How can I excercise?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tigerlily0677, Oct 27, 2011.

1. tigerlily0677

tigerlily0677 New Member

Everything I've read on fibro says to excercise but how can I excercise when I'm in so much pain that I can't even get out of my chair? When I'm having a good day I walk my dog for about 20 minutes two to three times a day but that is a very easy walk. Somedays I can't even handle that and have my neighbor walk my dog.

If I do feel good enough and go walk on the treadmill I am in so much pain and am so fatigued the next day that I can't get out of bed. It seems that everytime I over extend myself-even going out for a few hours doing nothing hard(I went and saw a play and sat in a strange chair and it triggered this very painful episode). I went on a date a couple of weeks ago and we just went to dinner then came home and watched a movie and the next day I couldn't get out of bed. I had to cancel my date for the next day.

I can never commit to anything because I never know if I'm going to wake up well the next day or if I'm gonna be sick. Noone wants to make any plans with me because I flake out all the time and of course people who don't have fibro don't understand.

I'm 34 and my body feels like I'm 90. It's very hard for me to have these limitations.
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

I hear you about not being able to plan. I'm relatively high functioning, but it get me as well.

I don't know if you have watched the videos on the me-cfscommunity (dot com) website. In the past I have been really wary of the whole 'graded exercise' thing, but they begin with the testing that helps determine what the upper threshold is, and it was pretty eye-opening. They're talking about a couple of minutes, twice a day, with a break in between.

For myself, there are days in which I just cannot move much. I think it helps to remember why you are exercising in the first think about that for yourself...for preventing de-conditioning? To lose weight? That might help you remember that you can meet exercise on your own schedule and still meet the goals you decide for yourself.

I have worse PEM if I am upright for a long period of time. I think someone needs to develop a series of exercises where the work doesn't really make us bring our limbs above the level of our heart.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Physical therapy? They use a lot of gentle exercises which help keep the body limber and strong. It's not aerobic but if you do the PT, you might be able to do some aerobic exercise with less flaring.

Love, Mikie
  4. tigerlily0677

tigerlily0677 New Member

Thanks BDTMU516,
    I"m really glad I found this site too because I've been feeling so alone.

I guess I should go easy on myself, I do take my dog for a walk twice a day, but I'm used to exercising hard and really pushing myself. It's hard for me to consider my measily little walks with my dog exercise but I guess this is my "New Normal". It's hard for me, I'm bipolar also and after years of fighting bipolar, i had to recognize that I have limitations and now that I'm not having any bipolar symptoms, I have new limitations to deal with. It sucks because I'm only 34 and have all this stuff to deal with.

The state provides someone to come out to my house and clean and do laundry and shop for me and that has really helped. I've done warm water physical therapy and that helped but it is not something they offer in Colorado. I'm having a really hard time finding a doctor that specializes in Fibro. During the summer I would go to the pool and it felt really good but they drained the pool for the winter. I almost went and sat in the empty pool and cried! :)