How did it all start? Can you recall signs?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by liora, Sep 12, 2002.

1. liora

liora New Member

Do any of you look back and think you had warning signs all along but didn't know to do anything becuase of the general dismissal FM seems to recieve? I ask becuase in researching info for my grandma, I feel like I share some of these symptoms on a very low-lying, mild level. Such as:
    flu like pains mainly in my elbow leg,groin area, sometimes feet, chest, wrist, fingers and hands. I thought these little pangs of pain were normal, I always call them my flu pains. About the hands - i was told that it was carpal tunel (sp?) or arthritis, but when they tested my blood and all the other testing was complete, no eveidence of anything, but clearly my fingers to my elbows were severly inflammed. I was sent home with Vioxx and Celebrex and told they didn't know what was causing it but it their tests showed no need for concern. I left it at that. Also consistent swollen glands and lymph nodes (esp in pelvic area - my dog has a knack for walking accross me there OUCH)Tired- I think just due to my lifestyle (full time work, full time school.)
    I don't want to be a hypochondriac I just want to make sure I am utilizing this info. Can you share on, if you knew then what you know now?
    Thanks,Liora
  2. liora

liora New Member

Do any of you look back and think you had warning signs all along but didn't know to do anything becuase of the general dismissal FM seems to recieve? I ask becuase in researching info for my grandma, I feel like I share some of these symptoms on a very low-lying, mild level. Such as:
    flu like pains mainly in my elbow leg,groin area, sometimes feet, chest, wrist, fingers and hands. I thought these little pangs of pain were normal, I always call them my flu pains. About the hands - i was told that it was carpal tunel (sp?) or arthritis, but when they tested my blood and all the other testing was complete, no eveidence of anything, but clearly my fingers to my elbows were severly inflammed. I was sent home with Vioxx and Celebrex and told they didn't know what was causing it but it their tests showed no need for concern. I left it at that. Also consistent swollen glands and lymph nodes (esp in pelvic area - my dog has a knack for walking accross me there OUCH)Tired- I think just due to my lifestyle (full time work, full time school.)
    I don't want to be a hypochondriac I just want to make sure I am utilizing this info. Can you share on, if you knew then what you know now?
    Thanks,Liora
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I don't have CFS, I have Fibro, I started with the pain in my back about a bout with pneumonia. After that I would get pains from ankles to headaches that no one seemed to know what was causing them.

As for those flu like symptoms, thats more in the CFS family of symptoms then Fibro. I get that sometimes, but not too often.

You might want to read some of the information at the top of the board, and see if anything rings a bell.

I do know that most all of us FM/CFS are deficient in Magnesium, a very important mineral in the body. Maybe if this deficiency was caught early, it might help, just my opinon.

I did not fine out about magnesium till two years ago (I have fibro for 20 years), since starting to take it, I have less pain, and the flares are infrequent as compared to before I took it.

Just type in magnesium on the Library link and it will bring up all the information you need.

I would try to educate myself now if I were you. Thats the best weapon we have to help ourselves at this time. The medical profession is still 'out' on these two illnesses.

Hope this helps you get started!

Shalom, Shirl

PS, also drink water! Half your body weight in ounces per day. Heres a link for the water; www.watercure.com

4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

...mine started with waking up every 90 mins. all night long. Then I woke up with numb arms and legs, and had pain in my upper spine at the site of an injury from a car accident and so on......but,
    After I learned more about FMS, I could see signs going all the way back to early childhood. I was always super sensitive, very hyper-emotional, nervous, had a horrid craving for sweets and would eat them until I threw up if allowed, had several unexplained spells of tachycardia in early adulthood, had intractable allergies which made me miserable and were so severe that attempting shots for them almost iced me for good. I got migraines at 13, irritable bladder at 17, IBS at 23, started having vertigo at 24, etc. I didn't officially get FMS until I was almost 35, but I can really see now that the scene was being set in advance. Is this what you are talking about?
    Klutzo
  5. brightlights

brightlights New Member

I have FMS.

My first big signs were flu-like symptoms. I would get these every few months, and when I recovered, I felt worse than before, so I just kept going downhill.

I now feel that I had some signs way before that. When I would go on vacations and sleep in a different bed, after a few days, my legs would ache all day. The only way I could get the aching to go away was to really stretch those muscles. At the time, I just attributed it to being in a strange bed, and having a different routine from work, but now when I feel my legs ache like that, I know that a flare is coming on.

Sandra
  6. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I know now, that it started for me in Dec. 1978. I had a tubal ligation with spinal anesthesia and I got a spinal headache which didn't even break for five solid years. After the first few days the intesity of the spinal h/a went away, but I had a continual h/a for five years and then, only sporadic breaks. By the time I was 30, I had a total hysterectomy, so I've been on estrogen for 19 years now. I eventually had all the signs of FMS, but nobody knew what was wrong with me & you start to think you're nuts. You're embarrassed to go to the doctor because they still won't have an answer for you & I worked at the HMO that I belonged to as a nurse, so I was really embarrassed. I had to insist on certain things once I was diagnosed. You have to get very involved and pushy when it comes to your own medical care, no matter what your diagnosis is. dolsgirl
  7. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

after reading up there were many signs that I had many perpetuating factors.

My severe case of FM/CMP came on after being rear-ended.
  8. teach6

teach6 New Member

I have both CFS and FMS. Looking waaaaay back I remember the allnighter I pulled in college. There was only one because I felt SO rotten after it I vowed never again.

Then there was pledge season the semester following the all nighter. During Hell Night we had to stay up all night, but I became extremely tired and got chilled. I couldn't take it any more so they let me lie down and rest. Over the years I noticed that whenever I was overly tired I would feel exactly the same way.

