Hours of sleep per night???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by blondie45, Jul 19, 2006.

1. blondie45

blondie45 New Member

Just wondering how many hours of sleep on average you sleep per night and do you feel better with more sleep or less sleep? I sleep different hours all the time. Sometimes I just cannot stay awake any longer and have to head for bed. I have found though that I feel better and am less stiff in the morning if I have about only 6 or 7 hours of sleep versus feeling terrible with 8 or more usually.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/20/2006]
  2. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

Like you, I can feel horrible with too much sleep and horrible with too little.
    It is so confusing.

I don't know why this is.
    Sleeping doesn't seem to effect the pain and weakness unless it is like only 1 or 2 hours and you are wiped out.
    I have gone 3 and almost 4 days "straight" without sleeping a few times since I got this 7 months ago.

My new therapist says she doesn't believe me. Say I wpould have been psychotic, hallucinating.

I told her " I WAS!" I was crying, feeling like I was going out of my mind! I ruched to our local mental health wing of our local hosptial and a psychiatrist gave me a bunch of sleeping pills. I took these and maybe a few sedatives like Lorazepam and I started to get sleep in two hour chunks. I am a 50+ year old guy.

One thing I have learned from all my suffering. That is this. There are so many people in this country that are hurting. Only if you can feel their actual pain could you EVER have a clue as to what they are going through.

If anyone ever comes right out and tells you they are in pain...AUTOMATICALLY know and believe that they are much more pain than you can imagine. Most of the time we say we are okay just to not be depressing to be around. But if someone crosses this prpriety line and feels they must tell you the truth? That person is probably in indescribable pain.
  3. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

I am getting really frustrated about this. Everything I read says the sleep disorder needs to be treated, aggressively if need be, in order for other things to resolve.

Well, its been a year that I've been getting only 2 - 4 hours per night, some nights none at all.

My doctors just wont prescribe me anything strong enough - it seems here in NZ the Drs are loathe to prescribe drugs, even pain killers, its been a nightmare.

Even if I get 4 hours instead of 2 I always feel better the following day.

I think sleep is the most important thing to fix.

I'd love to hear any sleep remedies from people. I'm currently trying Kava and 5HTP, but so far no luck.

Take care
    Michelle
  4. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

Try melatonin but I think you should get a doctor that will understand how impotant sleep is too your illness.I take trazadone Ruthie
  5. AbbeyMae

AbbeyMae New Member

Blondie45-----

I am also going through a difficult period, where I am hardly sleeping. And now I am getting a cold.

I have weaned slightly on all my pharmaceutical. But I can Take my Dr.'s recommended dose and even more, and I still am having a terrible time.

I have premenapause frustrating my body and mind. So I have another disorder contributing to my lack of sleep issues.

I also take benadryl(also habit-forming/dependency), every night. I also take a Valerian mix supplement. And I alternate that with passion flower, plus my Rx.'s(Flexeril 10mg. tabs, taking One and 3/4 and Klonopin 1 mg. tabs, taking 3/4 to One).

I too is open to any suggestions.
    Love and hugs.

AbbeyMae
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I've gone through "instant" menopause due to chemotherapy for my leukemia...the hot flashes wake me constantly in the night (daytime is no picnic either).

I'm hoping that once the chemo is through, I can do a low dose HRT to help me. I would want to do as low a dose as is effective, but with all the chemo I've gotten, using HRT seems the lesser of the evils if it helps my quality of life---and my sleep! I do worry about not being able to repair my battered body by not getting enough restorative sleep. I tried Ambien years ago & hated how it made me feel, so I'm not really a sleeping pill fan. Plus I feel I need to fix the root of the problem...

BTW, I get about 5-6 hours a night....IF I'm lucky!!

Hugs,
    Pam
  7. Dainty45

Dainty45 New Member

I get 7-8 hours a night, I have been on Amitryptline 25mg for 15 years, it is an antidepressant. It helps you sleep and reduces some pain, but not all. I do wake up stiff, the longer I sleep, that is from not moving all night. So, you may want to run this by your doctor. I also started with anxiety and depression 15 years ago. Now I have a good case of Fibro.

Take Care!!! SB
  8. blondie45

blondie45 New Member

Yes I have also taken amitriptyline for about 15 years starting it to help with interstitial cystitis. I know I would probably not get any sleep without it and valerian root that I take at night. It just sucks that we need more sleep than normal but the longer I stay in bed the worse I seem to feel the next day because of not moving for so long.
  9. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

I think that the key issue is not necessarily how many hours we sleep, it’s how much restorative sleep we get. I know that is true for me personally. Here is a quote from a book I read recently.

From “The Fibromyalgia Advocate” by Devin J. Starlanyl MD:
    “Lack of restorative sleep is a major perpetuating factor that must be addressed as soon as possible, because the lack itself brings more muscular aches and even more symptoms to compound our miseries. Too many of us spend too many waking hours in the horizontal state, because of fatigue and inadequate pain control.”

I have tried many medicines and several other things like taking melatonin. It took two years of being on and off of the medicine Ambien before I could convince my doctor that it is the only thing that truly works for me. Doctors do not like to prescibe it long term. However, every individual situation is different, so only you can be the judge of what works for you!

Hope this is helpful,
    Kat
  10. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I have tried everything...I can sleep 3 hours, 8 hours or 12+ hours and still wake up feeling unrefreshed. No matter what, I always awake feeling as if I hadn't slept at all. It's frustrating, but I guess it's par for the CFIDS course.

Gentle hugs,
    Kim
  11. diva42597

diva42597 New Member

I used to have such a difficult time sleeping. I found I have to go to bed and get up at the same time every day. When I varied my sleep patterns, I had trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep. I sleep about 7 1/2 hours every night and take a long time in the morning to wake up before I have to get out of the house. I have found that this improves my sleeping dramatically.
  12. TAM

TAM New Member

HI,

I average about 3 hours of sleep a night, I would love to be able to sleep more then that. However the pain makes it impossible to fall asleep for long at all it wakes me constantly. I have tried many different sleeping pills and i have had no luck at all.

I would feel better with more sleep i'm sure but i don't know, i can't answer that part of the question, hee-hee!

Take care. Tammy
  13. tata1580

tata1580 New Member

yeah...right..if I sleep 3-4 hours straight anytime that is a very big deal for me..I am running on empty now and my feet and legs are so swollen face to...need to sleep...can not!!