How Can I Take Vitamin D3?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joeb7th, Apr 13, 2010.

1. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

Every time I try to take vitamin D3 pills, even 400 mgs, I get so sick and sore and stressed in my lower GI tract that for 24 hours I am in a moaning and incapacitated state.

Just unbelievable soreness and the whole episode exhaust me for another couple of days afterwards.

You can't sleep through this state either.

My family doc told me today that Vitamin D absorption problems are not that uncommon.

I was relieved to hear that she believed me about what happens every time I try to take Vitamin D. But, then we couldn't figure out how to get this into my system some other way in amounts that I need.

In the last two years my Vitamin d readings on my blood tests have been super low...even lower than the lowest normal range. Every time.

I asked if there was a shot you you get of Vitamin D and she said she hadn't heard of any.

Any helpful advice on how I can get and take Vitaimn D3 in adequate amounts without putting my self in that 24 hour intestinal pain torture?
  2. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

i dont remember where you live- but can you try to get outdoors in sunlight everyday to get some vit d?

3. quanked

quanked Member

it in the gel cap form? I was taking it this way but I just started taking Swanson's Dry Vitamin D-3 form today--1,000 iu.

Not sure if this would make a difference for you.

I was taking 2 gel caps with 400 iu each. That is all I could find locally. When I saw the dry on Swanson's I thought I would give it a try.

Your reaction to the vitamin sound very uncomfortable to say the least.

4. spacee

spacee Member

Milk, fish (I think). Not up on my Vit D foods but a google would tell you.

5. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

check mercola's site and also swanson vitamins- I think there is a sublingual spray.
  6. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

How much vitamin D can just laying out in the sun provide?

I may be able to get one or two hours of "cool" sun on my body maybe every two days or so if I hugely change my lifestyle, overcome my bad body self esteem and dress differently. Shorts and no shirt on a fat guy?

No privacy in our small yard though and I am an embarrassingly overweight, grey haired old white guy...and I mean white!

I live in Northern California near the coast. It is not warm here but we do get sun like you would expect near San Francisco.

Being in my late 50's I don't have much natural body oil on my skin like when I was younger either. It seems that dry skin is a part of aging and living in this dryer climate.

Isn't it necessary to have enough natural oil on your skin to absorb and convert the sunlight into vitamin D? Can having dry and non-oily skin make any difference in how much vitamin D you get or don't get when you lay in the sun?

Also, in the last ten or more years, I can even get sunburned and this never turns into a tan anymore. It just stays red and burning then soon just goes back to pale white skin.

I will check into these liquid Vitamin D drops and even creams you recommend. I want to thank you all so much for this advice. Boy, it sure does pay to post your questions on this board. Everyone is so helpful and sympathetic. Much more so than doctors even.

Most of the time doctors are so rushed and having their thoughts on 20 to 30 daily patients one right after another versus the one on one thought time here.
  7. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

I read on line yesterday something about having Vitamin D3 conversion problems in the intestinal tract related to "damaged villi."

The ends of the villi are where certain absorptions take place and if these are for any reason damaged...this can negatively effect their function ???

4 years ago after a lower intestinal camera endoscopy I was shown pictures and told that these showed some "scarring and ulceration" in the "villi" and "jujenum."

The doctor who ordered the test and evaluated the results said that he thought I might have "beginning" Crohnes disease.

I took something like "Asacol" or "Endorcort" for awhile and it seems that my pain level evened out for awhile. However, due to insurance drops and such I went on to other GI docs and this issue kind of faded along with my drop in visits and complaints.

Later tests apparently didn't show these same results but I wonder about that scarring. Does that stuff simply disappear after 2 to 3 years?

I suspect that the things the first GI doc saw in 2006 indicated that I have "something" in regards to past anomalies in the villi and jujenum. Could this help explain my inability to absorb Vitamin D3 and maybe other nutrients as well ???

I post this here because I cannot share things like this with my GI docs. They usually interrupt and ask where I am getting my info and the second I say "on the compuer" they stop me and say this just confuses patients and to let them do the studies and diagnosis.

But, those "villi" and "Jujenum" findings I didn't make up 4 years ago.

I had one more camera endoscopy last November and three other GI tests and I was never ab;e to personally talk to this Stanford area GI doc after any of them. I was always so knocked out and he would be gone by the time my mind was clear enough to think straight. Finally, I just got a form letter saying that the test results showed only mild issues of things like hiatal hernia, some esophagal erosion and that there would no more need to see me as a patient.

However, after my upper endoscopy tests, this doctors did call and say he saw ulceration" in my "duedenum" and wanted me in the next week for a repeat of this procedure so he could do a biopsy. I drove the 100 miles again to do this...was too knocked out to talk to him afterwards...and I never heard from him personally after this. I assume that the second upper endoscopy showed no ulceration.

Can you have ulceration in your duodenum one week and it disappears the next?

8. NIELK

NIELK Member

I am also Vitamin D defficient.
    I take 1,000 i.u. of Vitamin D3 every day. But, you have to take it with food.
    Sunshine goes a long way. Even 10 minutes a day does wonders.
    I feel much worse in the winter and I attribute it to the lack of sunshine.
    I hope you find a way to comfortably digest the D3 but in the meantime
    I wouldn't underestimate the power of the sun.
  9. ProHealth

ProHealth Member

ProHealth does actually sell liquid Vitamin D3 drops (on sale right now for $8.07!)

You can find it here:

Or click on the "Store" tab above and enter Vitamin D in the search box.