How can I stop intense night itch?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klarry, May 17, 2006.

1. klarry

klarry New Member

Does anyone else suffer from itching? Mine is always there, day and night, but I seem to be more affected at night. I feel like scratching my skin raw. Is there anyone out there who can tell me what to use that will stop this problem? I have had fibromyalgia for a long time. The itching seems to be a newer problem. I know my skin is drier, but I have a feeling the itching is related to my fibromyalgia. The more I scratch the more I need to scratch! Thanks.
  2. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Do you have bumps or red spotting?Iwould break out with lumps and found I had mercry poison in my body.I had to go to a Homopathy Doc for help.I hope you find something to help.
  3. BTANNER

BTANNER New Member

Thank you so much,just knowing on not alone,helps greatly.
  4. tlayne

tlayne Member

I think if you rule out dry skin (have you had your thyroid checked?), it is caused from CNS (central Nervous System). Gabatril helped me. Mine felt like there were bugs crawling on me. I think the reason why I noticed them more at night was because I was trying to hold still & sleep.

One night I was feeling like bugs were crawling on me as usual. My nightly ritual was too finally get up turn on the light & look for bugs in my bed, never finding any. This night when I finally did turn on the light & look I found a little hard black bug in my bed! YUCK! It felt no different then any other night when there were no bugs!

Do you notice that it is worse when you eat sugar or flour foods? Hugs, Tam
  5. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Besides what has been suggested, itching can be caused by poor liver function or it can be a side effect of narcotic meds.

Just a couple more suggestions. I hope you find an answer.

Kathy.
  6. sherri_baby

sherri_baby New Member

Hello,

I thought I would share what has helped with my night time itching. I went to the dr. for sore throat and eye irritation due to allergies. She prescribed me Fexofenadine 180 mg per day and I asked her if it would help with the itching as well and she said yes.

It has helped somewhat.

Hope this info helps,
    Sherri
  7. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

klarry:

I swear by the use of Benadryl for many things. If you can try 50mg. at night it might help. Good luck if you try it.
    Sorry you are having this problem.

nyrofan
    P.S. Aveno bath is good in combo with it.

8. CATS2

CATS2 New Member

HI KLARRY,

I STARTED HAVING THIS PROBLEM ABOUT SIX MONTHS AGO. THE ITCHING IS ON BOTH MY UPPER ARMS AND ON MY BACK. IT WAS SO INTENSE THAT I WOULD WAKE UP SCRATCHING MY ARMS. I REALIZED THAT IT WAS IN PLACES WHERE I HAD WORN NICOTINE PATCHES MONTHS BEFORE WHEN I QUIT SMOKING. I HAVE EXZEMA, AND MY DOCTOR PRESCRIBED ATARAX AND A TOPICAL CREAM, FLUOCINOLONE ACETONIDE USP, 0.025%. MINE IS SLOWLY GETTING WELL.
    CATS2
  9. tngirl

tngirl New Member

yes, it can be awful. I found out that A am very allergic to dust mites. I got a dust mite cover for my mattress and pillows, and wash my bed linens in hot water once a week.

The night time itching used to drive me crazy, I'd wake up clawing myself raw.

That hasn't happened since I the covers.

I'm also very allergic to a few other things.

If I use Cheer or Tide laundry detergent they make me itch. You might change laundry detergents and see if that helps.
  10. carebelle

carebelle New Member

try corn starch on your sheets at night, just lightly spread it around.You really should let your Doctor know and he can probably give you something but if you are like me I dont like to take anything added to what I already take
  11. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

i have had the same problem for three months it turned out to be an allergy to my BC pill. changed the pill, itching gone. it could also be eczema, you should see s doctor before it gets worse.

L