How can I wash hair w/o pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by baanders, Jun 13, 2006.

1. baanders

baanders New Member

I have very curly, frizzy fine, long hair...the worst type for fibro. I also have seborrhic dermatitis (dandruff). So I have to scrub my scalp because dandruff. If I use a dandruff shampoo, I get more tangles and they are hard to get out. I usually wash my hair every 5-7 days.

When I wash my long hair, my shoulders and upper back ache. But if I were to cut it, it would look like a frizzy clown's head. If I got it washed at the salon, they wouldn't scrub the dandruff. I don't mean to sound disgusting, but it is a problem for me. My dermatologist has no further recommendations.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
  2. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

It's not frizzy, but instead is baby fine so I have to wash it alot.

I find that it's easiest to do it in the shower. On the tough days, I have a stool so I can sit down in the shower.

Hope this helps.

God Bless.
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Nizoral shampoo can be found at Walmart and is for seborrheic dermatitis and I have found it to be the only thing that helps me. Used to be available only as an Rx.

Once you have gotten it under control you only need to use it every month.

When I wash my hair, I lean over the bathtub. I take a pain pill before that. My hair is fine, thin, and straight, and long. I use a cream rinse on the ends of my hair as it tangles so badly due to being thin.

Takes me 5 minutes to blow dry my hair and then I have to use a curling brush and that is hard too.

My photo is in my profile.

How do you wash your hair?

Hugs,
    Faye
  4. teacher

teacher New Member

I take it to the shop! I don't have the energy to do it at home. I also think of that time as "me" time.

I also use tea tree and lavender essential oils in my hair oil at home (I'm Black). That takes care of dandruff and itching.

teacher
  5. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Hi baanders,

I also have long, (frizzy when rains) hair. I had it cut a couple of times, shoulder length, and it was a little easier. But, with long hair, I can pull it back; love it.

My problem is that I'm losing a lot of my hair due to my thyroid problem. I'm on the medication but not sure what is going to happen next-appt with endocrinologist (sp) in July.

I know how you feel; I was going to suggest shower chair; fight did.

I wish I had an answer for you. I know your arms and shoulders get painful; can relate.

BlueSky555
  6. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

What i have started to do is use a shampoo with tea tree oil in it. that way it has to set for a little bit. that is when i just sit down in the tub and relax. Once it is washed out i put a conditioner on it and once again sit in the tub for awhile while it soaks in and then i comb it out sitting right there in the shower so i can take brakes whenever i want. The when I get out of the shower i put on my robe and lay down for awhile. normally takes about an hour to do all of that before i get dressed. On bad days it might take me the whole day cause I need a nap before i get dressed. lol....SueF
  7. baanders

baanders New Member

What is the name of the shampoo that contains tea tree oil? I would like to buy some. Thank you all for your suggestions. It's good to know I'm not the only one out there with this problem. You have all been very, very kind. God bless you all.

baanders
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

baanders:

I got a shower chair (with a back) and now I can shampoo easily.

nyrofan
  9. teacher

teacher New Member

I don't know what shampoo already has some in it, but call your local health food store. They should be able to answer that question for you.

If they don't have any, just buy a bottle and add a few drops to the shampoo that you are currently using.

Happy washing!
  10. kb101

kb101 New Member

I think that the salon brand of Paul Mitchell is one of many shampoos with Tea Tree.
    Wal Mart also sells their own brand.
    You might try mixing a bit of conditioner with your shampoo to keep your hair from tangling so bad.
    The follow up with a conditiooner like Pantene.
    I saw another post that mentioned Pantene and it really is a great product. I use the smooth and sleek.
    Also, if your Dermatologist has run out of answers for you, then maybe it's time for a second opinion on your scalp condition.
    KB