House M.D, back for second season-write to them??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lurkernomore, Sep 11, 2005.

1. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I know this show has been a very contraversial subject and I saw that many were offended, (I know I was) by the *good doctors* attitude towards the FM/CFIDS dx. Why? Because I have had it up to here with people already questioning my intergity as well as my sanity and this episode did nothing but reinfoece that issue!

So I have read that House has been picked up again, for yet another season. Yeah..not! I boycotted it last year and plan to do the same this season. Now I am just wondering if perhaps enough of us fellow suffers got together and did a letter writing campaign, it may make a difference.

I would dearly love to see, although I doubt it would happen, a patient come into the hospital on the show with mutiple sign and symptoms, have the *brilliant doctor* totally stumped, to find out that the patient had...FM and/or CFIS!!! So what do you all think? Anyone up to a letter writing campaign? I truly feel that we, as a group, are owed a huge apology and this would be the perfect way to do so, as well as undo the damage done by having viewers think that this DD really is an AIYH situation. Oh well, just a thought.Anone on board with this idea?
  2. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

first season on DVD so I can see it for myself. Sorry guys, but I'm in love with Hugh Laurie and I absolutely love this show. I've heard different people talk about the episode - some people say it was putting people with the disease down and some people think that the person in the ER was actually a hypochondriac. I can't wait to see this for myself.

A little background - House himself was misdiagnosed and that's why he walks with the limp and cane. Ah, so quick to judge that this character is a drug addict. He takes vicodin for excruitiating pain like many of us do every day. He had a portion of his muscle removed. You really can't judge a character or a show from one episode. I personally think this show is brilliant.
  3. achy

achy New Member

You can look at it two ways...

"They" were portraying a realistic event....The Arrogant Doc making a Fm patient feel neurotic. Its a scene played out everyday in doc office everywhere.

Once again, "they" were telling pppl that FM is not a realistic illness.

I choose #1....if they mention FM on television it's publicity. HE was playing his character as his caracter would have reacted, that's all.

But your entitled to your opinions and I understand your view too. I really like the show..it's different.

achy
  4. sandi24

sandi24 New Member

And I love him !! .. oh how I wish I had a passionate doctor that took time to find a real diagnosis for me :)

I love his style, he is after a cure not bedside manner.. I have met MANY doctors without bedside manners and not a care in the slightest about the real ME, this character cares passionately to find the cause and solve an issue.. I wish our doctors had half his drive.

I agree the way they handled the FMS issue was how almost all doctors do.. yet we berate him. Lets hope with all the ado over this matter the script writers will probe further for maybe a whole storyline on FMS.. but I am not holding my breath, I will just sit back and enjoy the show!

5. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Now I recall why I stayed in lurk mode for so long. I first came to this board after hearing so many people upset by the way people with FM were portrayed on this show. I was amazed at how many others had seen it and were upset as well.

It seems the tide has changed and that is fine too. I was just thinking that if we want the way others see us to be changed, being proactive about it, writing and letting producers and writers know that we want to see change could not hurt. Now if that is, as I was told, wasting energy, then so be it. I am really sorry I started this thread now. Back to lurking, if reading here at all. Sorry if I have offended anyone.
    Edited to add;
    I just feel a little confused because, although I am known to forget a lot of things, I do recall that I was not the only one feeling upset and poorly represented by this particular episode. Now I just feel sad. I have stopped attempting to post on the only other forum I visited because my writing, my grammar and punctuation were attacked, so I felt safe at least posting here. I should have remained a lurker and I see this clearly now.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/12/2005]
  6. moonlightkitty

moonlightkitty New Member

Your post was valuable and I don't think the tide has turned, there's a lot of responses for both sides of the argumenton the other thread. This one just seemed to inspire the supporters to post.

I think it's great all the people that want to write letters. My venting was just on here to say I didn't like the writing when it came to the Dr's clumsy psychological observations about people, and that despite these simplifications, he turned out to be right. If he was wrong, then it would be a character study. Since he's not, then he's portrayed as wise or astute despite his faults.

