how can I be comfortable with my looks?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I put on a lot of weight in the last several months. It's getting me down, making me feel not so good about myself. I'm like, 'how did I let this happen, I look terrible!' But there's not much I can do about it, in the short term at least (can't exercize, diet is extremely limitied - all I'm able to eat is nuts, fish, yogurt and three kinds of vegetables! I'm not relishing the thought of giving up nuts).

How do I keep from feeling down every time I look at myself? How can I stop blaming myself for getting like this? I'm trying to lose the weight; how can I be at peace with MYSELF in the meantime?
  2. Hi and a big hug to you. I am in the same place, I was overweight when I started with all the fibro meds that caused so much weight gain. I hate looking in the mirror as I don't recognize myself anymore. I try to wear nice clothes, fix my hair, wear a bit of makeup and look as nice as I can. It really is hard, my dr says not to eat much but I honestly eat hardly anything. I am watching my carbs, it is so hard. It can be depressing, so I have no words of wisdom. Keep your chin up!!
  3. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

Dear Shannon,

Until I had FMS, I was 5ft 7" and about 135-140lbs. I wore a size 8. I could pull anything off the rack and wear it. I could wear any style I wanted. I took it for granted. I am ashamed to say there were times that I judged others by their looks.

Now I weigh 210lbs I wear a size 16-18. I struggled horribly with my appearance. I think though that I have realized that I have many many fine qualities. I am a really good mother, wife, sister and friend. I try very hard to keep working, to get healthier. If I lose weight in the process it's a bonus. However, if I don't that is okay too. Best of all I don't judge others the way I used to. I've become more open as a result. Focus on your strengths, your ability to keep on keepin' on in the face of illness, your relationships to others and I think you will find hope enough to carry on. I've lost a lot of things to FMS. A career I built my entire life. My appearance, physical strength and health. But I've gained some important insights too.

Good Luck and God Bless.
  4. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

went for a day of pampering or just a new hair cut and new outfit it might make you feel better. I am very overweight but when I get my hair done and wear something nice and people compliment me, it makes me feel better.

Even getting your nails painted helps me. I know it's not liposuction but.....
    [This Message was Edited on 09/07/2005]
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Shannonsparkles:
    You could 'be at peace in the meantime', by knowing you are on the right track. I like to focus on things when I know it is helping me. Sometimes it takes a long while, like my constant battle with being overweight. I am trying and do not feel as bad about it because I know I am working at it.

And if you missed the girls helping me getting back on track, I forge ahead one day at a time, knowing it is possible, though sometimes slow.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  6. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

I just love your name!

I'm in the same boat. I've gained 50 pounds in the last year and I was already 50 pounds overweight (180) when I started the last plumping up.

On bad days it's hard to joke about, but I usually just bring it up myself to people who haven't seen me for awhile. I tell them I've been retaining food.

I'm hoping to wake up tall and thin one of these days after the MD put me on thyroid (T3) a couple of weeks ago. Hope is a good thing.

The only things that help are wearing something that fits and consoling myself with the fact that the older I get, the more invisible I become. In fact, I find that even if I wear something really LOUD, which I'm prone to do, hardly anyone says a word. I think being an eccentric might be even better than having hope.

I can relate!! Take care of you!

Francie
  7. neeter1

neeter1 New Member

I am in the same boat....from the time I was diagnosed with FM I could barely lift a coffee cup to my lips..now 4 yrs later and doing a tad better...I have tried walking-woke up a bundle of nerves on my shins that took a year to stop the pain, tried swimming..the temp of the water would throw me into a flareup..BUT have recently found one thing that I have been able to do!! CURVES workout..I was skeptical. They offered me a free week to see if I could do it..I not only did it but am loving it. I didn't have the money before I got my disability. It's not all that expensive but when you have no money coming in, everything is expensive.

Working out at Curves doesn't mean I am cured...I still get tired, but, feel my strength is soo much better. I can do stairs without being in pain. I take it easy after working it out and on my off days. It's just such a high when I go to see myself in a room with a bunch of women and I am doing what they are!! You are only on the machines for 30 sec. and you have a recovery station in between machines. It's excellent for all of us with Fibro.
  8. neeter1

neeter1 New Member

Could you tell me more about it? Is it things that I can get over the counter?
  9. neeter1

neeter1 New Member

Thank you sooo much...I am going into Walmart tomorrow and will pick up both pills. My eyes and stomach stay bloated looking..

Neeter