House cleaning question

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beadlady, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

How often do you clean behind your refrigerature?

I'm sure my refrigerature really needs it,--you can feel the heat pouring out along the wall,

but of course it is tooo heavy for me to try and move and even my husband couldn't get it pulled out. Right above it is a stupid cupboard--why on earth they always put those cupboards there is beyond me.

Another GRRRRR
  2. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Honestly, I've never pulled my refrigerator out. It is sort of built in to the wall--has cabinets over the top, a pantry down one side, and shelves on the other. It's covered with wood, so it sort of looks like it's part of the pantry wall. I would be afraid of breaking and scratching the floor tiles, if I dragged it out, and since it's covered on three sides, I don't think too much dust or debris can get in. and as you said, it's so insanely heavy, I just couldn't manuever it.

However, if you look under the frig, there is a pan that slips in and out by the vents (this frig has the freezer on the bottom). I pull this tray out occasionally (about once a season) and run the hose extension of the vacuum under there. That's about as thorough as it gets!!

The one thing I do check frequently is the rubber gaskets on the refrigerator doors. If the suction doesn't seem to be adequate, a very thin coating of Vaseline (almost wiped off with a paper towel) immediately restores the suction, and the frig retains it's cool temperature without working overtime.

3. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I have a duster-thingie w/a long handle. I can't get it behind the fridge, but I get a lotta dust bunnies from underneath with it.

Luckily, I live in a hi-rise apt, & if the fridge has to be pulled out, I just call the maintenance guys. I know that's not at all helpful, tho. :)
  4. well ours doesn't get moved out and cleaned often and yes it REALLY needs it. Ours is on these sliding things that it moves a bit easier, still hard if your older and weaker.