How can you tell fibro from arthritis pain???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by campbeck97, Jan 8, 2010.

1. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi , Ive had fibromyalgia for many years and the Dr. Dx OA arthritis in hands ,neck, feet , hips spine pretty much all over. I hurt so bad sometimes I dont think I can get through another day but of course I can and do. My question is how do you know if its fibro or arthritis pain, I just hurt all over feels like every muscle, joint and tendon all hurt at the same time.I do know im having trouble with flexibility and getting stiffer all the time.I guess I just needed to talk with someone THAT ACTUALLY KNOWS HOW IM FEELING. tHANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS. i AM ON MORPHINE FOR THE FIBRO pain but it doesnt help what im thinking is arthritic pain, and I dont do well with antinflammatory drugs. God Bless each of you!
  2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I have both fibro and OA. I first went to the Rheum. to see what was wrong with my knees. They x-rayed and diagnosed the arthritis in both knees. Then, he x-rayed my spine and hands. Both showed OA.

I had previously been dx with fibro by another doctor, and he confirmed it. I had the tender points test. I have found that, in my case, the fibro pain is much worse than the OA, except for one knee that also has a bone spur.

I was able to do some water therapy for the knee and that helped but now I am no longer able to do anything like that due to the CFS/ME and MCS symptoms. A little stretching of the knees also helped.
    I never could take the antinflam. drugs either. I just take some pain medication for it and use heating pads a lot. I would like to have a spa tub because I know hot water helps me. (Can't afford one). I really cannot tell what is hurting sometimes, it just all hurts! GB66

3. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

I have FMS, OA and RA. I can't tell which causes my pain either. I take Percoset 10 mg but it only takes the edge off the pain. I can take it every six hours and do most days. I try to hold out until around ten in the morning but some mornings I have to take one as soon as I get out of bed.

I also take Soma in between the pain pills. I can only take one half at a time while I am working because they make me so sleepy.

I use heating pads a lot. It helps along with using Therma Care patches. I try and find them at Big Lots because they are so much cheaper there. These really help in the winter months but I can't tolerate them in the summer.

I too am stiff. Some days I walk like the tin man on the Wizard of Oz. The more I move the better off I am but it is so hard to do this when every movement hurts so bad.

Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone out there. Hope you are feeling better and have had a good day.

4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I don't have arthritis, only suffer from severe Fibro pain, but my Mom does have arthritis and we've gone through a lot with her.

I would think that the Fibro pain would actually be harder to get relief from than the arthritis pain. Maybe the pain meds are helping the arthritis pain and not as much of the Fibro pain?
    Could that be a possibility?

I went through the x-rays, all of that stuff many years ago for my knees and hips because my pain was so terrible. I do not have any arthritis, just good ol' Fibro.
    My Fibro pain FEELS like it's in my joints, but it actually isn't. It's in everything around the joints. Also, do you have pain other than in your joints? My fibro pain feels like it's in my bones, but not always in a joint area - it can be in my shins, my forearms etc.

Your OA is probably making your Fibro pain, or your Fibro pain is probably making your OA pain much worse. You poor thing, it sounds like you're in awful pain. You certainly are not alone there! I know that stiffness and loss of flexibility can go along with Fibro as well. I wish I could help you decipher which is causing you more pain. Like I said though, I would think that morphine would help other body pain first, Fibro second.

Do you take any muscle relaxants for your muscle aches/pains? I found them to be helpful (at times) and every Dr. I've visited has immediately put me on those.

I hope that you can find some relief soon! I can totally relate to your feelings about wondering how you're going to get through the day, and then pray that the next day will be a little bit better.