Hot and Cold

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jacampbell, Feb 15, 2006.

1. jacampbell

jacampbell New Member

Does anyone else get hot and cold flashes? I am 37 so I don't think it is menopause but I have been having hot and cold flashes for years. I will be shivering one minute and sweating the next - sometimes at the same time.

My face is always warm and flushed and sensitive to touch especially like a cold washcloth. And now I have been getting headaches every day from the sunlight that comes in my window at work.

It seems like as I remedy one symtom, I get a new one. Like FMS has to come out some way.

I am getting so frustrated.
  2. jacampbell

jacampbell New Member

Thanks for the bump (is that what the b is?)
    but I guess I am the only one with this problem. :p

3. saphire27

saphire27 New Member

NO, your NOT alone.

I get hot flashes, but my skin can be cold. One minute I'm freezing, then the next i'm Hot. Is it "hot flashes"? dunno.

But my electric bill is killing our account! I have to put on sweats, then take them off, then put them on, ans so on!

I wonder what truely cuases it, my doc says ANXIETY DISORDER, some says FM, Some say pre Mpausal, SOme say circulation problem. All i know, is i'm taking one problem at a time with my Dr, and if nothing helps it BEFORE i get to that, then i'll demand for a REAL answer. If you find out, let me know okay?

take care
    bump
  4. anakinkaid

anakinkaid New Member

Greetings:

Not to play doctor, but cold spells and sudden heat rushes often occur in CFIDS/ME as the body is trying to reset a confused internal thermostat. Check your concern out on the good CFS sites and you can see alot of literature about it.

Also light sensitive is a common concern.

Don't get frustrated. We all go through trying to understand all this. Just keep looking for the facts; they ARE out there.

Best Wishes - Ana
  5. jacampbell

jacampbell New Member

Thanks for the advise.

I was diagnosed about 2 years ago and was blindly following my doctor but wasn't getting any better. My doctor's solution to everything was to just tell me it's normal and write a prescription for something else. So I decided to research some on my own. I have learned a lot from everyone on this site alone.

So thank you everyone for what you write. I am sure everyone feels like I do, even though we can't respond to every post that we learn from we still get lots of advise and renewed determination from all of the posts.

:)
  6. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

Talk about frustrated...I have been living with the broken thermostat for years. In fact my husband has always told me it was stuck or broken. He even compared me to his truck when it needed a new thermostat. Yesterday it was in the upper 60's here and I was burning up all day. Cooked supper and was too hot to eat it. Today it is in the upper 60's again and I am freezing to death. My hands are so cold they hurt. I had ceiling fans on yesterday and am covered in a quilt today. The only explanation I have ever received from a doctor is FMS and anxiety. Who wouldn't have problems with anxiety that has to live with FMS everyday???? I too believe there is something the doctors aren't "catching" with me but what do you do when you have been to different doctors and had all sorts of tests and no one can tell you for sure what is wrong with you? Frustrating isn't it? And they wonder why we have anxiety?
    Stinker56
  7. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

Yes, same thing here. Been going on for 10 years since I got CFS. Flushed face, cold feet, hot , burning up one minute, can't get warm the next. Had nothing to do with menopause since I am 59 and on estrogen since I had a complete hysterectomy when I was 43.

Today in Georgia it was in the 70's and I spent most of the day in my recliner with my electric throw on # 8 setting because I couldn't get warm. It's nuts. And I swear there's not a doctor I've seen in 10 years that can tell you why this happens or what to do about it other than take off or put on clothes/blankets and keep jockeying that thermostat on the wall. Somedays I could just scream.

Harrysmom
  8. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

All of the sudden I feel like I have a fever, I'll take my temp and it is below normal ( around 97.5).
    I am trying some natural thyroid supplements to see if my temp comes up.
    I am 38 so I don't think it is a hot flash. It could be, but from people that really have hot flashes this is a bit different.
    It kind of feels like a surge of heat and sometimes I also feel a bit nauseus.
    After that I will get the chills ( like I am getting the flu, but don't).
    The doctor thinks I am nuts when I mention this!:)
    Glad to hear I am not the only one.:)
    If you find out what it is let me know!:)
    Maybe it has something to do with our endocrine system , thyroid function, cortisol, adreneline, etc.

Just a guess.
    Take care.
    claudia

[This Message was Edited on 02/16/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/16/2006]
  9. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

I can't stand the cold, never could. Now it has gotten so I can't stand the heat either. I am cold one minute and hot the next. I have to dress in layers so I can easily add an article or lose one.
    When I am exerting myself my face gets red and flushed, sensative to the touch. If I am out in the sun I need sunglasses and a hat or I can not see and get bad headaches.
    I have no idea what causes this. I think mabey one of the meds I take could contribute to this problem but am not sure.
    Sorry I am no help in finding a cause or remedy.
    A
  10. jacampbell

jacampbell New Member

All of you have describe it so well! It does feel like you have the flu and a fever - flushed with shivers - dizziness.

I read when you have FMS that exercise can make you feel like you have the flu and that was a light bulb moment for me because I have always exercised and couldn't understand what was happening to me and now I get the feeling just by standing up after sitting for awhile. I thought it was because I was out of shape.

I weigh about 30lbs more since I was on bed rest during my pregnancy with my son and and I feel so stiff and uncomfortable.

I really miss exercising. I wish I could find something I could do but I am afraid to try anything anymore because everything I have tried makes me feel awful and takes me a week to recover from.