How big a part does stress play??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by poeticbobbi, Apr 19, 2007.

1. poeticbobbi

poeticbobbi New Member

I've had a CRAZY stressful afternoon.I mean I yelled and screamed and lost my cool.I know I am gonna pay for this later on.I already wasn't feelin good.
    Is there anything I can do or take to quiet the storm before it actually hits???
  2. jmq

jmq New Member

I have not figured that out yet. If I can, I take a 1/2 of xanex just to force my muscles to relax but sure enough I pay for any stress. I have also noticed that it does not take alot of stress to trigger me anymore. Now, I seem to have a reaction to things that I would handle in a heartbeat. I hope you do not get whammied that bad.

Take good care of yourself,
    jmq
  3. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

I agree that "what is stress" seems to be a moving target now. Sometimes it is having to smell the broccoli all over the house after dinner believe it or not as my senses get tired of smelling it and can't block it out. Stuff that small.

I think the best thing to do as soon as you've felt that wave of stress and anxiety is try to stop it in it's tracks. Change it as fast as possible. Drugs, breathing exercises, walking, silence, whatever works.

I feel your sense of dread as you know you will pay later. That always scares me and, by the way, let's me know I'm in a weakened place and need a big break.

Breathe in . . .breathe out . . .
  4. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Stress always makes me hurts so much worse. One thing you have got to do it get away from whatever is stessing you. Get clean away from it. I have no idea what it is, but but put distance between it and yourself right now. Calm down, try to think of something else. Take a hot shower, relax those sore muscles, take a pain pill or antidepresant, lay back on the couch.....relax, relax, relax! Find a funny show to watch or read a good book...take your mind off whatever the problem was.

Good Luck honey...I hope it does not hit too bad....I know how bad stess can hurt.

Kellyann
  5. budmickl

budmickl New Member

This was posted today on the depression board by picman. It is a great article on stress and seratonin.

http://www.enotalone.com/article/4116.html
  6. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, poeticbobbi and all.

According to the glutathione depletion--methylation cycle block hypothesis, there are two basic causes of CFS, both of which must be present for a person to develop this disorder. The first is an inherited set of genetic variations (polymorphisms). There are several genes involved, and various combinations of polymorphisms in these genes can make a person vulnerable to developing CFS, if the second cause is also present.

The second cause is a load of long-term stressors, which can be some combination of physical, chemical, biological and/or psychological/emotional stressors.

In this hypothesis, these two causes together bring about the onset of CFS. This results in a depletion of glutathione and a block in the methylation cycle. From then on, the disorder is chronic. The person operates at a less than normal level of glutathione all the time. It's enough to function, more or less, but not to be completely healthy. Crashes occur when the load of stress is increased, pushing the glutathione levels down even further.

Fortunately there is a treatment that even promises to be a cure. If you want to read more about it, look at the thread that has "Perrier" in the title. I'm not selling anything, am not exaggerating, and this is not a hoax. This is new.

Rich
  7. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, nofool.

"You may not be selling anything, but others are --- big time.
    Like 30 some bucks for a fluid once of a substance that can't possibly benefit any person."

***First, let me say that I can't speak for what others are doing.

***Second, as I've said before on this board, the RNA supplement in the simplified treatment approach I've suggested is optional.

***Third, based on the testimony of a large number of people who have either taken these RNA supplements themselves or who have given them to their autistic children and observed the results, I would say that there is considerable evidence that contradicts your assertion that they "can't possibly benefit any person." If you want to read these freely offered testimonies yourself, I suggest that you check the forum at
    http://www.ch3nutrigenomics.com

"I've been reading some of the autistic blogs, and bloggers with a scientific background are quite upset about folks whom are charging outrageous amounts for supplements that supposedly work."

***There is controversy in all directions on the autistic blogs. This is understandably a very emotionally charged field. I have been to both a DAN! conference and to one of Dr. Yasko's training conferences, I have been interviewed on Autism One web radio, and I have ongoing communication with some autism researchers, so I am familiar with some of the different views. It's true that the RNA supplements are expensive. They are not required in Dr. Yasko's treatment program, but people who have tried them do testify that they help a lot. I think people have to make up their own minds about what they are going to do.

Rich
  8. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Erik.

Well, you and I have been over this ground several times during the past few years on various boards, so I won't repeat everything again.

But for those who aren't familiar with what I've said before, let me just say that the current case definition of CFS is a broad umbrella that includes both the epidemic cases, such as yours, and the sporadic cases. I realize that you are not happy about this definition, but I didn't have anything to do with writing it.

I have agreed in the past that the epidemics were likely caused by a virulent pathogen that was able to infect people without much regard to their genetics, though genetics may have protected some people even in those situations.

