hot flashes???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by damyank, Dec 26, 2005.

1. damyank

damyank New Member

I gotta say this is very unusal coming from a 34 year old male but I am always hot and get flashes coming and going.I live in the south and it recently just seems to get worse.It doesn't help it was 67 here either,is this a common fibro symptom?or is it in my head?
    mike
  2. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

Being a 53 year old female, I can say this is common place for me. I think it is a side effect of several anti-depressant medications, however, also. I noticed the hot flashes on effexor and now on cymbalta I am getting them, too. Usually in the evening right after or during dinner.
    Sound familar?? Now you know how we menopausal women feel. Not funny, huh?
    And, of course it's not in your head!
  3. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

Dear damyank

The flushes are not in your head - even though your head might be the hottest part of your body when you get the flush. I am another hotbod - as many cfs/fm people are.

Rather than call them hot flashes, you might like to use the term autonomic thermostatic instability - sounds more masculine.

Have heard lots of explanations for them - I believe that mine are caused by either hypathalamus (sp?) not functioning properly or liver overload.

I live in sub-tropical Qld, and today we have 36c i.e., about 97f. My poor little airconditioner is as sick as I am and they are predicting 40c. i.e., about 104f. for new year's day. The joy of global warming.

I have not found anything that really helps me. I go everywhere with a fan. Good luck.
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

The next time that you go to your doc who is treating your fibro, ask him/her what they think.

You might also have some hormones out of whack. Don't laugh! I am sure that some men's hormones aren't what they should be--a simple blood test could tell you.

If you were a woman and 34, I would say that you are entering peri-menopause. Maybe there "IS" a male menopause. I would ask your doc for a serious answer about the hormone issue.

I have had fibro since I was 10 (I'm now close to 55) and the ONLY hot flashes that I have ever been through were associated with menopause.

Or ... perhaps there is another medical reason for it that your doc could answer. Have you ever done a google search on the web for "male hot flashes" and see what you come up with?

Hope you can find an answer.

Holiday Hugs,
    Janet
  5. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Even though I'm Canadian EH !.. I think your WalMart will have gel packs ( Equate, their store brand)that you put in the freezer .. they are such a wonderful relief when you are hot-flashing .. I buy 6 at a time and rotate them ..
    Good Luck !
    Fudge : )
  6. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I have some awful ones since last December. I've been put on an antidepressent, thyroid meds as well as the other usual FM ones.

A lot of these pills have sweating as a side effect. I also think it has something do to with FM as well. They certainly don't feel like the menopause ones I used to get.

Talk with your Dr and maybe he'll have some suggestions. What I do is keep a fan at my desk at work, and we have a fan going in our bedroom every night! Imagine that and our Canadian winter too!!!!

Regards,

EIleen
  7. Zombie69

Zombie69 New Member

Hi there. I saw your post and had to reply. It's not at all strange for you to be having hot flashes being a male. I have horrible hot flashes all of the time and I have always thought them to be caused by my medication that I'm on - Methadone. But maybe it's from the FM? I don't know now but I'm definetly going to check into it. It may be from the methadone, I'm not sure. Anyway, I get hot flashes out of nowhere, even a few weeks ago when it was freezing outside I had them. It's just that all of a sudden, my face gets super hot then I start sweating and I'm so hot that I can't stand it. My whole body sweats and although it feels the worse in my face it seems to be all over for me. I've awoken to find my sheets totally soaked from this. It's horrible and there's been times that I'm out in public when it just hits and I have to go find a fan or an ac in order to stay cooled off, no matter what temperature it is. It was the worse in the summer time. Methadone and summer just do not mix. I just wanted to let you know that I understand how you feel and that it happens to me all of the time too. I hate it but have learned to adjust to it. Just get yourself in front of a fan or something when they start and it'll help alot. It doesn't matter how cold it is outside, when they hit - they hit regardless of the temp. Take care, if I learn anything about this then I'll be sure to let you know.
  8. H-Dman

H-Dman New Member

I am a 49 year old male & live on the tip of Lake Michigan where it gets very cold. I worked outside most of my adult life for an electric utility as a lineman. I suffer the same problem of extreme hot flashes and have for many years, regardless of the weather. Currently working on obtaining disability benefits thru social security and my employer. FM & CFS are terrible diseases for anyone to have to suffer with. Extremely hard for me to accept the cards I've been dealt. Guess I have no other choice.
  9. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

yes, I get them too. doc tried to tell me it is from the effexor, but I was having them before I went on it -- they come and go.

I find they are worse when my pain is worse -- I'm pretty sure it is autonomic nervous system dysfunction, and some endocrine imbalances, too. Wish I could find a doc who would take this seriously.