Hot Tub Problem.....???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cbybay, Jan 7, 2007.

1. cbybay

cbybay New Member

Recently I moved where there is a clubhouse/ access to a hot tub. When I use it for more than 5 or so minutes I start to feel nauseated and uncomfortable. Also, the room it is in is kept quite warm. This feeling doesn't happen when I don't turn the jets on and there aren't any bubbles.

The only two things that come to my mind is 1.=my high BP meds (BP under control)
    or 2.=I am weird.

Everyone keeps telling me how good it would make me feel-I am not buying it! Anybody have any ideas??? C
  2. HurtsToMove

HurtsToMove New Member

I have a hot tub. When the temp is set at 104, it makes me nauseous. However, if it's at 101 them I'm fine. So the setting may just be too high for your body.
  3. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

There is one doctor who says that hot baths are good for muscles, but if you get the water hot enough to raise your core body temperature, you get your immune system overstimulated and release a 'cytokine storm'.
  4. kriket

kriket New Member

If you get too hot while in a hot tub, usually your heart will start pounding and then you get nausiated. If I get the water too hot, I get this same way, then get a really bad headache afterwards.

There have been times that I have nearly blacked out. Sounds like the temp. of the water is too hot for you. Be careful with this as it does/can raise your blood pressure.

Kriket
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

I, too, share your aversion to hot tubs, hot baths, saunas, the like. Many people with Adrenal problems, Cardiac or Central Nervous System problems cannot tolerate high sustained heat.

If you are only bothered when the bubbling is in use, I would suspect the Chlorine. May be releasing more Chlorine vapors than when it is turned off. Don't know really, I guess I'm weird too :)
  6. grace54

grace54 New Member

I had to experiment with mine as I found since my fibro set in I am too sensitive to the heat and felt faint and weak when I got out. I had to turn the heat way down to tolerate it.
    I have also read that extremes in temperature are not good for us. Time in unit and temp is important.
  7. TKE

TKE New Member

I also can't take hot baths or I get nauseated. My BP is normal, as are my adrenals...so I'm on the list for being weird too, LOL.

Docs wanted me to do the pool therapy. I can't stand the smell of the chlorine or the heated pool :(. So no pool therapy for me. I have a friend who has a whirlpool tub & has offerd me to go try it out. I can't stand cool water, so it's out too.

So far massage & a heating pad is as far as I can go without getting nauseated. Of course there's nothing better than curling up in a nice fluffy fleece blanket with my 4 Toy Poodles all snuggled up against me :).

Toy