When I include biological stressors among the stressors that can contribute to onset of CFS, I intend to include pathogens. I realize that you don't like that use of the word stressors, but it is nevertheless a common use of the term in stress research.

I think that if you will read some of the posts from others with an open mind, including the one that started this thread, you will see that stress (including emotional stress) is a major factor for many people with CFS.

As I've said before, I'm perfectly willing to accept your testimony that emotional stress was not involved in the onset of your illness. Based on what you have reported, mold toxin susceptibility appears to be a major factor in your case, and I would include that as a biological stressor, though I know you don't like that use of the word.

Rich
  9. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, nofool.

I don't think it's accurate to say that Dr. Yasko's treatments are not scientifically sound. The scientific method involves comparing hypothesis to observation. This is exactly what Dr. Yasko does continuously. She has personally reviewed over 5,000 genetic panels, together with associated biochemical testing and medical histories. She does use the scientific method.

Now, if you want to argue that her theories have not all been tested by other scientists, I would agree with that. Her treatment approach is out ahead of the state of research in autism. I will be very happy to see the research catch up with her, and I expect that she will not be 100% correct on everything. None of us is. But it takes a long time for the research establishment to test everything and reach conclusions. In the meantime, there is a very large number of autistic children, and the sooner they receive effective treatment, the better their prospects. I think each parent of an autistic child has to make their own decision whether to wait until everything is agreed upon, which may mean that their child may not achieve as much recovery as he/she could if they started earlier. It's a tough choice. But don't underestimate the autism parents. They do their homework. I've heard from many who tried other approaches first, and their children were not helped. Then they switched to Dr. Yasko's treatment, and they saw progress. I have never encountered more motivated people than the mothers of autistic children. Some of them sound like biochemical experts, though they may never have had a formal course in the subject.

Rich
  10. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I wonder if I should submit my experience for the benefit of poeticbobbi, who started this question...

Stress plays a huge part in my FM/CFS symptoms. I've noticed that even good stress, like a visit from my family, will send me spiraling down. Stress makes my symptoms MUCH worse, and it takes several days before I am back to pre-stress levels of pain/weakness etc.

I hope this helps! Maybe others of you have has similar experiences to mine.

Debbie
  11. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

hi guys just want to put in my 2 cents worth, stress is absolutely a factor with me, how else do you explain adrenal fatigue? It makes much sense to me that stressfull situations overworks the adrenal system and when that happens it makes you feel bad. I am not a doctor and dont understand the nitty gritty of things but as depression is a result of bad things happening over a long time it causes a chemical imbalance in the brain and thus depression occurs. Yes i believe also genetics is afactor to whether you may be predisposed or not
    So sorry for the rambling know what I want to say but the brain just isnt functioning and guess what am getting stressed cause I cant express my thoughts.......

good luck to you all

ps you know that sometimes your body plays trick, when I feel stressed my blood pressure is low and visa versa

love n light
  12. kriket

kriket New Member

Sounds like you may need something to calm your nerves before you explode.

I believe STRESS is a BIG word and does play a HUGE part in this dd!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are not alone on this.

Kriket
  13. buffyr

buffyr New Member

Stress is my NUMBER ONE cause of flare ups. I have had a hard time dealing with stress my entire life. It does not even matter if it is good stress or bad stress, stress is stress to me. Xanax can definately help for immediate relief. I have found cognative therapy and lexapro(an antidepressent), to have helped me the best long term. Right now I'm dealing with getting ready for vacation(good stress) with mt sister in law coming for a few days of it(BAD STRESS lol) and my son and I have strep throat. But sos far I'm keeping sane. Yeliing and screaming like you said is preferable to holding it in, that will make you worse. Hope you feel better soon! -BuffyR
  14. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

good on ya noenergy1 well said couldnt say it better myself re previous entry.
    I so believe that stress or at least too much of it has caused all the combinations of this illness, its my gut feeling. Yes its more complex than that but to simplify matters a little is not a bad thing. We all have our own ideas on things and so be it.
    THANKS YOU for PUTTING IT SO ELEGANTLY AND simply

in love n light
  15. MPearce

MPearce New Member

poeticbobbi,

I can relate. Since I have been on Cymbalta 30 mg. for FM I have noticed that I am much more calm and when something arises that really ticks me off I just seem to handle it without losing my cool. I have always been the type A personality and lost it very easily. I've only been on Cymbalta for 1 month so far. It has helped me to a degree with my pain but mostly my emotional health. I am a Realtor and a part-time instructor. So, needless to say I can have a lot of stressful situations and it has helped. Hope this helped you with the Cymbalta info. Do you take anything for FM?
  16. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

Yes noenery1 I agree its easy to forget that most of us arent scientists or professionals in the medical field and need plain language, thank you very much
    since Iam only new at this I must say that the more difficult posts to comprehend have really overwhelmed this weekend and being in another country doesnt help cause our protocols seem to be different. Antidepressants and painkillers the common strand but after that not much as I see it now at least. So you can understand why Iam overwhelmed with the whole thing at the minute but I will keep scanning the posts to gain more knowledge on this thing we have.....

kind regards to you all
    love n light
    connie

17. mossrose101

mossrose101 New Member

I have to say I agree with you one this one and it concerns me that some in the medical community think that CFS is somehow caused by unresolved stress.

