Houston FFC Clinic

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TXFMmom, Dec 15, 2005.

1. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I last saw my physician there in mid November for a followup.

Have had continued difficulty with tendonitis and needed some clarification for insurance forms. DOCTOR HAS LEFT.

NOT A WORD FROM THEM ABOUT IT THEN, NO WARNING, NOTHING.

THIS IS ABANDONMENT, FOLKS.

I had to sever my relationship with my old rheumatologist because HE OBJECTED TO THE FFC CLINIC. HE THOUGHT THEY WERE WAY OUT THERE, IN HIS OWN WORDS AND WOULDN'T TREAT ME IF I SAW THEM.

Then, THEY ABANDONED THEIR PATIENTS LIKE THIS, WITHOUT A WORD TO WARN ME SO I COULD GET ANOTHER DOCTOR.

They are interviewing for a replacement, which could take a couple of months. In the interim, another physician from their San Antonio office is coming FOR TWO DAYS A WEEK, AND I COULDN'T GET AN APPOINTMENT TILL MID JANUARY FOR A MEDICATION PROBLEM FROM SOMETHING THEY PRESCRIBED AND FOR A PROBLEM THEY WERE TREATING, WHICH IS URGENT.

I am FED UP WITH THESE PEOPLE.

I spoke with the TX Board of Physicians and they said that unless it was an unforseeable EMERGENCY, WHICH THIS WAS NOT, THAT PATIENTS SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED BEFORE SHE LEFT.

Then, the FFC told me they WERE TELLING PATIENTS WHEN THEY PHONED IN FOR APPOINTMENTS. THAT IS UNETHICAL, FOLKS. Patients phone in with immediate, urgent problems only to find out that they don't HAVE A DOCTOR ANYMORE.

I am AN ADVANCED NURSE PRACTITIONER AND A CERTIFIED REGISTERED NURSE ANESTHETIST WITH 25 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE, NOW DISABLED, AND THIS IS SIMPLY AWFUL. I RIPPED THEM A NEW ONE, IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

NURSES ARE NOT THE TYPE TO DO THIS TO.

Just a warning to all of you. I AM GOING TO FIND A NEW RHEUMATOLOGIST.

2. kylesmom

kylesmom New Member

I was planning to contact them in January and start testing. I may re-think that plan now. Sigh...

I hope you find a rheumatologist you like.
  3. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

That sure is a strange way of doing things. I am really sorry you had to go through that.

The doctor I met for my first appointment had a new doctor with her whom she was training. Then a few weeks later we received a letter in the mail welcoming the new doctor (who has been wonderful) and telling the previous doctor goodbye.

You may want to let the main headquarters of the FFC know how this was handled.

Sandy
  4. Dalphia

Dalphia New Member

Since you no longer have a doctor to take care of you at the FCC you were attending, perhaps you should contact he Home Office for their assistance. As their patient, they should be obligated to take on the responsibilty in providing you the services and/or medical treatment you deserve as their patient without having to wait until January...........

I'm sure if you explained to them what you need, they would be happy to assist you. My Goodness, this just doesn't sound like the folks at the Atlanta FCC.

But, in my thinking, Corporate should have immediately placed a replacement Physcian on site for that facility, after all, the patients should come first.

If you don't mind answering, how long had you been treated at the center and were you happy with the staff and treatments? Did you feel you were making progress?

Sorry you've had such a bad experience and I hope you find the proper care you need and regain your health.

God Bless you,
    Dalphia

5. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

They have a doctor from the San Antonio FCC office coming in.

As an RN, and an Advanced Nurse Practitoner, and a CRNA, I was uncomfortable with them selling the IV's and the supplements, from the beginning.

The care and the recommendations, with the exception of that, seemed very good.

However, this STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN. I TOLD THEM FLAT OUT THAT I WAS CALLING THE BOARD AND THEY WERE GOING TO BE VERY SORRY THAT THEY HAD SCREWED WITH AN RN, ETC. IN THIS WAY.

I received a call from their regional director in less than an hour, and I told her, more or less the same thing. She then said they could get me an appointment IMMEDIATELY, AND MY INSURANCE FORMS COMPLETED.

I told HER THAT ETHICS ARE EVERYTHING TO ME - AND THAT I MAY NOT FILE A FORMAL COMPLAINT WITH THE BOARD, BUT THAT THEY CAN JUST STUFF IT, MORE OR LESS.

