How can I tell if I have Lyme?

Discussion in 'Ask the Doctor' started by saint1, Sep 3, 2014.

1. saint1

saint1 Member

I've been sick for years. Took a lot of supplements & saw fibro doc who helped but still not fully functional. As I search forums, I read many misdiagnosed with fibro really have Lyme. All my blood tests came back normal for years, until the last one, which showed 'past lyme exposure'. So I began a trial of Samento and Artesenuate.

I got chills, sweats, ache all over, and fatigue terrible. Does that mean I have Lyme?

I am getting to the end of my rope.
  2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi saint, It is very possible that you have Lyme and other tick-borne infections. Most people don't just have Lyme, since ticks are a cesspool of infections.

It sounds like you herxed when you were taking the Samento and Artesenuate.

Your best bet for a very thorough exam, testing, etc would be to seek a Lyme literate MD or ND. People travel to see them, since there are not that many.

Perhaps you are lucky enough to have one near you.

You could go to on flash discussion, sign up for free and click on the "Seeking a Doctor" board. Create a post asking for a LLMD or LLND in your state or area...put that in the title of your post. You will receive one or more private messages with info.

Then you could go to the "Medical Questions" board on and read posts and post your medical questions about Lyme.

There are many different treatments for Lyme and coinfections, but many people say that antibiotics are necessary.

It is helpful to find out which infections you have, since treatment differs. My adult nephew, for instance, found out he had Lyme, Bartonella, Babesia, and Protomyxzoa Rheumatica.

Please remember this one important fact: testing is so UNRELIABLE for many reasons, that one or more negative Lyme tests does NOT rule out Lyme disease.

Diagnosis is clinical.....meaning it should be based on history, symptoms, labs and exam. Most doctors do not understand this, and many do not think chronic lyme exists, leaving thousands of people sick forever.

Dr Horowitz calls it MSIDS...Multi-Systemic Infectious Disease Syndrome. He just wrote a book called,"Why Can't I Get Better?" talking about all the points that must be addressed in order for anyone with Lyme or any chronic illness to recover.

I am including some links to important information. I have lots more info if you need any.

Free online documentary about the unrecognized epidemic of Lyme disease,"Under Our Skin" (the sequel just came out, but is not available for free yet)