How come I don't hear people talk about their flu symptoms?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lisjhn, Dec 15, 2002.

1. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

As I'm reading up and down the board, I read all about the other symptoms I have in common with everyone....the pain, fatigue, nausea, headaches, muscle and joint pain, insomnia, dry mouth, ringing in ears, dizziness, irritable bladder, IBS, ribcage pain, numbness....etc...but I hardly ever see anyone post on flu-like symptoms.

Why is that? For me it is the most horrible part of the illness. It's the main thing from preventing me to get out of bed and doing things. (I have meds for some of the other symptoms that at least, well....help a little. But I do not know of a med for this particular symptom.)

A good day for me is what I'd imagine a normal person to be like during a mild case of the flu...housebound and uncomfortable.

A normal day for me is what I'd imagine a normal person to be like during the severe stages of the flu....bedridden and miserable.

Doesn't anyone else have a problem with this and what helps???

Uggghhhh!!!!!! ~LISA
  2. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

As I'm reading up and down the board, I read all about the other symptoms I have in common with everyone....the pain, fatigue, nausea, headaches, muscle and joint pain, insomnia, dry mouth, ringing in ears, dizziness, irritable bladder, IBS, ribcage pain, numbness....etc...but I hardly ever see anyone post on flu-like symptoms.

Why is that? For me it is the most horrible part of the illness. It's the main thing from preventing me to get out of bed and doing things. (I have meds for some of the other symptoms that at least, well....help a little. But I do not know of a med for this particular symptom.)

A good day for me is what I'd imagine a normal person to be like during a mild case of the flu...housebound and uncomfortable.

A normal day for me is what I'd imagine a normal person to be like during the severe stages of the flu....bedridden and miserable.

Doesn't anyone else have a problem with this and what helps???

Uggghhhh!!!!!! ~LISA
  3. Kalli

Kalli New Member

Hi Lisa! For me it is because they (flu like aches) are not that severe. I can lay around all day aching from what feels like the flu and/or a cold but it just doesn't hurt as much as the rest of the pain in my body. Maybe you have those symptoms worse than most. At any rate, I bet you will get some answers and then we will know. Sorry, that sounds supid. More on the stupid part later. :)

Do you ever get the "real flu" or a cold? It has been 28 years since the flu for me- no flu shots- And at least 15 since I have had a cold. Something I have been wondering about among us with cf-fms.

Kalli
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

hi!!! I find it odd too that no-one complains much about that symptom.Thats one of my top 3 complaints!!
    Everyday!! You pegged it when you said normal for us-would have anyone else in bed being waited on! I feel so run down.I have'nt found anything to help~I want to try the pro-energy sold here.Its got the magnesium and malic acid that we so much need....supposedly.When I get caught up on some holiday debt,I'm gonna get some.Have you tried that?
    I've heard some people swear by it,and others have said it did'nt do a thing.Maybe i'll be one of the lucky ones!!(first time for everything right?)lol Thanks for asking.
    Have a better than normal day!
    Tracey
  5. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

Hi

Maybe it is because we are unfortunately so used to them!

Yes, I feel like I have the flu most of the time - I can say that since I started on B vitamins complex and Fish Oils (Omega) this has diminished some - Also Vitamin C and E
  6. lucky

lucky New Member

This is a good subject and you are right, since hardly anybody was complaining about the fluelike symptoms, I never bothered to find out if others are suffering from them as well.
    These symptoms are one of my worst if not the worst problems I am having with CFS/FMS for many many years, because the immune system also is out of balance for most of us, therefore CFIDS = Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunct Syndrome. However, I have done everything over the years and no matter what, these immune problems are there and I was told that in a few years (hahaha) we can expect some new drugs on the market. Well, hope we do not have to wait that long. May be somebody comes up on the board with some good infos what and may be there is something which I have missed and not tried.
    Take care, Lucky
  7. Sindy-Uk

Sindy-Uk New Member

Hi Lisa,
    I am always having aches and pains like one has when you are just recovering from flu. The fatigue doesn't go away. Like Kally I haven't had flu for about 17 years.
    Satin
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have Fibro, not CFS, and sometimes I do get that 'flu' feeling, not able to get out of the bed. But I do know, from reading the board here that it is more common to the CFS suffers then the Fibro.

Tandy, I take the Pro Energy, have been taking it now for two years.
    It does help me with the fatigue as well as the pain. I also take ZMA too, I think between the two, I am as close to 'normal' as I am going to get!

Shalom, Shirl
  9. Dara

Dara New Member

I know the reason I never complain about the "flu feeling" is because I "always" have it. I do have FMS but there is never one morning that I can wake up and not feel as if I have the flu. I think it's just so much a part of my everyday being that I don't even think of it anymore. I think I just took it for granted that everyone with FM feels that way, maybe not though. I think if I ever woke up feeling good I'd think I had died during the night or something, I'd know something wasn't "normal" for me anyway. I had to list my health problems on a questionnair not too long ago and all I put down was FM. The doc started asking about RLS, IBS, dizziness, achiness, all that stuff. I said "well, of course, that's part of the FM, isn't it?", even though it goes along with it I guess they really are all separate things though. Anyway, that's my reason for not thinking about mentioning the flu problems. Wouldn't it be wonderful to wake up some day and really feel good? Not just our version of feeling good, but a normal person's way of feeling good??

Dara
  10. teach6

teach6 New Member

I only have the flu-like symptoms when I have pushed myself too hard. Before I began seeing my treating doc I had them daily, but not any more. Right now I have had a sore throat which has not gone away for almost a week. I don't have them too often either, though I know others who have them all the time.