We are sick, fragile patients and this kind of behavior is just not ethical. TELL ME THE MOMENT THE DOCTOR IS LEAVING, NOT WHEN I CALL IN BECAUSE I AM HAVING COMPLICATIONS FROM A PROBLEM AND A MEDICATION THEY ORDERED.

NO, SIREE.

I AM FLOORED.
  6. scotlandrose

scotlandrose Member

I had a HORRIBLE experience at the Atlanta FFC. You can find it under a post about Atlanta FFC. I contacted the FFC Headquarters and really got no where and nothing, not even a "sorry". I feel for you!!!! I am now seeing a great CFS/Fibro Doc that has ethics, info, and knows what's up. I still consult with Dr. Sharp at the FFC in Ft. Worth only because I like him...hate the clinics.

Good luck. Let us know if Headquarters is of any help in the long run.

Scotlandrose
  7. bioman85

bioman85 New Member

Hi Scotland,

Sorry to hear about your experience with the Houston clinic. I go the FFC in Philadelphia, and they are the best doctors and staff that I have ever had. Always returning calls and e-mail, nothing being pushed on me. It's unfortunate that your personal experience with the Houston one was not very good, but I assure you there are other FFCs in the country which are very outstanding.
  8. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

My experience with the FFC in Atlanta has been nothing but WONDERFUL!!!

They've been caring, they call me back as soon as I call, they answer calls on the weekend --- I just can't say enough about them.

It seems to me that you're talking about someplace else entirely.

Sandy
  9. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

My dentist left suddenly when her husband had to have emergency cancer surgery. They could not have given me notice as it happened the day before my appointment. Is it possible there is a resonable explanation.

As for your problems in Atlanta Scotland Rose to be honest they have been exceptional for me and your problemn happened a long time ago with different staff. I wish you would stop bashing them. Sorry but it's how I feel.

Is it possible the Dr in Houston gave no notice so they could not hire a replacementas they did in Atlanta. I have been in upper management and I know things happen sometimes. You knew they sold the supplements when you started there. Of course they charge for the IVs. I actually appreciate buying the supplements from them because I don't have time to search and hunt for what I need. They have always told me to get them for less if I can and have never pushed me to buy anything. It has always been my decision. I have always been treated as a partner in my treatment.

my opinion and experience. lynn
  10. oesmom

oesmom New Member

I received a letter in the mail yesterday stating that the Houston doc left for professional and personal reasons. I'm not sure exactly when she left, but she wasn't there when I was last there a month ago. I like the new guy, but some person that I've spoken to on the phone recently is less than pleasant...not the case with the front desk staff when Dr. Littles was there. I've decided not to go back. Between the two doctors and the nursing staff, I am getting too many different stories on my situation. Again, just my opinion..I'm glad that they have helped so many people, I'm not one of them.
  11. damz68

damz68 New Member

Did you say 30,000 people in San Antonio has fibromyalgia? If that is true the CDC should be there pronto. Maybe the answer to FM is in SA.
  12. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I`m sorry you had a bad experience. I can see why you are upset but that doens`t mean all the clinics are bad. I go to the Dallas FFC and I couldn`t be happier with them. My doctor is wonderful and so is the whole staff. This was one of the few times I was ever treated with compassion and understanding concerning my Fm and CFS. My doctor is extremely knowledgeable about these diseases and the treatment has been very helpful to me.

Its hard to find good doctors to treat us and I literally traveled across the country to this one and I`m glad I did.
  13. MrHappyGoLucky12

MrHappyGoLucky12 New Member

txfmmom,

You said that you were uncomfortable with the FFC selling IVs and supplements. Why's that? I have an uneasy feeling about that too, but can't pinpoint why.
  14. pawprints

pawprints New Member

Sorry about your rough experience in Atlanta. I am also a patient of Dr. Sharps. He seems like a gentle, kind physician. Can you please tell me more about what treatments you worked with him on that helped you?

Thanks.
    Shana
  15. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this.

I've dealt with this stuff(CF-active EBV) my whole life. I've found doctor are not interested in helping me.Yes they'll run some tests and say that's to bad ect..but no plan to regain my health is made.

I would like to know if folks that are handing the FFC centers $4000 to $5000 buck are still well 2 years from now. Because as I've said before I in the pass have gotten better with NO help from doctors, meds or herbs I just don't stay well for long. Just old EBV from 16 to 50. That's a long time to be "in my head and body".

