Hot rice socks (Jackie)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kurt, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Kurt

Kurt New Member

Jackie,

I have heard you bring up hot rice socks before! I have a couple of questions about them. I have thought about bringing a heating pad to work, but the hot rice socks may work better.

Here are my questions:

1) How much are they and where can I get them?

2) How do you heat them up? Microwave?

3) How long do they stay hot/warm for?

Thanks in advance,

Kurt
  2. Kurt

Kurt New Member

Jackie,

I have heard you bring up hot rice socks before! I have a couple of questions about them. I have thought about bringing a heating pad to work, but the hot rice socks may work better.

Here are my questions:

1) How much are they and where can I get them?

2) How do you heat them up? Microwave?

3) How long do they stay hot/warm for?

Thanks in advance,

Kurt
  3. Jackie F

Jackie F New Member

A support group had made then and done some fancy work on them and were selling them to raise money for speakers at their meetings.

Simply buy men's tube socks. I even tyedyed them and added some hair scrungies for handles.
    I use about 2 -cups--I think it was of raw rice. swe ot even tie them shut. Microwave for about 2-4 minutes depending on your microwave.

TIP: It does smell like cooked rice--so, maybe you would like to do what many have done. Add some spices--like cinnamon, cloves, allspice etc. Adds a nice aroma. Some hate the smell of cooked rice.

They are resueable amny times.
    I keep anout 4-6 in my freezer too for ice packs that aren't quite as hard on me as regular ice packs.

Another tip--if your feet bother you. Take off your shoes--mid-day and use an hot or iced one for some real stress release. I used to feel like I had taken a nap.

The sign for me that mine were in need of replacement; was when they no longer held the heat as long.

I think the length of time they can last heated, depends on how long you are able to heat it.

Example: My feet can take a longer time in the micro--so it does last longer for me. Sometimes as long as 30 minutes or more.

The beauty of these is that they are so cheap. They did start selling similar ones at Penneys and other stores in the late 90's. But they are so simple to make.

This gives a moist deeper heat than conventional heating pads. Most PT, Chiros, and Osteopaths recommend moist heat.
    Little kids get a kick out of them too.

BUT CAUTION!! They do get real hot!

Best wishes!

Jackie F
  4. PrincessofYoga

PrincessofYoga New Member

Hi
    I use an herbal pack that I bought at a place near my home. It is a combination of herbs that are heavenly! You can even do moist heat by spraying it with water. I can’t stand the smell of the rice when it is hot so I couldn’t do the rice socks. I tried to add spices but it would come through the material and the smells together..eww

So, I use it like aromatherapy as well as the heating/cooling abilities. Unfortunately, it will only keep the heat for 30 min or so but you shouldn’t have constant heat on your muscles anyway.

Best of luck
    Namaste

Lisa
  5. selma

selma New Member

I wanted to know about them too.
    Thanks for responding Jackie F and Princess.
    Great! Will try.
  6. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I have been meaning to make me some of these Rice Socks.
    Right now I'm using hand towels that I wet in Hot water, and then pput in the Micro for 1 min on high.
    It gives me the Moist heat I need, and last's for 15-20 mins. I do Wrap the Hot towel in another and roll it up first, burned myself the first time. lol. not bad or I wouldn't laugh. ;o)

I also keep wet ones in the Freezer, in a zip lock bag, so when I need Ice I have it. I am always falling or Bumping my legs and I get big ole Hemotmo's (Sp) big bruise, lol,
    anyway the first 24 hours I use the Ice Towels, and then the next few days I apply the Moist towels to help the healing.

Jackie how about making some and selling them on the website and use the Money towards Research, just like they do for the Supplements. Then I could Buy something from this site. ;o) ----Designer types, pretty ones.
    We could sell them in the Health Stores too.
    Even enclose some FMS/CFS/MPS info.

God Bless You,
    kredca4
  7. Jackie F

Jackie F New Member

Good idea Beach Bunny! I could make them, donate them to ProHealth and they could sell them and donate to research!
    I like that!

I can only guess Sandy that maybe the rice was too old. I have never burnt any of them and have heated for over 5 minutes by accident once. Was shooting for an additional 50 seconds--but hit 5 minutes instead.

Sandy, I hope I didn't say I heated them for 30 minutes! I thought or meant to say: they stay warm/hot for about 30 minutes. I can see where that would be pretty dangerous!
    I'll go back and see if I did say it that way! Thanks for the heads up on it.

Jackie F
    PS Sandy, I think you may have misread it. I said that my feet can take a longer heating in the microwave and that way it will last about 30 minutes. I did notice I said he could swe it rather than sew it. hee hee

8. Renee T

Renee T New Member

Just kidding, Jackie - but that's how I read it!! (Maybe this is why I make sure my husband puts away the tube of deep heat at night, I can just see myself brushing my teeth with it when I am half-asleep the next morning!)

Thanks for a little chuckle this morning!

I tried to make the ULTIMATE Rice/Bean sock - I sewed this huge thing that is about 2 feet by 1 1/2 feet, and sewed channels in it, and then filled them up with milo. It is wonderful 'cause I can roll it up and brace my back against it - or it's so heavy that it can be used as a full "back" heatpack - BUT - it is so heavy that I don't use it nearly as much as the little one's you told me how to make.

I got a 50lb bag of milo for $6 here in rural Kansas, I think I'll be making Milo socks till the end of time!LOL

Have a Great Weekend,

Renee T

9. Jackie F

Jackie F New Member

You know we did talk about this a while back--well a long while back. But we seemed to all agree it would be so great but heavy.
    We were trying to figure how much it would take (beans, rice whatever) and how big the microwave would have to be to heat a full bed sized one?

BUT the thought was there!
    And as I recall, it then progressed to someone, single and alone, wanting to make a life sized male one. And from there---we went crazy! hee hee

Have a great weekend!
    Forgive my ignorance--what is milo?

Jackie F
  10. Renee T

Renee T New Member

Is a little round seed about the size of a very small pea. It is a crop grwon widely here in the "boonies", and I found the milo to be better than the rice (though it does stink, too) I don't know if it's because of the type of seed, the size, or what. But it feels more comfortable to me. It still heats and freezes really well, just like the rice. AND it was so much cheaper for me to buy!!

Hee Hee - I still have this image of you sticking your feet in the microwave...... doesn't take much to entertain some people, huh?