How are you affected when riding in a car?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PianoGirl, Jul 17, 2006.

1. PianoGirl

PianoGirl New Member

I've started to have a really rough time while riding in a car. Seems my arms just can't take it any more, the pain is unbearable by the time I get to my destination. We travel a good bit to my home town which is an hour from here. The trip is awful for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can make riding in a car more tolerable?

We are leaving for the beach tomorrow and I can't fathom how I am going to cope with a 4-5 hour trip!!!!

Thanks for any replies :)
  2. cymbeline

cymbeline New Member

I wear an eye mask- it helps my eyes not get strained nd also helps me relax my body a bit- i also put the chair back as much as i can and try to change position. I don't go on long journeys if i can help it. if i do it helps to stop every so often and stretch a bit or if on a very long trip to stop and lie down, either outside or on the back seat if nesacary. I also have a bit of ginger which helps as i get carsick now.
    Hope the trip goes ok
    Take care
  3. lease79

lease79 New Member

I don't cope well at all.
    A trip to Adelaide, 2 1/2 hours drive from here has twice put me in Emergency because the pain has been totally unbearable in my arms, shoulders, neck by the time that we get there.
    I try now to remember to take a muscle relaxant now before I go ;)

Lisa
  4. Nikki

Nikki Member

Other suggestions + soft pillows (to use as arm rests) & maybe one to sit on. A light blanket if I get chilled. I sit in the front seat and push the car seat (not the back of the seat) back as far as possible.

I wear my tenny shoes w/orthodics but usually end up taking them off - wear half socks to keep the feet from getting too cold. Wear support hose (knee hi's) under socks.

Take meds right before leaving - may have to take extra just to make the ride doable. Our seats are heated and it wouldn't be unusual for me to use the heat in the summer - they work like a heating pad.

Bring lots of water. Get out of the car every 2 hrs. to stretch muscles.

Definitely bring sunglasses or as someone else suggested, wear a sleep mask. Wear a heat patch.

Tell hubby you won't nag him as long as he doesn't tailgate or drive 5 miles over the speed limit (oops! that may not apply to everyone else).

Rest as soon as you get there. If you don't, everyone will pay for it in the long run, cause when Mama's not happy (all together now) NOBODY'S HAPPY.

Have a fun vacation,
    Nikki
  5. TAM

TAM New Member

Hi,

I feel for you. I know exactly what you mean, theres no way i could ride or drive in a car for a 4-5 hour trip, i can't even handle an hours drive. IF I DRIVE OR RIDE IN A CAR FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME IT MAKES ME GO INTO A FLARE UP THAT LAST A GOOD WEEK SOMETIMES A LITTLE OVER, MY PAIN ALL OVER GETS WORSE, AND I HAVE TO PULL OVER TO VOMIT AND EVERYTHING. NO WAY WILL I RIDE OR DRIVE LONG ITS NOT WORTH IT!! And when i drive over railroad tracks it makes my head pain soo soo much worse ISN'T THAT STUPIED!!

All i could recommend is for you not to go if its not for a doctors appiontment or for a family emergency don't go.
    Would you really enjoy the beach after you got there?

I hope you find something that helps you so that you can travel longer sorry i can't recommend anything nothing i have tried has ever helped me. Good luck. Tammy.