How can I cope...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mariac2000, Nov 27, 2002.

1. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I just got the results of my bone scan after lots of wrangling and it's negative. So now I know it's Fibro. I've been pretty sure of this all along so I don't understand why I am so devistated. Maybe it's because I tried to make a few small things to take to Thanksgiving dinner and I am in so much pain I want to cry. The ultram has done nothing. It seems like it's getting worse and worse. I guess it's a flare up. My in-laws want to have X-mas eve at my house and I am going to have to say no. I feel so sad, as if a part of me just died, and my life will never be the same. The pain will never end and I can't bear it. How do I deal?
    Please help!

Maria

PS Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Hannukah
  2. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I just got the results of my bone scan after lots of wrangling and it's negative. So now I know it's Fibro. I've been pretty sure of this all along so I don't understand why I am so devistated. Maybe it's because I tried to make a few small things to take to Thanksgiving dinner and I am in so much pain I want to cry. The ultram has done nothing. It seems like it's getting worse and worse. I guess it's a flare up. My in-laws want to have X-mas eve at my house and I am going to have to say no. I feel so sad, as if a part of me just died, and my life will never be the same. The pain will never end and I can't bear it. How do I deal?
    Please help!

Maria

PS Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Hannukah
  3. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Maria, I know you feel so bad about this, but you will be able to cope. First, if the Ultram isn't working, as your doctor for something else. There's other meds you can try. I take Ultracet - a combination of Tylenol and Ultram. It works quite well. I also take Magnesium - a supplement. It is wonderful for muscle pain. My husband, who doesn't even have FMS, takes it now. Another thing I did is go to a "fibro-friendly" physical therapist. She can show you mild stretching exercises you can do.

I am still a bit bummed out that I can't do everything all at once. But once you get used to that, it's not so bad. For instance, if I make a holiday dinner, my guests always ask to bring something. One brings dessert, another brings salad. That cuts down on your prep-time. They would do that even if I didn't have FMS.

I also go to a therapist every few weeks. I like having an impartial non-family member to talk to about how I feel about having FMS, etc. It doesn't mean you're "crazy" or anything like that. But let's face it - this diagnosis can be difficult and it's nice to have someone to "let it all out" to.

I try to exercise as much as I can. I mainly walk on a treadmill. I go very slowly, but it helps stretch your muscles and give you that "endorphine high". You need to check with your doctor about appropriate exercises for you. When I'm at the gym I also try to go into the whirlpool - that feels great!

By the way, where is Oakland? I am from the Bronx and my cousins used to live in Jersey - first Caldwell and then Lakewood.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

There is a grieving process that comes with the recognition of these disorders; it is normal. After you are through with that phase, it will be time to plan a course of action. Prioritize your life, make lifestyle changes. Your right, your life will never be the same---but life is never the same anyway--it is full of trials, tribulations, and challenges for all. I am not trying to trivialize. We just make changes to accomodate and improve----and proceed forward. You deal with it---by going forward, one day at a time.

If your pain is not being managed, inform your Doctor. If he/she is unwilling to manage--find one who will.

Hoping you have a Happy Holiday--relax, and try not to stress--stress is not productive, and certainly debilitating.
    Best Wishes,
    Karen
  5. allhart

allhart New Member

all i can do is send

hugs

take care of yourself and try and have a happy day tommrow
    kara
    ps when did hannukah start ?
  6. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

Maria is right you will go through a process it is understandable DON'T beat yourself up about it. You do what you can do and if that means you are unable to host X-mas so be it.

I want to tell you that I have been blessed to meet wonderful people with this DD. If I didn't have this DD I would have never meet them. I'm not saying I glad to be sick, but sometimes good does come out of it.

It's okay to be upset and it's okay to be angry, but you will began the process of making changes in your life to make it easier to live...

Big warm hugs,
    Laura-SoCAl
  7. epicurean

epicurean New Member

My life is not the same or will it ever be,but I have a good life.First I got good medical help with sleep and pain managment.Exersise three times a week when I can.

tomorrow I am having 10 people for dinner,and am cooking it myself,except for baking,did that today with help.
    You can have a good life-just not the one you had before.
    Don't give up!!and have a Happy Thanksgiving!!
  8. jimWPBFL

jimWPBFL New Member

Maria Please check out a website called lowdosenaltrexone.org My wife was diagnosed with an auto-immune disease 24 years ago and up until 2 yrs ago nothing helped until we found this Drs. website. It's been 2yrs without any attack. Check out at bottom of site for area that says LDN and auto-immune disease and click on it. Hope that you and many others on this board look into it and have the same results that my wife has had. God Bless All !! Wishing everyone a healthy Thanks Giving. JIM WPB FL PS the whole site is interesting reading