Then there were the 3 MMR shots I had before/after my pregnancies. Each time when I was tested I showed no immunity so I was given a shot after I had the baby. I had the first because I knew I never had rubella and since I was working with young children I didn't want to run the risk of catching it from them when I was pregnant. After my third child (and last) my doc gave up on it. He figured my immunity just didn't show up. Was it really an immune dysfunction way back then?

I always fell asleep when we took friends sightseeing. I couldn't stay awake on the way home. I always said I was glad I didn't work in the city because I'd never make the commute.

When I went back to work full-time I had to cut back on everything else I did, even the first year when I was an assistant, not a teacher. Every summer it took me at least a couple of weeks to recover from the end of school.

Then I began to forget to write down the checks I wrote in my checkbook register. I switched to carbon checks. About the same time I began to have trouble balancing my checkbook, even after I started using a calculator. Now it's all on my computer.

I began to get sick a lot. I would have sinus infections every spring and fall and they usually lasted AT LEAST 6 weeks, sometimes more. Then there was the pneumonia I had for a month.

After I separated from my hsband I found my cognitive problems increased. I had done our taxes for 24 years, but suddenly that was completely overwhelming to me. I often paid bills late, I was just too tired, or simply forgot. At the time I was told I was suffering from depression, which made sense since I was going through a divorce. Now I look back and realize that the stress of the divorce just pushed me over the edge and made my CFS and FMS impossible to ignore. It's no wonder to me now that none of the many antidepressants helped me. That wasn't my primary problem.

For 5 years I believed that was my problem, even though I often voiced concern that there was something wrong with me physically. My tests didn't show anything and my doctors all chalked it up to depression and anxiety. Only when I became unable to work did it become obvious that my problems were physical, not emotional. Even then I had to change docs to get a dx.

So there are some of my "signs" of my gradual onset of CFS and FMS more or less showed up when the CFS got really bad.

Barbara
  9. Rosetta

Rosetta New Member

Mine started after a flu shot. I go sick with a upper respiratory infection and was off work for 10 days. I never missed work. I ran a high fever and could not seem to get over the infection. When I did return to work I was still extremely tired. From that time on, I would go home from work and go straight to bed. On weekins, I stayed in bed and could not do any housework, laundry shopping ect. My husband had to bring me food. I could not find the energy to eat in the kitchen. This was the worst time because I did not know what was wrong. It was a relief when I did get diagnosed with FM.
  10. liora

liora New Member

I have had a hectic several days...I appreciate all of your info. You know I really don't feel like I have anything at this point that says yes I have FM or CFS. But I feel I probably have some kind of predisposition to it. I have terrible yeast and allergy problems(among the other stuff I orignally listed) so I think I found a gyno who's into the wholistic approach. After about 10 rounds of meds for yeast infections/bacterial infections; take diflucan, flora out of whack get a bacterial infection. Here's antibiotics for the bacterial, here's diflucan for the yeast. By the time I was only getting about a two day break from one or the other and taking multiple anti-biotics as well as multiple yeast infection meds at once. I decided there was a problem with my doc not just my system.
    I'm reading Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and the Yeast Connection by William Crook, MD.
    Can anyone give me feed back on his stuff (whether you have heard of him, found it to be helpful, credible etc..)
    So nice to have this forum!!!!
  11. Girlof41

Girlof41 New Member

I think my mind and body were in a state of emergency two years ago when my husband needed an emergency quadruple bypass. Many complications followed, heart failure, diabetes a chronic kidney infection, then a hip replacement last year, than another this year. I lived in the hospital each time for up to a week at a time, never slept, but was running on adrenaline. Then early this summer I seemed to have caved in, I had to push to get up and do things, On vacation I slept most of the time, would fall asleep on my friend's couch after dinner, very embarrassing. It has escalated that I go to bed around 9:30 but I get up at noon or 1 in the afternoon, with lots of aches. Had a week of a sore throat and aches in my joints, my doctor thought I was stressed(aren't we all?). But now I can barely function, my house is a mess, I have done laundry in a week, I can't remember anything, I am depressed.I guess it could be worse, but no one understands.
  12. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I had restless leg syndrome, fatigue, etc.. when younger. In my teens. A car accident in 1993--a stressed lifestyle, not coping very well.
  13. clueless

clueless New Member

As I look back it started many years ago. We took our children to Washington D.C. on vacation.I was so tired when we took a bus trip, I slept. When we walkwd up stairs I thought I would die from the pain and tightness in my legs . I truly believe that was my introduction to the disease but that was many years ago and no one knew the cause. Clueless
  14. sybil

sybil New Member

without actually being ill.
    pain during the night,restless sleep.falling asleep during the day at work,pain in my hands,elbows,arms.more pain,which i first put down the the arthritis in my spine and left hip.
    i suppose if i try and think back over the last 3 years.i seemed to start having sleep trouble after i had my last cervical rib removed December 1999,a very painful operation.i was born with 2 extra ribs,i had the first one removed in 1997.i also had sinus surgery in 2001
    but summer 2001 my doctor put me on Seroxat for stress during some personal problems,that have since been resolved.
    Seroxat gave me lots of side-effects,it turned me into a different person,a demented,suicidal monster!
    i did,'cold turkey'..i was so desperate to come off it.the withdrawal was very traumatic.i experienced electric shock like feelings in my brain,complete disorientation,it was hell and i am now considering legal action along with other Seroxat sufferes in the U.K.
    it's been downhill from then!

sybilxxx
    [This Message was Edited on 09/18/2002]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/18/2002]