Hot at night

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lavender_butterfly, Oct 3, 2002.

1. lavender_butterfly

lavender_butterfly New Member

I have so many questions, I don't know where to start. And my fibro fog is BAD right now, so I am lucky if I can form a complete sentence! LOL! But I will try.

I was having hot flashes all summer long, but then they suddenly stopped. According to my doctor, she said the hot flashes were due to the fibro and not to feminine troubles, which is what I has suspected and asked her to check out. She ran test after test after test, just to be sure. Everything came back "fine" or "normal" or negative" etc., etc.

The flashes were horrible. I would wake up at night, drenched in sweat, burning up, and miserable. When those stopped, I was very happy. But since my symptoms have increased and worsened, I have noticed something strange. I am not having hot flashes, no. I am just damn hot all night long.

I am normally very sensitive to cold and freezing all year long, so this is definitely out of character for me. Around an hour to two hours before I go to bed, I start heating up. My face is so hot, my husband can actually feel the temperature change. But I won't register a temperature on a thermometer. Soon, my entire body is roasting. I start throwing clothes off, opening windows, and sitting in front of a fan. I will get so overheated, my head will start to pound and I will feel nauseous. And the problem is, it lasts all night long. I wake up feeling the same way. After about 30 to 50 minutes, I will start to feel better and by the time I leave for work, I am my normal temperature again.

Yesterday, I had just the opposite thing happened to me at work. I was so cold, I was like ice. My hands and feet literally hurt like I was in freezing temperatures, even though I was inside by my desk heater, trying to warm them up. I was shaking and trembling and a coworker felt me to see if I felt hot on my forehead. She said that even my forehead was like ice. I wasn't able to warm up again until I got home from work. And then, like clockwork, an hour before I went to bed, I was hot.

I am rather new to all of this. I was diagnosed with FMS in Augus, female, and I am 30t. Does FMS cause problems with temperature regulation? Or could this be attributed to something else? Any advice, stories, or information would be very gratefully received. Thank you!
  2. lavender_butterfly

lavender_butterfly New Member

I have so many questions, I don't know where to start. And my fibro fog is BAD right now, so I am lucky if I can form a complete sentence! LOL! But I will try.

I was having hot flashes all summer long, but then they suddenly stopped. According to my doctor, she said the hot flashes were due to the fibro and not to feminine troubles, which is what I has suspected and asked her to check out. She ran test after test after test, just to be sure. Everything came back "fine" or "normal" or negative" etc., etc.

The flashes were horrible. I would wake up at night, drenched in sweat, burning up, and miserable. When those stopped, I was very happy. But since my symptoms have increased and worsened, I have noticed something strange. I am not having hot flashes, no. I am just damn hot all night long.

I am normally very sensitive to cold and freezing all year long, so this is definitely out of character for me. Around an hour to two hours before I go to bed, I start heating up. My face is so hot, my husband can actually feel the temperature change. But I won't register a temperature on a thermometer. Soon, my entire body is roasting. I start throwing clothes off, opening windows, and sitting in front of a fan. I will get so overheated, my head will start to pound and I will feel nauseous. And the problem is, it lasts all night long. I wake up feeling the same way. After about 30 to 50 minutes, I will start to feel better and by the time I leave for work, I am my normal temperature again.

Yesterday, I had just the opposite thing happened to me at work. I was so cold, I was like ice. My hands and feet literally hurt like I was in freezing temperatures, even though I was inside by my desk heater, trying to warm them up. I was shaking and trembling and a coworker felt me to see if I felt hot on my forehead. She said that even my forehead was like ice. I wasn't able to warm up again until I got home from work. And then, like clockwork, an hour before I went to bed, I was hot.

I am rather new to all of this. I was diagnosed with FMS in Augus, female, and I am 30t. Does FMS cause problems with temperature regulation? Or could this be attributed to something else? Any advice, stories, or information would be very gratefully received. Thank you!
  3. dd

dd New Member

I am the same way. I am either too hot or too cold, there is no in between. My ice bags are my best friends. At night I put one on the back of my neck just to get cooled down. My husband is laying next to me shivering because I have the air down to 60 and I am still hot. My poor kids walk around with comforters around them just to stay warm.

At first my OB thought that I was going thru pre-menopause but all labs came back normal. They did ,however, find that I had a very underactive thyroid so I am on Synthroid now. It has helped the hottness. My body temp is always on the low side, even when I am burning up. If I hit 98.6 I have a fever.

I can't tolerate the heat outside at all. I live in Florida so the heat is very hard to escape. When I go outside I get sick to my stomach and dizzy. When I get back in the house where it is cool I am better within 5 minutes. I also have hypoglycemia and that affects the body too when the blood sugar is low. When my BS is low I get the shakes and headaches and feel hot or cold. When I eat the feeling goes away.

Wishing you a "cool" day.

Debbie
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

to everything you guys have said........I roast at night and have had to sleep in the guest room because my husband's body heat next to mine can be unbearable!
    Yukky!
    Kady
  5. vloga

vloga New Member

Hi, lavender butterfly. Your advice on postings has really helped me since I first signed on a few weeks ago - thanks !!

I found that the continuous heat was due to a milk allergy, but it took me years to find that out. When I realised that eating dairy products triggered the high temperatures, it was easy (not!) to cut them out.

Now if I want to heat up, I just dive into the supermarket for a yogurt or some cheese ! The temperature changes still happen, and I can't control them, but they usually only get bad if I'm going down with something or I eat out at someone's home and can't say no to the hostess.

It helps me being in a temperate climate though - if it gets above 70 degrees then my body temperature just goes all over the place.

If you do have "female" problems, rose oil and geranium oil are very good for regulating the system, apparently.

Best wishes

Vloga
  6. dlizard

dlizard New Member

sometimes I get so hot I could attempt to spontaneously combust!!! I mean that too... seriously... I feel it start in my ears... then my face... then all over... there have been times when I have become completely drenched in sweat with completely wet hair... It's weird and noone can explain it. I , being a nurse in my "former" life LOL>>> think the key is neuro. Ya'll know just like I do that the medical community has no clue what is wrong with us... but this is a neuro symptom!! I have seen many a neuro/head injury patient do this very same thing. I just can't understand why noone else wants to see it and I'm afraid the key to that answer is all about money. Anyway, yeah... this hot thing goes with fibro.. I've had it a long long time! Good luck!
  7. pepper

pepper New Member

According to my family and friends our house is freezing! I, on the other hand, am very comfortable. They can put on sweaters, I can only take so much off.

I broke the air conditioning in the house by setting the temp too low. I found this hot summer UNBEARABLE.

Funny thing is, I used to LOVE the heat, went south in the winter, baked in the sun in the summer. Was miserable all winter. Now - I just can't wait for the snow to fall. I sit outside in below zero weather and enjoy it!

The difference is that I am like this almost all the time. My scalp is drenched along with the first couple of inches of my hair as soon as I do any little physcial thing.

One thing you may want to have checked is your thyroid. I have had this heat thing for 10 yrs and my doc would never refer me to an endocrinologist because my blood tests came back in normal range. Last time they were normal too but I insisted on further tests. He sent me for an ultrasound and it was very enlarged. The thyroid is an important part of your body's temperature controlling mechanism. The endocrinoligst has put me on synthroid which makes me even hotter but he is hoping things will stabalize with time.