Housecleaning

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Frustratedandtired, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Frustratedandtired

Frustratedandtired New Member

Hello everybody. I got off this board for a while as my energy levels just didn't allow it. Now I'm back and still low on energy and my problem is this. I feel like my house is always nasty. I try to keep it clean and I get help from family members when I can. The laundry and dishes are always caught up. But I feel like in general my floors are dirty and there are some projects that got half finished and for years have been left that way. I just wonder will any of it get done because I NEVER have the energy to do it. Sometimes I dream of getting rid of my house and living in a one room cabin. It's just so overwhelming sometimes.
  2. wildwoodlane

wildwoodlane Member

Hi, there. I feel exactly the same way. Have not vacuumed the floors since long before Christmas. Dusting? Ha! Don't know how old you are but I am 70+ and used to be a superwoman when it came to keeping my house in order and clean. Last three days I have had chest and rib pain that is really laying me low, plus a huge flare of fatigue. I struggle with laundry and the kitchen (and I now live alone -- my hubby died nearly two years ago). Believe me, you have lots of company. My old theory is this: "Try to do what is bugging you the worst." If it is clutter, go around with a trash bag and collect it. If it is an unmade bed, make it and let something else go. Guess my weakness is job-hopping, where one thing leads to another and I am walking all over the house doing a little of this and a little of that.

Hugs to you from
    wildwoodlane
  3. Frustratedandtired

Frustratedandtired New Member

Well I'm 41 years old but I feel like I'm 70 sometimes! I am a job hopper also. And lately I have been doing what you said, going around with a bag throwing things away. And I did manage to vaccum my bedroom a few days ago. My mother-in-law's house is spotless and she whines all the time about how dirty it is. I can only imagine what she thinks of my house!
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Nobody told me I was supposed to clean that darn thing!

Actually it just isn't easy to keep up with things at home. I work full time and take care of my DH and two dogs. Praise God my children are grown.

I only vacuum about once a month, if that. Our carpet doesn't show the dirt so I only vacuum when I notice my DH's socks have more hair on them than the dogs.

He has replaced the carpet in the kitchen, dining room, laundry room, and both baths with laminate flooring. I swiffer it every couple of days while dinner is cooking. Sometimes I just pick up the biggest wads of dog hair and ignore the rest, it will end up along the edges eventually and I'll pick it up!

I do laundry ever other day even though there are just the two of us. I find more frequent smaller loads are easier to handle. I have a huge front loading washer and larger loads are supposed to be more efficient but facing that dryer absolutly full of clothes is too much for me. Little loads work better.

I plan easy meals. DH is happy with broiled meat and some veggies and I usually cut up an apple that we share(we low carb and it is easier than making all the side dishes).

Last night we had little smokies and sauerkraut. Just put the smokies in a pan, dumped in some sauerkraut, put the lid on and sat down for twenty minutes. We had green onions, radishes, and a sliced banana and apple with it.

Trying to simplify is the best for me. It also helped so very much when my older daughter came and helped me get organized. She is a wonder at that. Now if I stick to her plan, life is much easier and I have a little more energy at the end of the day.

So even though I work all day, fix dinner, feed and walk the dogs, do laundry, and wash dishes every night, I still find a little quiet time to read my Bible or a novel and sometimes even have enough energy to pick up my carving knives and destroy some wood! (Although last night I was in bed by 7:45!)

It's never easy, but I'm sure you will get some good tips from all our fibro family.

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Don't forget to stop and smell the puppies!
  5. beaniej

beaniej New Member

Can you afford a cleaning lady once a month? For about $40 to $60 per month, it would make you feel a lot better emotionally. I clean houses on a part-time basis. I used to be a full-time legal assistant but the stress was killing my body. Occasionally, I have to cancel a cleaning because I feel like crap. Personally, I would LOVE to have someone clean my house once a month but our bills are too voluminous to fit that luxury in. Jane
  6. rbecca47

rbecca47 New Member

Hi, I know what you mean about housecleaning,My laundry is backed up, the dishes my little girl does. the rest is let go or we work together to get it clean. I used to have a extremely clean house, floors moped daily, vacuum daily, dusting, and laundry kept up. And worked full time. Now i am in a major flare have been for months. I don't want to live like this, get what help i can from grown kids. but it just isn't my clean. and i do laundry in a way that the kids won't touch it. I know that they mean well so i don't say anything to them. but i feel my house is turning into a garbage dump. I have to face facts that what used to take 20mins. now takes all day. my energy level is so low. All i can say is hang in there do what you can. and try as hard as it may be, look the other way. hugsbecca
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

I think housework makes you ugly!
  8. darude

darude New Member

Nobody is gonna rmember IF you had a clean house or not. THEY will remember that you were sick tho.
  9. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

I know exactly how you feel about the no-energy and dirty house....Yes can be very overwhelming!! I use to be the one who wants everything spotless...and I still want it...but it dosen't always go that way...

I just posted about a week ago how depressed and down I was (still am, but little better) some of it to do with how dirty I felt my house is....

My friend will come over and say what you talking about your house isen't dirty..hubby will say stop worring it's not that bad etc... But I know it's dirty...especially when it comes to dusting and my junk mail has really piled up....I hate clutter and I have a couple rooms, I hate to even look at at the moment...it literally makes me sick to the point I get so frustrated, I have to lay down.

Like you the dishes are always caught up...I get a little behind on my laudry at times....but I see the dust and clutter if no one else does...it drives me insane...lol

But, I got some really good advise on my post....We all have to learn to not be so hard on ourselves...we are sick...I know for me I have to learn to just do it a little at a time....and try to come up with things to make cleaning eaiser.

Sorry didn't mean to go on and on...I just feel your overwhelming frustration with this....check out/punch in "Flylady" in your search engine...someone else told me about this on my post...some really good info and advise there on house cleaning...ways to help!! I think I have that right...flylady(fog today)

If it gets any worse, I may just check into having someone come in and clean once a month if it's just my 3 most seen and used rooms (LR, Kit, Bath)....Think I will look into it, see if it would be afforable to me...maybe somthing for you to check out as well!!

Sorry hun your feeling this way too...again sorry so long here....Hope your energy improves soon...Best Wishes!!

(((Hugs)))
    ~Bluerose~