If someone can tell me in the particular episode if they used any narrative device, like another character's comments to question his attitude or contrast with it (which they do in other storylines on the show)...then I'd accept the show was trying to just show us how things are.

It's just the 'not while searching on the internet' remark that is the worst to me. Seems intended to provoke an audience reaction of 'oh, good point'. He's snide, rude etc so people might not like him, but he's also meant to be extremely clever so without any guidance from within the episode, it adds to the public misperception.

I wouldn't want to write to the station and ask them to change their concept and for the Dr to act out of character. I would just ask that they are careful to treat this like other illnesses, and that if it is to portray the unfairness of how we're treated to make sure that's clear. And that if it is coming from the writers' own prejudices and ignorance about this illness, that they have to get informed. Seeing as they, or the show consultants, would have a medical background, it seemed likely to me that they were just coming at this the way most uninformed doctors do - but unfortunately in public.
  7. orachel

orachel New Member

It was in heinously poor taste. I was totally offended. I hate that a tiny press blurb like that can influence thousands of people about what we suffer with. But i can also see how he is UTTERLY rude and insensitive to those who come to him for any reason, but never ever stops working to find out what's wrong with them. I, too, would love if Dr. House would make a house call, even though he is an opinionated pompous a**.

I think its great we all voiced our grievance to the network, but the show really is excellent. If anything, I think the fact that the "patients" have really obscure symptoms makes me feel like I'm not the only weirdo out there with pains that come from nowhere, and symptoms noone understands. And, quite frankly, I've been to real life docs who were much more insensitive about FM, and that...to me...is the real tragedy.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion, clearly. Again, though, this guy is an A** to EVERYONE with EVERY disease. I'm sure each week the network has a whole screaming demographic up in arms about "house's" insensitivity. I just don't want you to waste too much of your (precious) energy on a battle that maaaany have made before you.

Good luck!
    Rachel
  8. orachel

orachel New Member

Just read your second post. My goodness, noone here meant to offend you in any way. I think we all agree that it would be terrific if all of our outrage prompted a storyline about FM, or even an apology.

I can't imagine that there's someone out there who feels judged HERE, of all places! Here is where you should be able to come to voice your opinions on anything, or gripe about how your feeling, or rave about what's making you feel better, or even just sit back and read if you're not up to posting that day.

But please, please don't feel judged. God knows we all go through entirely too much of that in the real world, and unfortunately some of us even have to deal with it from our friends, family, and (gulp!) doctors. I don't think anyone is saying even that they don't agree with every thing you wrote (except maybe for the boycott....that show is one of the only things my husband and I both love, and we love it because A)its funny as heck B) it pokes fun at areas that don't usually get poked fun at, and quite frankly, I need that...to feel like my diagnosis isn't a sentence, and can actually be funny (not that I think the way FM was handled was ok...I don't)and C) because this doctor is soooo flawed and brilliant that it does give me some hope that out there is a doc just like this who's going to get ticked off at his/her inability to figure out what the heck is wrong with us and be tenacious enough to stick with it until they figure out what cures us!!!!

But please, don't just be a lurker. Everyone here wants to know YOUR opinion. That doesn't necessarily mean everyone will always agree with you, but that's the fun of having PEERS who have the same kind of experiences you do, but who look at it in a different way! ;)
    Rachel
  9. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

I missed the episode. My ex-MIL told me that House was such a jerk because this was the husband of his ex-fiance who had his leg cut off.

Is that the story line here?
  10. moonlightkitty

moonlightkitty New Member

lurkernomore, I agree with Rachel. I hope you will feel comfortable and happy to post here, it really is a very supportive and warm place.

I don't think anyone meant anything against you personally, there are just some very passionate & opinionated people here (myself included)! That is a very good thing, I think, that we still can take such an avid interest in aspects of life despite our suffering.

Please stick around, and remember it's probably the illness that's making you feel tentative - I go through that too.