Hot tubs and bacteria

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by spiritsky, Mar 2, 2006.

1. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

Here's an interesting article for anybody who likes hot-tubs and is concerned about or fighting infections and recurring infections. This also goes for any of you girls out there who like to get your nails done in a salon.

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Better think twice before soothing those aching muscles in a whirlpool bath or hot tub. A new study shows that whirlpool bathtubs can be a breeding ground for a host of disease-causing bacteria.

ADVERTISEMENT

Dr. Rita B. Moyes a microbiologist at Texas A & M University tested 43 water samples from both private and public whirlpool bathtubs. "Every tub tested had some kind of microbial growth," she told Reuters Health.

"And I was just getting the few organisms I was testing for, so it is probably just the tip of the iceberg as far as what is really present. Also, I did no viral testing," Moyes emphasized.

In 95 percent of the tubs, bacteria derived from feces were present, while 81 percent had fungi and 34 percent contained potentially deadly staphylococcus bacteria.

Moyes explained that a teaspoon of normal tap water contains about 138 bacteria and many samples are bacteria-free. A teaspoon of whirlpool tub water, on the other hand, contains an average of more than 2 million bacteria.

The interior pipes of whirlpool baths that are not filtered or chemically treated, and non-maintained hot tubs, are prime areas for potentially infectious microbes to congregate and grow, Moyes noted. These organisms often form a biofilm - a community of organisms, which work together and are more resistant to cleaners.

When the jets are switched on, the bacteria-packed water gets blown into the tub. "Due to the movement of the water, an aerosol is created that carries these organisms down into your lungs or other orifices - something that doesn't happen in a regular tub," Moyes explained.

The bacteria found in whirlpool baths can lead to a number of diseases, including urinary tract infections, skin infections, and pneumonia.

So who is most at risk? "Of course the young and the old and the immunocompromised should not be exposed, including breathing in the aerosol from outside the tub," Moyes said.

"A chemically maintained hot tub should not be a problem to a healthy person but if you are having recurring infections, consider the tub as a potential source," she added. Moyes' research is published in an online journal called PM Engineer.

2. memawwade

memawwade New Member

I would think that if you owed your own hot tub that you could control most of the problem. I have one and I'm sure no one has put any feces in it. However, I cannot tolerate chlorene and use bromene.
  3. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

My DH said the public ones should have sperm meters!!

Hugzz,
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I saw a show on TV about the bacteria in nail salons. The women who were infected had disfigured legs.

This is an incentive for me to maintain my flexibility so I can reach my toenails :)

Thanks for the info.

Love, Mikie
  5. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

if this would be the same as a whirlpool TUB like the ones in your OWN bath tub but it has JETS in it??? Or is it ONLY public hot tubs that you have chlorine etc in it?

Maybe this is a stupid ???? but I woul dlike to know.
    Thanks.
  6. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I don't have a Hot Tub but I have a Jacuzzi! About every 2 or 3 times I use it, after I'm done I leave the water in it and add about a half cup of automatic dishwasher liquid in it. I run it for about 5 minutes,and then drain. That cleans the pipes and disinfects the tub. This is what the manufacture said to do! It washes out silt that collects in the pipes also. This works very well and is safe for the tub.
    Shirley
  7. marw

marw New Member

I thought our hot tubs at our Health Clubs were no more contaminated than our swimming pools at the same place? Aren't they O.K. when they are treated with Chlorine?? Goodness knows, they put enough chlorine in ours at my Club! I ususally don't swim, or use the hot tub, either one, because of the enormous amount of chlorine. But sometimes I do in the summer or during a Flare.

However, if the chlorine is not killing these bacteria, then I don't want to use it at all! Does anyone know this? I would really like to know. I depend on the hot tub there...do not have one at home...for relief from Flares.

Also, what about our Steam Rooms and Saunas? Are they safe?
    I use those even more.

Any info appreciated.
    Thanks,
    margaret
  8. jaltair

jaltair New Member

No worry about bacteria when they are emptied and cleaned in your own home. I have one and love it!

Apt. owned hot tubs smell like "sperm" to me. I'll never forget once when I went in with a friend, we were in there for a while, then one of us (can't remember which) started to discuss how the smell of the tub seemed so familiar ... finally we connected it to the smell of sperm!!! Yikes!!! We both jumped out and almost went to the store to get a pregnancy test kit!! LOL :<0

Jeannette
  9. crdmkr2004

crdmkr2004 New Member

If you test your water regularly and add the appropriate chemicals daily, you shouldn't have a problem. Also, my husband takes a bottle of water from our hottub monthly to the hottub store and they do a efficient test, for metals,bacteria etc.for us and if there is a problem they tell us what to do about it. You should also drain and clean your hottub every 5-6 weeks if you use it daily.
    Hope this helps
    Sandy
    [This Message was Edited on 03/03/2006]
  10. mariee

mariee Member

Any way to test them or clean them yourself. My hubby loves them as a special treat. I tend to stay out of them...
    Thanks for tips.
    Mariee
  11. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

Reguarding your sperm story or shall we say incident ????

LOL...LOL...LOL...LOL...!!!!!! Oh I am laughing my ass off right now!

Priceless.

12. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

The rec center where we used to live was largely used by pretty elderly people. They had to keep the chlorine high in the pool due to urine leaks. Some pools in the UK use a special chemical so when pee leaks the water turns purple.

One day I was about to climb into the hot tub at the rec center, when there it was, excrement, floating about in the bubbles.

Never went near a hot tub again. Plus all those diapered babies in the pools too, they have had a lot of problems with bacteria.

Yuk... AC
  13. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

I also have a hot tub but i check it daily and we empty every 4 wks also when we start in up in the spring i get a kit that you run threw to clean all the working pipes. I"ve had mine for 5yrs and love it its on our deck and its so peaceful we also have a above ground pool but i can only get in it when its really warm outside. Sixtyslady