How about tape recording Dr. visits? Better treatment?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lenasvn, Dec 9, 2005.

1. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I wonder what the result would be with a current ignorant/ dismissive Dr if you told him/her you were going to taperecord the visit for reference (play dumb and say your fibrofog is so bad, you will forget what ya'll said,,,LOL!).

Just one of those small micro recorders. I bet my doc would have "had" to evaluate the symptoms I brought up on my last visit, since they CAN be a symtom of dangerous stuff.

Have anyone here tried it?
  2. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I really did record it because of the fibro fog! I'm glad I have a recording that I can go back and reference. The FFC visits have so much information, I can't keep up.

Haven't thought about doing it with my regular PCP or other doc. It's a thought...

Katy
  3. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

That's a great idea for many reasons, of course the obvious, brain fog! But also, I have so many different docs and can never remember who said what. Oh yeah, and to force them to pay attention to you! I think I'll start doing that. Can't believe I never thought of that.

thanks for the idea!
    shananegans
  4. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Thanks, it was just outta frustration. It would be a "legal document" in case you're farted around with by a doc. LOL!
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

because he was being evaluated by a doctor hired by his Disability Insurance company... of course this was an adversarial situation, so we notified them ahead of time that we were videotaping the exam; the doctor put us off, but did finally go ahead with the app't, and things worked out alright.

We did the same when a rep from the insurance comopany wanted to meet with him, as the first rep they'd sent completely misquoted my husband. We then ALSO insisted on the meeting being held in our lawyer's office - was a good thing, because they videotaped it too. Never had a problem with the insurance company since, either!

And I wish we had taped the initial interview when we took our son to the Lyme clinic, as the NP's notes were very inaccurate as to his history. Instead now we are left with the only option of filling out a history form to add to his file instead of having something we could've referred to to show the inconsistencies and actually have her notes corrected...

could be important later as he may have to file for SSI at some point, we still don't know, and these inaccuracies were the type to hurt his case (of course).

It is a good thing to do anyway, however, because you do have fibrofog; all too often I've had doctors tell me things I don't quite remember later.

I know several people who see Dr. Cheney, and they always record their appointments with him as he often spends over an hour with them discussing their case, test results, etc. Most doctors don't (and shouldn't) have a problem with being taped; if they do, that should tell you something.

I feel like I probably sound rather paranoid, but, have all too often seen where doctors totally misrepresented what patients have said, etc...

and what's that old saying? Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that you don't have a reason to be?

all the best,
    Victoria
  6. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

I always tape my doctors' appointments, because of brain fog. They don't mind.

I have not taped the appointment with any of the doctors that my insurance company has sent me to - it's a good idea though.

I think you have to notify/request that you tape the interview. I think you can be in serious trouble if the taping is done without the knowledge of the doctor.
  7. hartogold

hartogold New Member

I think it's a great idea! I wish I could have taped the orthopedic surgeon that told me that I was in too much pain to have my shoulder surgery (referring to my FMS/OA). HELLO!!!??? I can't use my right arm and it's killing me. Just fix the darned thing so I can get a portion of my life back!
    Sandy