I am sick and tired of hearing my doctor ask me 'how is your stress level' everytime I see him or talk to him about some particular issue.

I do believe that stress factors can make me feel worse with the CFS at times but in no way do I think it caused what is wrong with me.

There...my 2 cents worth
    [This Message was Edited on 04/25/2007]
  18. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

This thread seems to have moved off the original question but I am writing in response to the recent posters.

One comment I read over and over from researchers is that CFS needs to be divided into further subsets. I totally agree with this and believe that it may explain why there is so much heterogeneity.

I have a mild form of atopic dermatitis (skin disease) which is inherited genetically. From reading the medical literature, it appears people with atopic dermatitis tend to have immune systems shifted towards TH2 more than TH1, which makes them more susceptible to herpes infection. I also have high (1:640) titers of HHV-6. In my own case, I believe my genetics made me more susceptible to perhaps a chronic infection (biological stress) with HHV-6 leading to my CFS.

There were a couple studies looking at the link between atopy and CFS several years ago but the results were inconclusive, possibly due to the mixing of subgroups.

I had minimal emotional/ psychological stressors in the years prior to CFS. In fact, the last 5 years had been the most relaxing years of my life - I had finished all my education/ training and landed a great position. Emotional stress doesn't exacerbate my symptoms; physical stress does.

In my situation, it seems antivirals are the most well-documented way to go. I have yet to be convinced by other methods at this point and would like more concrete data on other methods. A real test of whether a particular type of stress contributes to CFS is to lessen or eliminate it and see if people improve.

[This Message was Edited on 04/26/2007]
  19. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

For me, it plays a huge part in my pain level! When I get more tense, and my muscles tighten up, and there you go - big time flare up.

Kinsie
  20. Marta608

Marta608 Member

This is what I think about stress and us:

Regardless of the cause of our illness, we must live within our physical and emotional means. I think we're more sensitive to our environment than healthy people so we must be aware of what's going on around and in us. It's a drag, this being aware stuff, but we need to do it. By the way, being aware is not the same thing as being anxious or worried. Being aware is observation without judgement. Learn to check in with yourself often.

Learn to be aware of things like if your shoulders are clinging your ears. That's a good indication that you need to relax!

We need next to prioritize our tizzy fits not unlike our money. To what do we really want to invest our energy? I see you have a child so that's a big priority for you. Within that, I believe you need further priorities. What is most important for your child to learn, for example? Pick three things and concentrate on them, let the rest go or let your husband deal with them; someone who has more energy to spare. It's amazing how much kids will learn just by example.

I find that because I'm very sensitive, many things get me upset if I let them. I must literally STOP, hand up in the air (remember that song: "STOP, in the name of love" by the Supremes? maybe you're not old enough...) and make a conscious decision whether or not this particular "thang" is worth the energy. Sometimes I decide to splurge but I always pay and this includes social situations.

If you have a medication you can take to help with anxiety, that's fine for emergencies but I don't like to see us become dependant on drugs instead of using our own self-governing mechanisms. It all becomes a habit, the drug or the self-control. Sometimes we need both but not always. Now I'll hear from those who think I'm saying I don't agree with taking drugs. That's not the case. I take Xanax as needed and Restoril for sleep, but I also am learning how to modify my behavior.

This means sitting down when you're not stressed, listing the things that stress you most and deciding what to "spend" your energy on. I call it Making An Energy Budget. Then when irritations and stressors come up, even if you have to look at your list!, correct accordingly. Walk away, sit down and do some deep breathing, take a walk, write in a Journal, listen to soothing music.... you'll find what relaxes you and works with your lifestyle. Sometimes repeating the Serenity Prayer over and over helps me or saying out loud: This too shall pass. I even have a new saying about little stuff that surprises me but works: I don't care. Someone else here says, Whatever. Find your stress mantra.

Get it all in perspective and put you on the top of your priority list for relaxation. Again, regardless of what causes our illness we must learn to live within our energy budget.

Sorry, this is longer than I planned but I'm passionate about this because it took me so long to learn.

Hugs,
    Marta

[This Message was Edited on 04/26/2007]