How can you tell if you grind your teeth at night?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Asatrump, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

I have been having some dental pain with one tooth, and have seen both dentist and endodontist. Million dollar tooth already, at some point in the past 40 years had a pin, root canal plus crown...

I am wondering if I grind my teeth at night, I know some people have mouth guards. But how did you find out you were doing this?

I take a lot of meds that dry me out, and am sure I sleep with my mouth open as in the morning it is cotton..... all that yucky stuff. I kind of thought if my mouth is that dry I can't be doing grinding, but I don't know the answer to that.

Thanks if you take time to reply.
  2. kbak

kbak Member

Your dentist can usually tell if your grinding your teeth just by looking at them, also it causes jaw pain and teeth pain. Don't just assume that because you have cotton mouth you arn't grinding your teeth.

Good luck,
  3. kitteejo

kitteejo Member

If you awake with jaw pain that is one sign but also wear and tear on your teeth. Your dentist would have seen the wear on your teeth. Jaw pain is one of the symptoms for CFS. I do grind my teeth and do wear a guard but my jaws but I have awful jaw pain anyways. I think from CFS.

4. SkeptikSharon

SkeptikSharon New Member

I discovered I was grinding my teeth at night, because I was waking my husband up with it. Plus, I had the jaw pain for a year or two before that, started when my wisdom teeth came in and one was impacted into my jaw bone. After I had them all removed, the pain never really went away, and after my husband complained, I mentioned it to my dentist. He diagnosed me with TMJ and had the custom night guard made for me. Fortunately, I don't grind my teeth every night, more often when my blood sugar drops during the night or something like that. I also sleep with my mouth open, as I have difficulty breathing through my nose, feel like I can't get enough air. So I don't think sleeping with your mouth open rules out teeth grinding.
  5. Sun_Rae

Sun_Rae New Member

Hubby said I would wake him up by the noise i was making, so I decided to use some flimsy mouth trays I had from when I used to whiten my teeth; I quickly wore holes through the plastic. Then I got those boil n bite mouth guards from the store and wore them out within a month. I finally had some great ones made through the internet and have them to this day. My dentist never mentioned my grinding on my teeth, but they should be able to tell if they look closely. BTW - I grind when I'm stressed, which for us is often and doesn't take much.. Worries, you know??
  6. AlexC

AlexC New Member

I grind my teeth horribly and have to wear a night guard. Before I starting using the guard I would wake up with terrible headaches and some jaw pain. If you do grind it's very important to wear a guard. I learned too late and now have bone and gum loss that has resulted in needing a gum graft around several teeth and has also caused my two front teeth to spread apart (from bone loss) and now have a large gap between my teeth. Heavy grinding (bruxism) is a neurological condition that I think is related to all of the other neurological problems I've had with CFS. If you grind wear the guard!
    [This Message was Edited on 10/25/2008]

DRAGONSGIRL New Member

If you wake up and taste blood run, don't walk, (LOL) to the nearest drug store for a mouthguard! Cost is only around $29.00. Wish I had known of the inexpensive ones sooner! Couldn't afford the dentist one (around $300.00) and now have several dead and cracked teeth because of it.
  8. dentaladvisor2009

dentaladvisor2009 New Member

Hi Asatrump,

TotalGard does a great job spelling out what teeth grinding/bruxism is all about, and how you can notice if you are a victim of it.