My biggest complaint by far is the fatigue. I've tried Pro-Energy, even double strength, and don't think there's been a noticable change. I have just started on CoQ10 and will be receiving some other new things within the week. I'm still looking for the magic potion that brings improvement.

So far I've noticed not much improvement, except for my NMH. Compared to a year ago I'm doing great. However I just checked my blood pressure after I had been up and walking around the house quite a bit and it was 95/63 with a pulse of 93. After sitting for a few minutes it was 145/75 with a pulse of 71. So it is definitely still a problem.

Barbara
    [This Message was Edited on 12/22/2002]
  11. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Lisa, like you, I have those symptoms every day! Get's so darn old, doesn't it? I have fm and cfs. This is one of the symptoms, that seems to depress me the most--it just never goes away.
    Karen
  12. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

Thanks for your responses. I guess I'm just feeling a lot worse than I used to, because there was a time where I felt a bit fluish but I just got used to it, forgot what it's like to be normal but I was still functional. Like someone else had posted, you always feel like "the day before the flu hits." That something's not right feeling.

I'll try to define it more the best I can. I know flu-like symptoms can mean most of the symptoms we have but what I'm really talking about is the viral feeling. That feeling in your head and circulating in your veins, that feeling that your body is being attacked by something, a virus of some sort. As I like to call it, the "head thing".

Also the pain is different. It's like when you DO have the flu and nothing can stop the muscle aches and pains. You don't reach for the vicodin when you have the flu because it simply won't work. You know it's just not right when pain killers don't work on that type of pain, sometimes they actually make it worse.

You know what I mean???
    [This Message was Edited on 12/15/2002]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/15/2002]
  13. evileva

evileva New Member

I have cfids and fibro. On my good days I feel like I have the flu and on my bad days I feel like I have the flu and have been beaten with a baseball bat. lol So I know exactly how you feel. Hang in there.
    Eva
  14. wander

wander New Member

Flu not me not in many many years. But flu like symptoms yes yes guess just don't always talk about them anymore. It is a feeling of general malaise. or like being hit by a truck. They come and go. Just want to lay in bed cause that is about all you can do like when someone really has the flu. Only theirs goes away after a few days. We are unique.
    Wander
  15. Ness

Ness New Member

I have been wondering about why I never actually get the flu myself....It has been sooooooooooooooo long..I use to think I had it all the time before I was diagnoised with Fibro..I have not had the real flu in what seeems a million years.

I think are bodies are so confused ..we are in a constant state of Fluism!!!!LOL

That is how I explain my bad days to co-workers anymore I just say my system is very confused today!!! That usually is good for a laugh.

Yeah, I know I am just so used to the achiness that it just isn't worth talking about most of the time.

Peace to You
    Ness
  16. BethM

BethM New Member

Lisa, this is one of the hardest parts for me to deal with, and when my FMS flares, this is it. I always feel achy, but there are days when the ache goes deep into my bones and muscles and nerves and that's when I get depressed and feel like this is NEVER going to go away. I think it's related to inflammation, because when I was taking Celebrex, the flu aches very nearly went away. Unfortunately, I can't tolerate Celebrex or any of the anti-inflammatories. Frustrating, because I feel so much better on them. I'm looking for alternatives, started taking powdered ginger capsules today. The book From Fatigued to Fantastic recommends ginger. Can't hurt, could help, I'm getting a little desperate. So, yes, the 'forever flu' is a major problem in my life.

Peace,
    Beth.
  17. nogilroy

nogilroy New Member

i am glad you asked this i have had fm for about 8 years i have not had the flu at all. just feels like it .And i just get a few colds once in awhile
  18. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

I never complain about my flu-like symptoms, becuase for me, that is a good day! When I feel flu-like, I am at my most able. Sucks to be us, I guess, and I gues I don't even try to figure out what to do about "flu days." For me, I feel lucky to feel that good! NOw, mind you, I am not suggesting that anyone else should feel "grateful" for those days. It is simply what I have come to expect from my life.
    Peace,
    Stormy
  19. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

the flu for the last 3 days...not that I don't feel a bit "fluish" all the time...this has been different...achy, low grade fever, 99.3, legs and back ache, just don't feel right in my head...can't completely put my finger on it. I told my daughter the other day I thought maybe it was fatigue over the thought of the coming holidays...knowing all the things I have to do and all the people that will be over at my house: I have 3 married children, and 6 grandchildren, and my husband's Dad, and all will be here on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Eve. Yes, they all pitch in; my husband does most of the cooking and yes, all the shopping and wrapping is done, but I still feel anxious and not quite right and very achy. Is that what you're feeling? Anyway, I hope you feel better for the Holidays...soft hugs and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year..."All I want for Christmas is for all of us to be pain free, if only for a day...this is my prayer for us all."

1Writer
  20. Cindi

Cindi New Member

I have Fibro, and have never "officially" been dx'ed with CFS, although I believe I have it! I was dx'd with Fibro 5 years ago, and did fairly well for the first 2 years. The last 3 have been bad, and I continue to get progressively worse :( I haven't found the magic combination of meds/supplements, etc., yet.
    My days are similar to yours, and I usually find myself housebound on a good day, and bedbound on a bad day lately!!
    This is obviously NOT the best way to live life. I'm STILL optomistic that things WILL improve, though :)

I pray that you get better relief from your symptoms soon!!

Hugs-
    Cindi