Hot feet

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by yagottalaff, Aug 17, 2006.

1. yagottalaff

yagottalaff New Member

For the past couple of weeks, my feet have felt like they're on fire. They are not hot to the touch; they just feel like they're grilling steaks. Plus, when my feet hit the floor when I walk, there is quite a bit of pain. I've done nothing bizarre to my feet in the last few weeks, like firewalking or anything. Nothing I have tried to do to alleviate the pain has helped -- cool Epsom soaks, vibrating mechanisms, massage, Flexall -- nothing.

My legs are hurting really badly, too. They don't seem to want to hold me up. They have that burning sensation going on, too. Has anyone experienced anything like this?!? Or am I just way too into global warming?
    BUMP BUMP
  2. blueski31717

blueski31717 New Member

Get this alot is called hot foot. Many causes, main causes they say is trapped nerve or neuropathy.....

Causes

Neuroma Pain (pinched nerve between 3rd and 4th toes)

Athlete's foot can sometimes produce a burning sensation

Gout

High levels of alcohol consumption

Tight, damp shoes and socks manufactured from man-made materials or allergic reaction to materials

Generally hot and sweaty feet due to fatigue

Smoking

Neuropathy

Thyroid problems

Gastric restriction in obese people

Insulin dependent diabetes

Vitamin deficiencies

Mechanical causes e.g. Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome (entrapment of the nerve).....

with legs involved could be circulation?

3. yagottalaff

yagottalaff New Member

Nice list, blueski. Thank you...

I can rule out smoking, alcohol, vitamin deficiency, obesity, tight shoes, and sweaty feet. Basically, I'm stuck with thyroid problems or neuropathy. Since I need an update on my thyroid medication, I'll start there, although I think gabapentin might be of help as well.

Thanks again for the info!
  4. puffy1

puffy1 New Member

I have that pain in my feet like I have been on them all day when I have'nt mine is in the soles of my feet and my legs ache. my neice has had the same thing having recently be diagnosied with fibro.

I have found no releif.

but I do have a low thyroid have had one for yeras.

Teri
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Have you ever had that checked out? They can test you for that...my hubby had this for years due to Type 2 Diabetes, got worse recently. You can have neuropathy though, without having diabetes...

He decided, after long soul-searching, to try Effexor (an AD also recommended for neuropathic pain) which his doctor had urged him to try. Within the first 24 hours, the pain was gone, literally. After years of exactly the kind of pain you described, day after day. He's now walking, hiking and just this week started running again---all things he'd given up.

Some people say Alpha-Lipoic acid also helps neuropathy, so you could try this supplement. My husband took it for a year at large doses (and at great expense) and it never helped, but some folks apparently get relief from it.

It's amazing what the Effexor has done. But ask your doctor about at least ruling neuropathy in or out...

Hope you feel better,
    Pam
  6. yagottalaff

yagottalaff New Member

Pam,

Thanks for the Effexor info. Does your huby take it AM or PM? I take 20 mg. Celexa AM and could maybe substitute the Effexor for it...
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Just once a day. I know all ADs are not recommended for neuropathy, but Effexor and Cymbalta are two that are. He's found it helped him quickly (they say give it a few days, but he was much improved in 24 hours).

Good luck to you!

Pam
  8. ladyhawke70xy

ladyhawke70xy New Member

I was having hot feet and hands while I was on Topomax. Haven't noticed it since I went off of it.

Could that be a possibility?
  9. yagottalaff

yagottalaff New Member

Don't know anything about topomax. What kind of drug is it?
  10. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

The doctors say it is Neuropathy. They feel like they are hot, and sometimes they are to the touch, sometimes not.
    Topamax is an anti-seizure drug used for pain, neuropathy. I take Elavil an AD and Neurontin, also an anti-seizure med. I can only wear certain kinds of shoes, Ecco, Puma, Merrel, and also I have Orthotics which are made by a Podiatrist which fit inside of your shoes.

I hope some of this info will help. A Neurologist will be able to diagnose Neuropathy.

Laura
  11. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

So, I was sitting here tonight beginning to read posts. And as I was reading I was thinking about how my feet are burning right now, and they feel like they are on fire. I don't know if it's yet another stange CFIDS/FM symptom, or if it's because I bought new shoes for work.

Then, all of a sudden, I saw your post. I think my jaw dropped to the ground because it was just perfect timing, lol. So to answer your question, yes, I can relate to this symptom.

Gentle hugs,
    Kim