how bad is carbonated water?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by painandagony, Mar 14, 2006.

1. painandagony

painandagony New Member

Thanks to all of you who have written to me. I have a question...I know carbonation isn't good for digestion, but how bad is it? Sometimes I drink a lot of it.

Thanks
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

It increases bone lost.Thats why carbonated drinks are not good for any of us Men or woman , boys and girls.

I have osteoporoses and it was my doctor who gave me a pamphlet on carbonated drinks and bone lost.

I passed it on to my girl friend who has 2 teenage girls who always drank soda.She told them that if they kept drinking it they would wind up like me.

They have now stopped and only drink juice and milk.

Hope I helped a little thats all I know about it.

Sue
  3. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i found lemonade relieved my sickness but didnt want to drink something so sugary so i now drink fizzy water which helps.

i think some more research on this would be really interesting, i did hear however that diet versions of fizzy pop actually take the minerals from your teeth. i dont know how much thruth there is in that but again its interesting!
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Is just made with bicarbonate which is good for acid bodies, whihc a lot of us have. Here is what we do. Get the plain, no salt added just bicarbonated water. Add to black cherry or other good organic juice. Voila, nice little fizz. Once a day is good enough. I have a bad stomach and this helps me a good deal as the bicarb helps the alkaline body balance. It is also cheaper.

Love Anne C
  5. mamaeagle0103

mamaeagle0103 New Member

I too drink the plain carbonated water with either a fresh lemon twist or unsweetened, natural fruit juices. I have to have the bubbles in the morning to settle my stomach. Love this post!!!
  6. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I think the main problem with bones and teeth is drinks containing phosphoric acid like Coke and Pepsi. As mentioned, plain soda water should be fine and can help alkalinize our bodies. We used to mix it with fruit juice concentrate to make our own soft drinks for our kids.

Jan
  7. painandagony

painandagony New Member

thanks for all the info. It looks like there are some different possibilities out there. I will do some research and let you all know.
  8. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

At least it is what I tell myself as I sip on my carbonated water!
    A
  9. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

This is from the Remedyfind fibro newsletter:

SOFT DRINKS
    Carbonated beverages contain orthophosphoric acid that leaches calcium and magnesium from the body. These two minerals are sometimes called "nature's tranquilizers. They are absolutely necessary for healthy muscles and bones and to avoid muscle cramping. (Diet soft drinks are even worse than regular, because they contain aspartame, an excitotoxin.)
  10. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

It's unfortunate they lumped all carbonated drinks together. Here's a paragraph from a Mayo Clinic newsletter:

"Noncola carbonated soft drinks, however, do not contain phosphoric acid and often do not contain caffeine, and several studies have found that noncolas are not specifically associated with increased fracture risk among school-aged children.2-4 In a study of 460 teenaged girls, Wyshak3 showed an increased risk of bone fractures in active girls who drank colas but not noncolas; conversely, there was no increased risk of fractures in active girls who drank noncolas but not colas. However, active girls who drank both colas and noncolas had an increased risk of fractures."

The problem is phosphoric acid so if you read the label and drink the non-colas you should be fine as far as leaching minerals. However the sugar and artificial sweeteners are a whole 'nuther story! That's why we made our own drinks with fruit juice concentrate and soda water.

Jan