Housework exhausting?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shaz73, Mar 26, 2011.

1. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

I'm sure that I am not alone with finding housework exhausting when you have CFS. I try to clean the house once a week, and if we have people over I end up doing it all in a day, and then wonder why I have to crash out! It does make me feel rather pathetic though, especially if I have just been dusting in one room for about 30 minutes. I then have to sit/lie down and rest for the same period of time.

The worse two housework things are changing the double bed of all its bedding (easier when hubby helps out - and he is good at helping out) and hoovering. Lugging the heavy hoover around is exhausting.

Only wish we could afford a cleaner...and that once you have cleaned stuff it never got dirty EVER again! ; ) Oh well, better rest before I get the "monster" hoover out sometime today.

2. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Shaz, I relate completely to the difficulty of keeping up with the housework.

I try to do a bit of work each day. I work for five or ten minutes at a time, then I rest for half an hour (or longer, if I'm having a bad day), then I work for five or ten minutes again. It's amazing how much I can accomplish when I pace myself this way.

I use a small, light-weight vacuum that's very easy for me to lift and maneuver. It was inexpensive and although, it doesn't do as good a job as the heavy-duty cleaners do, it cleans well enough. Perhaps you could get such a vacuum for daily/weekly use and then let your husband use the 'monster Hoover' every couple of weeks for a more thorough cleaning.

Don't allow your need to rest make you feel 'pathetic'. It's the nature of our illness to feel extremely exhausted after an expenditure of energy. It can be difficult to accept this, but once we do, we're free to devote ourselves to finding new and different ways to do things, so that everyday things like housework become less of a challenge.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  3. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

I know just how you feel! I can hardly keep up,well I can't honestly. Doing anything with my hands over my head like dusting up high, and changing sheets kills me ;(.

And since I don't work anymore, can't afford a cleaning lady, I would be mortified if anyone walked in my house right now.

I try to pace,otherwise I wouldn't be able to do anything,sad thing is by the time I get up energy to start again,what I did do is dirty again. It sux!

4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I do like AnneTheresa and do five minutes here, five minutes there. Over time it adds up. You would be amazed at how much you can get done in a five minute period. When I'm going through "good" times energy wise, then I'll get out the vacuum and wash the floors. Personally I find it easier to do a bit each day than trying to do everything in one day.

I try to keep things as tidy as I can because it is depressing walking into an untidy and/or dirty room.

Shaz, is there any reason why your husband couldn't do the vacuuming?
  5. debbydo

debbydo New Member

boy, can i relate. i used to enjoy cleaning-now i sit in the chair thinking maybe tomorrow will be the day i'll feel like i can finally get at something! i have 2 big old english sheepdogs so you can imagine the hair. oh wel, home and garden magazine isn't coming today to take pictures so i'm safe. so glad to hear i'm not alone.
  6. kezzluvscats

kezzluvscats New Member

I am lucky my hubby does the big jobs and more when i am tired. He is a manager of a industrial cleaning company and he gets tired as he has alot of employers and work can take him other towns. I am so lucky. If am tired or in alot pain i really don't care- when i feel better i may takle it up as it annoys me. house. i don't seem to get organised like i use to. my craft room says it all.
  7. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

its so good to know that I am not alone in this.

Tigerlilea - my husband does hoover sometimes, but he is working 40 hours in a carehome so needs his rest too. I am currently unemployed so I have more time on my hands, but not more energy!!

BDTMUSI6 - I can completely relate to the "looking normal" thing. My parents know about my condition and recent diagnosis of CFS, but I have not told my in-laws as they really wouldnt "get it" or be understanding. They are not very good at sympathising, although they are very generous in other ways. Its just easier not to get into it all with them...

I do try to do housework in stages, and rest regularly.