How can you tell if you have mold?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Mar 19, 2009.

  1. lvjesus

    lvjesus Member

    I suspect my work has mold because I always feel achy here even when I don't on my off days. It is an old old house that have been turned into an office. Is there any way to tell that there might be a mold problem just by the way you feel?
  2. lvjesus

    lvjesus Member

    No, I have not been tested. It is just suspicious to me that even IF I feel better on my off days, I feel more tired and achy there. I can't figure it out and maybe there is no correlation, it just seems odd.
  3. Forebearance

    Forebearance Member

    Hi lvjesus,

    It sounds suspicious to me, too.

    The most accurate test you can do on a building is called the ERMI test. It's kind of expensive.

    If you can find some actual mold growing somewhere, you can send a sample to mouldworks to be analyzed. They will tell you what kind it is.

    But it's even more accurate to test yourself to see if you are being bothered by something.

    I suppose Puddleglum is right that it could be a simple allergy. People can be allergic to all kinds of mold, not just the toxic kinds. People with CFS/FM are equally likely as anyone to have mold allergies.

    However, people with CFS and/or FM are a lot more likely to have mold poisoning than most people. It is only caused by toxic mold. It's different from a mold allergy.

    In order to find out if you have mold poisoning, you do the panel of blood tests that Dr. Shoemaker does on his patients. Here is the page where the tests are listed:

    Those tests show you if your immune system is being bothered and activated in a certain way that only biological neurotoxins cause. So, they show if you have mold poisoning or chronic Lyme or similar things. In your case, since you know you feel worse in one building and better away from it, it points more toward mold.

    Oh yeah, I forgot. The first thing you can do is easy and cheap. You can take the BIRS test:

    It's a vision test that only costs $15 and gives you a clue if this might be an issue for you.

    I've done the tests, was diagnosed with mold poisoning, and did something about it. And now I feel much better. I hope you find a way to feel better, too.

    [This Message was Edited on 03/20/2009]
  4. babyk902

    babyk902 New Member

    be careful! i really believe that my boyfriends room has mold also, he had a leak for a while but i can actually smell the mold even though he thinks im absolutely crazy. I get achy, exhausted and can barely open my eyes when im in there, i just wanna sleep all day. I started spraying some lysol which definitely helps clear up the musty smell a lil bit and then i air out the room and open all the windows, makes a major difference for me.. but if you can locate where you think there may be mold maybe you can talk to your boss about it? I keep it simple so people dont ask questions, and I just say that I am allergic to mold and get really sick of it, instead of going into the whole "i have cfs" thing and going into my life story..
  5. Slayadragon

    Slayadragon New Member

    I suggest the following easy-to-read book for those interested in reading about toxic mold:

    "Surviving Toxic Black Mold Syndrome" by Mary Beth Short-Ray, D.O.

[ advertisement ]