How can I manage this W/O insurance??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by roseants, Apr 1, 2007.

1. roseants

roseants New Member

How can I manage this condition with no insurance? I have been told I am medically uninsurable, I lost my ins. when I quit teaching, and Cobra was more than my mortgage, so I couldn't afford it. I have not been able to find a job that offers Ins. that I can actually do. No insuracne co. will cover me. My only debt is my home, so I don't qualify for any public health care. I can't afford the labs tests and most of the drugs they want to prescribe. All I could find was one of those discolunt plans. Any ideas?? Anyone??
  2. Ginner

Ginner New Member

Hi Roseants

1.Have you tried the "Dept of Human Services" in your area?
    2.SSI, Social Security, state assistance in your area?
    The telephone numbers will be in your govt. section of your phone book, I believe.

I only way that I know this because I recently applied for Disability,SSDI.

When I applied for SSDI, which is federal, then the SSI, which is state, automatically called me.

When you call these depts tell them you have no insurance, they will let you know your options.

Hope that helps, I am not a wiz at this by any means.

Gin
  3. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Have you tried looking on PPARX.org to find out what meds you might be able to get for free? Since I'm without insurance, I've been able to qualify to get 3 of my most expensive meds for free, which has been very helpful.
  4. roseants

roseants New Member

Thanks for all of the info! I have found a lot of info with the suggestions you have given. I currenly have my discunt plan through a company called IAB. I can get discounts on Dr's dental, vision, prescriptions (the generic are reasonable),hosptialization, life insurance, and a bunch of other stuff. So IT's not a bad plan, but I would be more comfortable with a more traditional insurance) I live in Arizona right now, but they do not have any programs for me as I am only 36. We are trying to move to Texas, and they have a medically unsurable pool there that I can buy into once we move. So for now I will just keep my fingers crossed and pray to the real estate gods.....[This Message was Edited on 04/03/2007]
    (but if I was pregnant and unmarried EVERYTHING would be covered! go figure!)[This Message was Edited on 04/03/2007]
  5. Engel

Engel New Member

I am out of a job ... if LTD doesn't go through I am totally out of everything. I can no longer work. I will have to wait and hopee that SSDI gets approved.
  6. Goldenlight

Goldenlight New Member

Hi Roseants,

I also live in Arizona and have been in a similar situation as you are. After being turned down by several health insurance companies I was finally accepted by AARP. (I don't know your age but you'd have to be over 50 for this.) I have chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia and so even with those diagnoses in my health history and having to report being turned down by other insurers because of these diagnoses they accepted me. They take people at 1 of 3 levels depending upon their health history and are much more lenient than other companies as their customers are all over the age of 50 and usually don't have pristine health histories. AARP are big advocates for health insurance for all. The other possibility is if you have or COULD have some kind of self-employment (even very limited!) then you would qualify for coverage by the Healthcare Group of Arizona or Arizona Small Business Association. There are no pre-existing conditions for coverage with these two. If you Google, you can find their websites to get more information on them. It took me 10 months to finally find individual health insurance so I know how difficult and frustrating it can be. I hope one of these things may be something that could work for you.

Best of luck!

Goldenlight