Hot flashes/night sweats - does anyone have any words of wisdom?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by barbaradh, Sep 11, 2003.

1. barbaradh

barbaradh New Member

Is anyone out there having this problem? My doctors have told me these are NOT from menopause, and I don't have any kind of infection or virus (from what they tell me). The hot flashes leave me soaking wet during the day, and at night, I wake up so soaked that I have to change my bedclothes, and often my sheets. This has been going on since January, and I can't link it to any of my meds. I alternate between being so cold I'm shivering and my teeth are chattering, so I bundle up in fleece (yes, even in the summer), and then suddenly I feel like I'm on fire. The sweat literally drips off of me - it's really disgusting.

HELP!!!

Barbara
  2. jan5473

jan5473 New Member

I was having a problem with sweating profusely and found out it was the celexa. If you are on anti depressants that might be causing it. Just be sure and check with your doctor before changing any medications Jan
  3. herblady

herblady New Member

i might have some help for you. try drinking a cup of sage tea twice a day to cut back excessive sweating. it's pretty effective. to make it take 1 tsp sage powder and steep it in boiled water for 5 minutes. you can strain it through a coffee filter sitting in a strainer. cindi
  4. Therrell

Therrell New Member

I happened to be at the doctor's office today on a totally (FM) unrelated appointment. We were discussing "terible hot flashes" and not being able to take estrogen. She said that there are several things on the market for hot flashes that were not hormones. Black pot ash was one, but if it might help I will be glad to call her tomorrow. Just say the word. If it helps I have the same thing and it seems that they come more often when I am nervous.
  5. Therrell

Therrell New Member

I happened to be at the doctor's office today on a totally (FM) unrelated appointment. We were discussing "terible hot flashes" and not being able to take estrogen. She said that there are several things on the market for hot flashes that were not hormones. Black pot ash was one, but if it might help I will be glad to call her tomorrow. Just say the word. If it helps I have the same thing and it seems that they come more often when I am nervous.
  6. barbaradh

barbaradh New Member

Thanks everyone for your help. I know it wasn't from an antidepressant, because I hadn't started on a new one at that time, or any other new medicine for that matter. I do remember one of my doctors mentioning something about my hypothalmus and how that was not functioning properly. The only time this has gone away was in the Spring when I had a sinus infection and was put on antibiotics - relief for 7 days - it was great! However, I'm on an antibiotic right now (the same one) for bronchitis, but it hasn't had the same effect. I've decided to dress in layers, and that seems to be working better than anything - I just remove layers (and add layers) as needed.

Thanks all!
    Barbara
  7. ksp56

ksp56 Member

My doctor told me hot flashes were a part of menopause. Due to estrogen based breast cancer, I am not able, and probably wouldn't even if I could, take HR treatment.

I have found that they don't seem to be as frequent as they were. Vitamin E has helped me some.

They say our 'internal thermostat' is sometimes messed up with fibro, so that might also be a problem!

Hot flashes and night sweats are truly wicked. I hope you find something to help relieve them!

Another 'Hottie',

Kim
  8. ksp56

ksp56 Member

HI!

I have a question about sage tea! Do you get it at health food stores? Does it say how to use it? Due to my faulty memory, I will forget what you said by the time I buy it! LOL!

Any information you have on this, I would really be interested in!

Kim
  9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I had nightsweats/daysweats for over 16 years. I went through menopause, and still was getting them.

I found out from Devin Starlanyl's book on FM, that it is a part of this illness.

Mine have been a lot better since I started taking ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6) at night for sleep.

I still get them, but not as often and not as bad. I was like you, I would be drenched in sweat to the point that I used to keep extra nightclothes by the bed to change in the middle of the night.

I also kept an ice bucket with ice cubes, and a facecloth in it to wipe my face during the night. It is horrible.

Someone mentioned the brain? maybe thats why the ZMA helped, the magnesium/zinc in it.

Sure hope you find some help soon, that is so miserable.

I am so used to dressing in layers, that I still do that. I never leave home without a light jacket or sweater. If I am in a store and its cold, and I get a flash then I will be freezing being all wet. So I carry something to put on at all times.

Before I started doing this I was always getting bronchitis from being wet in cold stores! I learned the hard way to dress in layers.

For whoever asked Herblady about where to get the sage tea? Try a healthfood store.

Shalom, Shirl

10. donna13210

donna13210 Member

You didn't mention your age, but are you aware you can have pre-menopausal symptoms for YEARS before they declare you officially in menopause?

I have the night sweats too and hate them also. I am in menopause but have been having the night sweats for years. Estrogen (HRT) eliminated my daytime hot flashes, but is not helping with the night sweats. Which would lead me to believe it may not be related to menopause in my case.

I imagine those of us with night sweats don't get a decent night's sleep, being so uncomfortable. I'm sure I wake up, tossing and turning, but don't always remember doing so. But I DO remember when I have to get up and change my nightclothes !

I believe the herb referenced by another poster is Black Cohosh. I took it for awhile, but didn't help me. But I have heard it has helped others. Worth a try !

Good luck. If I ever hear of anything else we can try, I'll be sure to post it.
  11. Kidnurse

Kidnurse New Member

I have a similar problem. I don't sweat at night but do sweat profusely during the day....but not every day. It most often happens at work, if I feel anxious it will start or if the weather is the slightest bit humid. I was on Wellbutrin and when I stopped taking it for about a week the sweating stopped. The doctor tried me on another anti-depressent for a month and it started again. Excessive sweating seems to be a side effect of all the anti-depressents. How is an anti-depressant actually supposed to help with FM?
    Barb
  12. barbaradh

barbaradh New Member

I KNOW that hot flashes are part of menopause. My doctors are saying that the intensity of the hot flashes/night sweats I'm having are NOT due to menopause though. I don't know, maybe they're wrong. In any event, I can't take hormones because I'm on Tamoxifen due to a precancerous condition in both breasts. I've tried Vitamin E, Evening Primrose, and Black Cohosh, but nothing is working. If they're wrong and it IS menopause, then I say THANK GOD! Finally! I'm 49, and all of the females in my family went through menopause early (started in their 30's and they were through it by their mid 40's), but for some reason I have to be the odd one. And I only have one ovary (lost one because of a tumor), and I had a hysterectomy when I was 35 (although I guess that wouldn't have anything to do with it).

Thanks,
    Barbara
  13. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I hope something does give you relief Barbara. As I said they are very wicked! Mine aren't as bad as they were, but slightly increased as this DD started to invade. I was 41 when I started into 'chemopause' and then my hysterectomy took care of the rest. I don't have ovaries. The surgeon didn't want them there to produce estrogen,

I'm interested in the tea that Herblady mentioned. At this point, I will try anything!

Hope today is a 'cool' one for you!

Hugs,

Kim
  14. herblady

herblady New Member

first, therrell, you mentioned black pot ash. there's no such thing, it's black cohosh, and its the best one for estrogen replacemtn, in my opinion. hi kim. you don't have to go anywhere special to get it. you can use the sage in your spice rack, that's what i do. but i do make sure and buy the best they have. mccormick's rubbed dalmation sage is the best. cindi