How are you able to get Lyrica??? Please help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by risinforce, Oct 25, 2005.

1. risinforce

risinforce New Member

I'm in the US and according to my doctor Lyrica(sp) is not available in the US yet. Is this true? I've seen many posts regarding this medication and want to desperately try it. I'm at the point with FM that my flares are debilitating.

I'll basically try anything in other words. Are you obtaining it over the internet or are you in other countries?

Any info will help as my pain doc is not only a relative of Hitler's he is not very bright. Unfortunately he is about all there is available to me in my area.

Thanks,
    Shawn
  2. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/drugsatfda/
    (click on the "L" to see Lyrica)

Label and Approval History

Drug Name(s) LYRICA (Brand Name Drug)
    FDA Application No. (NDA) 021446
    Active Ingredient(s) PREGABALIN
    Company CP PHARMS
    12/30/2004
  3. dafoefan

dafoefan New Member

I was offered it yesterday by my dr. I chose to stick with neurontin, and just upping my dosage since I have been using it for some time. The 2 drugs are similar. It's possible that the dr. you saw meant that it wasn't available on your insurance??? It is very new so some insurance companies may not pay for it?

HTH, Lisa
  4. alonebutnotlonely

alonebutnotlonely New Member

Shawn,

I'm in the U.S. also. Last week my PCP gave me a sample bottle of 75mg #30.

I've been reluctant to try them because I've never had a problem with Neurontin, which he wants the Lyrica to replace.

I have epilepsy therefore the reluctance and one of the side effects is weight gain.

Dee
  5. blondie45

blondie45 New Member

I just saw my rheumatologist 2 weeks ago. I mentioned it. He had not heard of it. I find it amazing to say the least that some of our doctors are the last to hear about these new treatments. Of course, if your doctor hasn't heard of it he certainly is not willing to let you try it.

6. Elizabex

Elizabex New Member

Hi,

I'm a hospital pharmacy technician. Lyrica has been available for at least a month if not way more. It is classified as a Schedule V Controlled Substance, just an FYI.

Bekcy
  7. chp1298

chp1298 New Member

Hi,

Lyrica became available in the US Sept 23. Most doc's are not familiar with it. When I askd for it my doc went and got his drug book he receives monthly with new drug and read up on it.