hot shower bother anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by discoverygal, Feb 15, 2007.

1. discoverygal

discoverygal New Member

I found the past couple of days that I feel worse after a shower. My niece feels good after a hot shower, but worse after a hot bath.

Is this the same with anyone else?
  2. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

can raise cytokines which are disease fighting substances that makes us feel bad. Standing up in a hot shower also drains the blood from the brain and it pools in the legs. It is suggested that you cool the shower temperature before you get out of the shower.

CherylSue
  3. NICUnurseang

NICUnurseang New Member

I love the shower water as hot as I can stand it but I can't tolerate it. Even if the water isn't really hot I'm always drained after my shower and usually have to lay down. The other replies had some really good suggestions. Heat causes vasodilation of your blood vessels and all your blood pools in your extremities, instead of where you need it like your head and heart! Also, I know I'm bad about locking my knees and so that along with the drop in blood pressure is a deadly combination that can lead to me passing out very quickly. Usually if I lie down a few minutes I will feel better though. I try to limit my time in the shower so that I don't have time to get too tired. I've found Sometimes a blast of cool water helps me get a little bit of blood flowing again. Keeping the bathroom door open or shower curtain cracked was a good suggestion too because it seems to help it from getting so steamy.
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

danettesmith:

I can not stand taking a shower or bath. Of course I do it, but have skipped a day in between.

Sometimes I feel like the water is pummeling me.

nyrofan
  5. momof471

momof471 New Member

I never take bath's anymore, and I feel so drained after a shower! Sometimes my skin is so sensitive the shower actually hurts. Most times it just leaves me wiped out.
  6. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

Hot bath is a nono. So is hot. evem warm weather. Warm showers i can do. Sun makes me weak....hot baths make me ill.
  7. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Hot showers make me feel good. It is very soothing to my muscles. It especially helps with my restless leg syndrome. If my legs are driving me crazy, a hot shower seems to calm them down. Sorry hot showers are not helping you, maybe warm?

Have you tried water therapy, exercise classes in the swimming pool for Fibro? That helped me a lot because it is low impact. It feels great on aching fibro muscles. My insurance covered it with a $10 co-pay through physical therapy which my doctor referred me to. Hope you are having a pain free day. Kim :)
  8. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Ever since I got CFS the shower just wipes me out EVERY TIME. I always have to rest after showering. I am always cold so I can't resist getting into a nice hot shower and finally being warm. It doesn't agree with me though.

Even a hot bath doesn't agree with me. I hate it because if I have any energy what so ever it is gone after the shower. And it isn't just the shower. The shower does it but the rest of the getting dressed process (getting out my clothes and putting them on, putting on my make up, drying my hair) finishes me off.

Like today...I actually had some energy and thought maybe I would leave the house. So at around 6pm I took a nice bath and got dressed and by the time I was done I was wiped out. I have been laying on the couch ever since.

SOOO frustrating! How sad is it that a simple shower wipes us out.

Take Care,
    Pam
  9. ayhatch

ayhatch New Member

I can't get my baths hot enough! I love 'em. I try to do one evry morning. It really helps loosen me up.
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

I can't get my shower water hot enough either!

I have a shower stool that I sit on and let that hot water beat down on my neck, shoulders, and back until I just about run the hot water tank out of hot water!

When I feel the water getting warm, I hurry up and wash my hair and soap down!

By the time I get out of the shower, the water is lukewarm and my body temperature is cooling down.

This hot water shower soothes my muscle pain and general body pain.

I also keep the doors to my house locked so I can leave the bathroom door ajar quite a bit and also leave the shower curtain open a bit to let some steam out.

I also don't know what I would do without my shower stool! I could never stand up long enough to take a quick shower!

After I'm done with my hot shower and applying all my lotions and powders, I sit down to rest for about an hour.
    It wears me out, too.

Hugs,
    Janet
  11. sues1

sues1 New Member

It is hard for me to move without a hot shower.

Water movement creates IONS that makes us feel better. Both mentally and physically .That is why they have fountains in malls. The better you feel the more you will shop!

But for some I guess something else causes a problem.

Love, Susan
  12. wasatch

wasatch New Member

I've had CFS for 20 years. Just a few months ago, I was diagnosed with MS. My MS neurologist said that hot baths, showers, heat generated from exercise, and heat in general can make a person with MS feel weak and ill. He said the reason is that neurons do not transmit neural impulses as effectively when they are overheated. Since person with MS have problems with neurons transmitting neural impulses already, the heat makes them feel the effects even more.

I read that, back before there were tests like MRI and lumbar puncture, the "hot bath test" was the test doctors used to diagnose MS.

I don't really have any advice, but I am beginning to wonder if CFS is a subtype of MS, or if they are both subtypes of an overarching disorder.
  13. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

are similar and overlapping, but different diseases. HHV6 is implicated in both. It's not surprising that the same things can bother both groups. Mecury toxicity is implicated in both as well.

CherylSue
  14. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

Nothing feels better than a hot shower...that is unless I stay in long enough to both wash my hair and shave my legs...the legs get achey and SWOLLEN...I look like one of those fat suits when I get out!

At least I can still laugh at some of the symptoms!

Joann
  15. jole

jole Member

I love them also. It limbers me up and stops the pain for 30 min or so afterward. Not long enough, but it sure helps. My muscles love it. I also like the heat of summer though, and feel better when it is 80 degrees or above. Just hate winter - I'm cold all the time, except for my shower!!!

Wonder why there is such a difference? I thought maybe CFS couldn't do heat while FM could, but might be all "wet" there.