How are people in the Midwest doing with the storms and heat?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gapsych, Jun 21, 2010.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I live in the midwest and right now it is 87 degrees with a heat index of 101. We have been deluged with one wave of rain after another with severe storms. I know other places are also getting this strange weather. Minnesota had a record number of tornadoes in one day. Very little sun.

Now we have a tornado watch.

So far, it has not bothered me that much, knock on wood. But I can hardly go out in this humidity as it makes me sick. I make a mad dash from my place to the car.

How do you cope? My grandson will be one this Thursday and the party is going to be at a park unless it rains. That will be the one time I will want rain.

How are other's doing?

2. kat211

kat211 New Member

I just got off the roof and I am seating buckets. I had to mail down a gigantic tarp b/c the roof is leaking really bad from the last storm. We are supposed to get a system tonight into tomorrow night, so lets hope my tarp works.

I swear, I'm gonna be a pro at roof repair and maintence by the time a roofing company actually gets out here to fix it.

Coping? Well, this kind of heat makes me really cranky so I let the kid do pretty much what he wants and I try to keep my words to the bear minimum when speaking to others. It also makes me sleepier than usual so I nap a lot.

Right now I'm going deal drinking a few gluten-free beers while I make room for my car in the garage and sneak a couple of cigarettes.

I also enjoy green tea with green tea ice cubes - it makes me smile, even if only on the inside. Of course this heat is making me regret the purchasing a leather couch, but not too much when I realize it is easier to clean after the dogs get it muddy than a fabric couch would be.
  3. shirley1259

shirley1259 New Member

We are supposed to get thunderstorms here tonight. Im just hoping they hold off until my dogs are in for the night. I just got done mopping my floors. And kat you were alot smarter than me buying the leather couch I have the fabric one and 4 dogs. lol

4. kat211

kat211 New Member

I bought the couch b/c I liked the way it looked. I had no thought about what my 3 giant dogs would do to it.... nOthing smart about this particular purchase. ;)
  5. shirley1259

shirley1259 New Member

I liked the way mine looked too when I bought it. I have 3 part lab part golden retrievers and one little itty bitty mutt. You can about imagine what my couch looks like now. lol
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

KAT!! Up on the roof? Geese. Be careful.

Do you sing "Up on the Roof" when you are, er, uh, up on the roof?

kat said:

"I just got off the roof and I am seating buckets."

On your new couch? I am scratching my head here. Hopefully they are not full of water when the dogs jump up there. Wait, was that someone else?

Time for bed.

la green tea da.

7. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

I was sooo looking forward to spring/summer after a long hard winter of pain but this year not even getting the usual little relief due to the constant storms . Maybe it will let up soon. its so exhausting to be in pain day and night as I know you all know that. I would move in a heartbeat if I could find somewhere to run from this pain. well enough of my whining. God Bless all
  8. kat211

kat211 New Member

HAHAHAHA! see, the heat has scrambled my mind.

I was thinking I should get a tin roof so I can be kat on the hot tin roof. But if I get a new roof I won't be able to have all the fun I am currently having to climb up there and repair it. ;)

9. loto

loto Member

I live in the midwest, also, but a little farther east than you.

The heat and humidity is unbearable for me, also. The temp here is supposed to reach 100 today, and that's NOT counting the heat index. In fact, my area is under an excessive heat warning till tomorrow night. Don't know if it's supposed to be a little "cooler" then, or what.

In fact, this past weekend I had to miss my daughter's softball tourney because I cannot tolerate being in the heat. She went with others, telling me it would not upset her if me or her dad didn't go. He didn't go because I didn't go! I hated so much missing the weekend trip with her, though. This is the first time since being diagnosed with FM that I've had to miss something because of heat intolerancies. It makes me so angry and depressed!

I've been praying for some relief from this awful heat. This weekend is another softball trip, and I'm going. I can't miss another one.

10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

We finally got some relief today. It was sunny, the humidity was low and a breeze.

I was so worried aboutnot being able to stay any length of time for my grandson's first birthday party since the humidity makes me so sick. What a break.

However, some of us stayed at the park afterwards and by sundown the mosquitoes were coming out. I am sure we will have a lot this season.

We are suppose to get more rain in Illinois on Saturday. It's certainly been a strange spring and summer. But wait, winter and fall were, too.

Kat, that was so funny, I groaned. Good one.