It's all about money and lots of it-for the clinics from people that are very ill and searching for the problem so we can have a peek at being "normal". Which by the way I never have been.

No help with Guia from them...no money to be made. Guia treatment needs more support. Why do you think FFC is not interested in Guia it's helping people?

I'm in Idaho and I've heard lots of bad stuff from folks that went up to the Salt Lake FFC. The biggest complaint being the cost up front and to much of a run around in their treatment.(not understanding the treatment)

I hate getting ripped off. We all do I know.

Thanks to all for sharing the good, bad and ugly about FFC.

Prayers for a cure. EBV has been around a long, long time. It's time for a sure fired CURE.:)
    Dee50
    [This Message was Edited on 12/24/2005]
  16. elsa

elsa New Member

I always seem to open these posts with the disclaimer "I'm not a patient of the FFC" .....

There are bad administration decisions taking place in physician's offices everyday of the week, all across the country. Perhaps your post should have read Dr. So in So at the Houston clinic has left .... office manager did not follow through remotely in a professional manner.

The FFC,Inc is not your target but the Houston branch of the FFCs office manager could very well be ... might have suspect practices. Or just ignorant practices. They may very well have been left in the lurch and, without a good crisis management plan in place, just fell apart. With your medical background I'm certain you would agree that the FFC does not hold an exclusive corner on "stupid administration choices".

It is not abandonment if they are providing an "equally or higher trained" MD to take over your care. That the timing of the doctor's hours is not to your liking is unfortunate, but hardly a legal consideration. It appears more to me that you were fairly eager to "catch 'em" being frauds.

If you believe that legal abandonment has accured and that the FFC,Inc. is operatoring in an unethical manner then why don't you hire a lawyer and pursue the matter. With the credentials you highlighted for us I believe you have a head start.

I don't quite understanding why you sought treatment with them in the first place ....

I wish you well in your search of a new doctor and hope you are feeling better.

Elsa
    [This Message was Edited on 12/26/2005]
  17. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I have no problem with the Ivs at all. If your GP gavce you a B12 shot you would be charged. it is a treatment that is very optional. I is recommended but never pushed on you at all. As for the supplements They also are never pushed and they seem like a service more than a moneymaking scheme. They do not push them and they tell you where you can get them. You are free to look online or anywhere else. I appreciate the convienience.

Now for the costs. When I looked at the bill from my last Rheumy visit I was charged $110 for an office visit. He spent no more than 15 minute with me and did nothing at all to help me. I spent an hour and 20 minutes with Dr B and paid $325. After you pay the initial for the first 2 appts and buy the frst round of supplements The costs go way down.

The whole thing has been worth every penny and I have been retested once already and seen on paper my improvements. it sure beasts my Rheumys solution last Fb to find a support group.

Lynn
  18. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I couldn`t agree with you more. Any unconventinal doctor is usually thought of as a quack or crooked. This isn`t the case at these FFC. Yes, maybe the IV`s aren`t conventinal but they do work. The conventinal doctors aren`t helping us and don`t act like they care either.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/26/2005]
  19. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

I can tell you where I would be without the FFC.

I would gradually get worse and worse with lyme disease, would probably end up in a wheel chair and would be in so much pain I would need lots of pain killers.

As the years go by, my mind would begin to be lost and eventually I could die from this dreaded disease. They may call it MS or Lupus or ALS.

Some with undiagnosed lyme will end up in a psychiatric ward labeled with bi-polar or many of the other mental disorders that lyme can mimic.

The FFC is giving me my life back!

Sandy
  20. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Hi Ruthless,
    Just wanted to tell you that I transferred to the Seattle FFC in October from one out of state. I am extremely pleased with Dr. Marti. She is knowledgeable, caring, quick, thorough, and digs deep to find out what's causing the problems. She goes the extra mile for you, and then some.

I had been in treatment since March at a different FFC, not improved, gotten worse, and she re-tested me and uncovered Lyme Disease! She is easy to talk to and if you have problems or concerns, if you are reacting to medications, she is available to talk to.

The staff is caring. I have had some problems with office management, such as, even after repeated calls and assurances not getting follow-through on ordered supplements, or answers to questions on meds, and medications to be ordered languished. This went on for a month. I'm not sure why, but when I go for my next visit will discuss it. They have only been open since summer, and may need some better coordination with these matters.

Best wishes,
    Hopeful4