Hot Humid Weather

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Manwithfibro, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

IT is so muggy and miserable here. It just makes the FM feel awful. I am so stiff and achy.

Does anyone notice a big change when weather is hot and humid?
  2. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

and I LOVED the humidity for my bones. It made me feel better. I now live in Northwest Washington state where the weather is moderate year round, but, I'm chilled. My husband is completely comfortable. The humidity is very low here as is the number of jobs............dolsgirl
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I live in Louisiana, and hot and humid is the norm, I stay indoors during the day, and need to be careful to go out in the evening or early morning, as the mosquitos will carry you off out into the great swamps :)

I noticed you are from San Diego?? I thought that you have the most perfect weather in the whole country? Just a bad day today?

Shalom, Shirl

4. averilpam

averilpam New Member

I don't do well in heat generally, and when it's humid i just get so sluggish and achy, it becomes such an effort to walk.

It's daft really as over here in the UK we are always complaining our summers aren't warm enough for long enough!!

My daughter lived in San Diego for a few years and loved the climate, it got hot but tended not to get too humid. I found it better than the humid heat we often get here.
    Pam
  5. atrinigyal29

atrinigyal29 New Member

Yes, I live in Florida and the summer months seem to be the worst time of year for me. I have been staying indoors in the A/C for the most part and do find that I feel worse when I'm outdoors in the heat and humidity. I also tend to feel achy and muscles feel very stiff too.
    Alicia
  6. sheelanagigs

sheelanagigs New Member

i dunno. hard to tell with hot flashes AND heat/humidity.

i spent a month in the semi-wilds of (not in the cool mountains) panama last summer and the flashes were awful but cfs/fm/me wise i actually felt good!

i am sure it had something to do with LOTS of water, good fresh food, and the constant detox of sweating any and every toxin out of my body at least five times a day

this was NOT a vacation; i was working and staying in the home of a local family, so it was a strangely stressful environment

the panamanians insisted i drink noni juice--supposed to be great for immune system stuff. it is the nastiest stuff i have ever tasted and it is an even nastier looking thing (like something out of harry potter) but i have no doubt it is good for one! (although i did have noni nightmares of the things on me. i don't think i could ever touch one. ugh. and the smell! oh dear!)

i also followed the advice of some of the indigenous and chewed on leaves and flowers of godknowswhat but i really felt good cfs/fm/me wise.

i have spent even longer periods of time in northern ireland and holland--NI different seasons and holland only in the winter--and i felt great. probably has a lot to do with being out of the stress of the superpower and our crazy hectic way of life. all holland visits were vacations but the irish visits have been holiday AND work...

i'm in the bay area of california now, near the water in oakland and we don't get the cold and wind and fog of san francisco--i DO feel better in san francisco in that environment, but it's hard to feel bad in SF. our summer weather here is rarely above 85, but lately it's been hotter. nights are cool and there are days of really cool weather. i don't feel as good in the "summer time" of the bay area--september, october. but i'm irishamerican so my genes are predisposed to cooler climates anyway.

this stuff is just so weird. who knows?

oons
  7. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

I think that tropical storm broke up into our area....

The weather is nice here but San Diego is more humid that one would think. Most nights are over 90%.

I feel better in Mountains or anywhere there is dry air.

8. Kim

Kim New Member

I can take the humidity and I can take the heat. What I can't take is what we just came off of.....three or four days of clouds and rain....no sun. I prefer the Summer in Florida because I like to swim in the pool. I can't take the cold and have a hard time walking when the temperature is below 65. I'm in more pain during the cold.

kim
  9. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

were easier to tolerate than the New England summers. I felt great down there.

I wonder if the weather where I am in northwest Washington state, on the peninsula is like the San Francisco area?

dolsgirl
  10. moey1997

moey1997 New Member

I agree,
    I live in Atlanta and the hot humidity is killer on my fibro symptoms. I wake up so achy and stiff I can hardly move my body...hang in there fall is coming...

kim
  11. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

I seem to be the opposite of most of you. I love the heat. Anything under 75 and I am cold. When I am cold I am tense and that makes the pain much worse.
    One winter day I was cold and hurt so bad. I took soma which is a muscle relaxer and within a half hour I felt warm, relaxed and my body hurt so much less.
    Here it has been hot and VERY humid. I feel like I live in a rainforest and I'll take it any day over the cold.
    Ziggy
  12. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

It used to be that I felt BETTER with heat and humidity.

Now, when the humidity goes up, so do the aches and pains and stiffness
  13. lucky

lucky New Member

makes me miserable and I am much more fatigued than usual. And with the humidity comes the sweating and high discomfort.
    I live in a northern climate where the summer is short and sometimes very hot and humid, but these hot and humid days make my illness worse and I find great relief on a nice moderate cool day with the sun shining.
    Sincerely, Lucky
    [This Message was Edited on 07/17/2003]
  14. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

it's hot and humid all summer. I love hot weather, but the humidity makes my body turn to stone.
  15. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

I have said that right along. That's another thing people are less likely to believe. I am bad when a storm is coming and if I get too cold too.
  16. ksp56

ksp56 Member

A walking, talking barometer for our family. I can predict rain and humidty before any weather forecast can! LOL

The humidity really makes me ache all over. Dry hot weather doesn't affect me that much, but then there's the 'over heating' cycle to deal with!

Our AC is set close to Artic conditions!

Hope this helps!

Kim
  17. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Watch what you are saying about 'Noni' juice! I have been taking it now for about 1 1/2 years, I stopped about two weeks ago and I have been getting bouts of IBS so bad.......

I ran back to that nasty tasting, nasty smelling, nasty looking, liquid! I just wanted to see if it was helping me or not, well I sure got my answer, and paid for it big time.

I have been buying it by the case. It did help the IBS (as I well know now :(

I take a tablespoon full before each meal, and I cut it with a tablespoon of grape juice kind of cuts that nasty taste (nothing could kill that odor).

Those natives know what they are talking about, I am a true believer now.

Shalom, Shirl

18. Iggy_RN

Iggy_RN New Member

the weather is not that humid, but just the slightest amt of it makes me feel so much more pain. But the heat is horrible for me as well, I feel more fatigue and exhaustion. Iggy
  19. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

It is so humid here. I seriously cramp up all over in really humid weather.

Amazing how the dry is so much better.
  20. AnitaQuiles

AnitaQuiles New Member

Wow! I thank you for your posting. I know now that it is common to have this with FM. I thought I was the only one that had this problem with muggy weather..I have been really miserable for the last two weeks. My bones are achy to the point that bursitis has kept me in bed for three days...I thought it was on my mind, but it is the hot weather. I live in the south USA, and we are now having three days of rain, and two of miserable hot sun.....and when the rain is about to come, it is when I get really achy, bursitis flares up, costochondritis too, and my knees feel weird, together with muscle spasms. I apply heating pads, or apply icy hot gel, and take Ultracet...it helps some. I hope you feel better soon.

[ advertisement ]