"House MD" - new TV show - negative comments on FMS & CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Nov 17, 2004.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

Did anyone see the new TV show last night on Fox network called "House, M.D."?

It showed this doctor (portrayed to be a jerk) treating a patient in a clinic that thought he had CFS and/or fibro.

When the guy asked the dr. if there was anything to treat it with, he said yes and went to the desk and asked for a script. He pocketed the pills and filled up the bottle with candy from a vending machine and sent it back to the guy.

He was basically laughing off the complaints of the patient. Of course, it made it look like CFS and fibro were a joke.

I hope the network gets a lot of negative comments about that segment of the show ... even though it was only on for a few minutes.
  2. violarose1

violarose1 New Member

that just makes me sick to read.
  3. hartogold

hartogold New Member

I'm sorry, I didn't see your post earlier because I just posted a similar message. I thought this scene was an insult and I think FOX needs some emails and links to FMS sites so they can be educated about it.

Thanks for your post!
    Sandy
  4. MINERBYRD95503

MINERBYRD95503 New Member

Oh my gosh. I'm going onto the Fox website & comment. Thanks for the info! Shame on them.
  5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Here is what I sent to our local Fox affiliate:

"I wanted to let you know that I am very dismayed at the treatment Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue sufferers received on your new show. The patient who was presented as having one or both of these diseases was given candy in a prescription bottle implying that these two diseases are a joke!

I suffer from Fibromyalgia. I am one of the lucky ones who is still able to function almost normally. I work and take care of my home and family. But often at the end of a stressful week I can barely move on Saturday due to extreme pain all over my body. So many Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue patients cannot work, cannot participate in the normal functions of life, are often homebound and in constant, debilitating pain.

To have this condition treated as a joke is an insult to all of us who suffer from this terrible diagnoses.

At the very least a public apology should be offered and a disclaimer attached to the opening of this show letting people know that this diagnoses was horribly misrepresented in a previous episode. That this is a very real and often debilitating disease is no longer questioned by up-to-date medical professionals. My own doctor recognized it for what it was before I even knew what to call it.

Please ask the creators of this show, and any medical show, to investigate their information before airing this type of propaganda."

Don't know if it will do any good, but it's worth a try!

Hugzz!
  6. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I also wrote to the FCC. These TV shows are overstepping when they write like this.

abbylee
  7. Bet2

Bet2 New Member

I also sent them an email chastising them for such an insensitive program.

I hope if we all jump on the band wagon it will get through to someone. You just have to go on the fox website and send them an email.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

bet2
  8. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

Yes, I went to the House website and told em what for too. ehehe, they'll think again about making light of a very misunderstood disease.
  9. hartogold

hartogold New Member

I wrote Fox as well. Plus I've been on the message board for the show off and on today. I'm proud to say that so have many of us suffers. Keep up the great work! Let's get 'em and educate this ignorant people.
    Sandy
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

We all need to send the Fox network an email about this show and how CFS and FMS were portrayed!

Greenbean - what excellent comments made on what you sent!
  11. LITEFLAMES

LITEFLAMES New Member

Oh That relly makes Me MAD
    cindy
  12. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Hi:

I did not see the show, but I did read the posts here. I went to the fox website and the show site, and there were so many comments from people who had FMS/CFS that I was amazed. Some of the responses from other posters on that site was amazing as well. These illnesses really have negative connotations and shows like House will only make worse. Gee, ABC can apologize for a naked white woman jumping into the arms of a black man (of course this is not why they apologized) at 7pm (PST). Maybe FOX will make some kind of announcement...I will not be holding my breath.

I think that it is wonderful that we are not simply accepting the terrible portrayal of our illnesses.

Good luck.

I will also be sending FOX an e-mail about this issue.

Ingrid
  13. FriendonthePath

FriendonthePath New Member

What is wrong with people that they would make fun of an illness?????--to entertain others!!!

What is society coming to?

Going to the Fox web site right now.

Thanks for the info.
  14. FriendonthePath

FriendonthePath New Member

to send a nasty email, just go to the fox website, click on "ask fox" (a tab at the top of the page), and at the bottom paragraph click the link that says "feedback".

We need to be heard.
  15. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I got an email back today saying that my comments and concerns were being forwarded to the corporate headquarters and thanking me for bringing this to their attention.

Hugzz!
  16. toadgoddess

toadgoddess New Member

I'm not personally very fond of Fox, anyway and this of course gives me another reason to find them distasteful and insulting. I will go to their website right now to write something.

blessings,
    toadgoddess
  17. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

While writing to Fox is a good start (though Fox is owned by Rupert Murdoch - who apparently enjoys controversy), I think one of the more effective means of lodging a protest against a particular TV show is to write to the show's sponsors, stating you will NOT buy their products again due to their willingness to underwrite a show which mocks a serious affliction which you happen to have.

While I didn't see "House" and, (after reading this thread) probably never will watch it, hopefully someone might still have this episode on tape or TiVo, so CFS/FMS patients can write blistering letters to those who pay to bring this 'bad attitude' into our homes.

Janice
  18. adream

adream New Member

What's the deal with this crap?

Oprah had a show this week about depression and Bi-polar disorder. This used to be the disease to joke about.

We have to turn this around. Fibro needs it's turn in the spotlight!!

I am going to send more emails and give them a piece of my fibro fogged mind!!
  19. adream

adream New Member

If that's possible.....then I want to sign up!!!!!

If this propaganda continues...it may set the disability insurance and the social security systems back and negatively influence the way they deal with us.....it's so hateful and wrong!

They are influencing how society should treat us!
  20. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

so I watched it to see what the fuss was all about.
    I found the whole thing insulting to doctors, patients, and anybody else. Let's hope doctors don't act like that.