How common is a dual diagnosis of FM and CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tinktink, Oct 23, 2006.

1. tinktink

tinktink New Member

I was diagnosed with FM a couple of months ago and the more I read on the message boards the more I feel like I have had CFS for many a moon. I have a doctor appt. on Nov 7th and want to approach the subject with my doctor but and still not quite sure to how to do this. Any suggestions? Thanks Diana
  2. tinktink

tinktink New Member

3. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

There are many Drs. that believe it is the same thing, just CFS is the fatigue part and FM is the pain part. Some people are hit with one or the other harder.

I agree with this, as I seem to have both.
  4. tinktink

tinktink New Member

thanks for your replys happy and wake me. Best Wishes Diana
  5. findmind

findmind New Member

Some of the literature says up to 70% of people with CFS have FM, but if one has FM, only 40% get CFS.

Wierd, huh?

Gotta go, dog is begging for her dinner!

Oh, so is my dear SO!

findmind
  6. jole

jole Member

I know what the books say, but I believe you can have one, the other or both. I had FM for years, then got hit hard by CFS, and the two together are horrible. For instance, the FMers complain of pain more, and CFSers more of fatigue and spending more time in bed because they just can't be up.

BUT....I have only been diagnosed with FM, and my doc thinks they are the same. I don't agree.

Friends - Jole
  7. tinktink

tinktink New Member

Thanks so much for the replys. I'm going to tell my doc in a couple of weeks that I think I have had cfs since I was a child. It should be interesting to see what she says. I am going to reasearch it more between now and then. I did have mono as a child, and the symptoms are me in a nut shell. best wishes Diana
  8. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

(love your name)

Like the others, they seem to be common together. I always thought I only had CFS, but about a year ago at the doctors, he said that based on my symptoms, I also have Fibro . . . guess I have all along . . .

Be well, Mags
  9. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

I don't think they're the same either. I had a coworker with FM so badly that she was in agony nearly constantly. I had muscle pain, which was horrible, but different. She also never expereinced days where she was too tired to get out of bed, she even used to participate in sports (even though it hurt like hell, she said) which is something I wouldn't have been able to do even if I could tolerate the pain. So fatigue vs pain seems like a good way to delineate them.

Both disease sufferers are so hardcore!