Hot tubs and Jacuzzis..better or worse?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ForeverFlaring, Apr 21, 2003.

1. ForeverFlaring

ForeverFlaring New Member

This may sound odd but has anyone had experiences where a hot tub has actually made you feel worse than you felt going in?

There have been many times I have gone over to a friend of mines house. She can see I am in obvious pain, and throws a towel to me and tells me to go take a long bath in her jacuzzi.

When I get in, it feels really nice and I can feel some muscles relaxing and unwinding, but after about 10 minutes I absolutely HAVE to get out. It gets hard to breathe, and everything that felt good in the beginning gets worse. I have experimented with and without jets on and that does not seem to make a difference. I get out of the tub all shaky and even though I dry off I am in a cold sweat and am exhausted after.

This has ruined romantic nights in a motel with a jacuzzi as well. I think it might be the heat but when I am in my own tub in hot water I am fine. The only thing I can figure out is in my own tub the water only goes waist high on me whereas in a jacuzzi it is uo to my neck.

I know I cant be the only one, so I thought I would ask for feedback. It is disappointing though as you feel like sitting in one and relaxing will help, but it only makes it worse for me.
  2. ForeverFlaring

Thanks!! I just did a search on this, and found it interesting to see it can affect you after sitting in a bathtub. It is definately something I want to look into if I ever find a doc that will listen. Too bad you aren't in PA Madwolf, I would go to see you in a heartbeat!
  3. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

Hot tubs for me are PURE BLISS. It is about an hour before you can drag me outta there. The jets really relax my muscles. One note, though, the ones I have been in are a little cooler than usual, private bathtub jaccuzis and such set at 100 degrees or so, not too hot.
    Tibbie
  4. Solstice

Solstice New Member

What does one do if you have NMH?

I have the same reactions to hot tubs, but I always thought maybe it was due to the chemicals........to which I seem very sensitive.

Is cortisol checked with a blood test?

Thanks!!! Wish you were a doctor in my area too!

Solstice
  5. ForeverFlaring

I read that post a few days ago. I constantly run a temp of 99.7 to 101 almost on a daily basis. I remember skimming over it an thinking it didn't apply to me, but I will look again. Thanks for the heads up!

Sandy (FF)
  6. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

That's strange. I have been taking only baths, rarely showers, for years. In the past few months, I cannot have it as hot as I used to. I thought that it would help my muscles if it's really hot. After all, heating pads seem to help sometimes. So, I will check about the Sceroderma and NMH. Mabye that's why. I thought that mabye it was just another problem caused by the fibro. But, you're not alone!!

Love,
    Kathryn
  7. mastersinger

mastersinger New Member

Interested in Sorbitol? Last time i visited the dentist, he noticed I had little saliva. i bought this stuff he told me to-that would increase saliva-mouthwash, gum-after looking at the ingred. I saw it had lots of sorbitol. Do we need it-can it hurt us? Also, i am taking singular, within the last month and also quai. I am dreaming lots-not always good dreams. I feel I am in a dream state all night-good or bad? Quai is like 200. also, what cah cause flashing green lights periphelly at night,esp if I look at a clock with a red light. Could I have too much tylenol, or meds too close together. I will see my Ophtomoligist next week. I am on lithium,tegrotol,xanax,verapimil,main drugs. Thanks for any input!!! Becky
  8. Lau

Lau New Member

Ouch!
    My neighbors, who are also very close friends had a hot tub put in last year. I was sooo looking foward to getting in and imagined it would be soothing and relaxing but the opposite turned out to be true. Now I dread getting that phone call - "Come on over for a beer, we'll sit in the tub". It feel OK initially, but after a few minutes, I feel like I'm being beat up, also all my joints start to hurt terribly and feel swollen and I have to get out. It's such a bummer-one other thing I can't do. I feel like the biggest party pooper sometimes.

Also, that night and next day I'm left feeling bruised all over and weaker than usual.