How did these FMS/CFS symptoms begin.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by maxtout, Sep 25, 2003.

1. maxtout

maxtout New Member

I was just curious as to how many of us had these symptoms start after a bout with a flu-like illness or pneumonia. My FMS/CFS symptoms started after a case of Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis) with pneumonia. I just wonder sometimes if this stuff is in some way related to certain mycotic diseases, like histoplasmosis or cryptococcosis which is commonly found in the soil in various areas of the US and other countries as well. Sometimes these infections present themselves as no more than a flu-like illness with fever, coughing, achy joints and muscles, etc.
  2. IgotYou

IgotYou New Member

I think there is a certain range of symptoms a body will display when it's sick. Those symptoms can have many causes. For example, tiredness can be because of lack of sleep, allergic reaction, hypoglycemia, insulin shock, CFIDS, cold, flu, etc., etc. I think pretty much all of the symptoms of FM are like that, which is why it is so hard to diagnose. I've read that it's very similar in way to several autoimmune diseases, as well as lyme disease, and some others. So it seems possible that some who think they have FM really have something else, and visa versa. I also have heard that a person could be predisposed to FM genetically, and that some sort of stress or trauma or illness will trigger it. I have not heard of anyone who just got it and never had anything happen to them that could have been the trigger, but I suppose it's possible. Probably most of us have a hunch about what triggered it and about what events have made it worse. That's my theory, anyway.

[ advertisement ]