Hot Flashes, Night Sweats and Sleep Problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by dhcpolwnk, Oct 10, 2002.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I have been having hot flashes and night sweats recently that I think are contributing a lot to my sleep problems. I recently stopped hormone replacement threrapy and substituted black cohosh and soy and my doctor's suggestion. I've assumed that the hot flashes are because of going off the HRT, but I've had the night sweats periodically for a while. They've just gotten worse.

Two questions:

1. Are night sweats associated with fibromyalgia? (I've seen some others on this board mention having them.)
    2. For those who experience night sweats and have their sleep disturbed by them, what, if anything, have you found to be helpful?

I just started on 300 mg. of Neurontin at bedtime to help me sleep (gradually increased from 100 mg. a nigh). I'm not sure yet whether it's helping, but if the night sweats keep waking me up, I don't know whether the Neurontin will have much of a chance.

Thanks for any insights or information you can share.

--Laura

2. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I have been having hot flashes and night sweats recently that I think are contributing a lot to my sleep problems. I recently stopped hormone replacement threrapy and substituted black cohosh and soy and my doctor's suggestion. I've assumed that the hot flashes are because of going off the HRT, but I've had the night sweats periodically for a while. They've just gotten worse.

Two questions:

1. Are night sweats associated with fibromyalgia? (I've seen some others on this board mention having them.)
    2. For those who experience night sweats and have their sleep disturbed by them, what, if anything, have you found to be helpful?

I just started on 300 mg. of Neurontin at bedtime to help me sleep (gradually increased from 100 mg. a nigh). I'm not sure yet whether it's helping, but if the night sweats keep waking me up, I don't know whether the Neurontin will have much of a chance.

Thanks for any insights or information you can share.

--Laura

3. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

I am 36 and have FM along with other illnesses and I have night sweats and day sweats and the hot flashes. I was on HRT to for a while and it did not stop them. So I asked the doc and he said that it goes along with the FM. You may also want to have your thyroid and your blood pressure checked because I also have high blood pressure and hypothyroidism. I finally have the blood pressure under control but the thyroid continues to go down hill.
    Hope this helps!
    Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  4. majic

majic New Member

since i have been on the ZMA. i do not have night sweats anymore. i'm not taking anything else at this moment at night. i do take effexor during the day and i'm weaning my self off of this. i think that all i need is the ZMA at this time in my life. i sleep all night and wake up rested and feeling good thru the day. it really has helped me. i know with the effexor this is one of the side effects (night sweats). so check your drugs and see if it could be the culprit to. i think it can be a lot of diffrent things for us. good luck in your search. majic
  5. lazygrant

lazygrant New Member

can u tell me exactly what u feel when u have the hot flashes? i have like a warm sensation a couple times a week then runs down my arms. it almost feels like my blood is hot and running through my veins. what do you think? i have cfs, high blood pressure, low sodium level, etc. etc. recently i have had alot of tingling in my left hand. and a bad back ache. its always something. it gets so dang depressing! i've been trying to cope with this diesease for 12 years. good days and bad, i just try to appreciate the somewhat good days. so how about the hot flashes, oh yeah, i am 42 years old. that might help.
    thanks
  6. well you can use progesteril it can solve all your problem about night sweat and hot flashes.