How did you cope after quitting your job????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jole, Sep 24, 2006.

1. jole

jole Member

After working forever, I finally just could not do it any more. I loved my job as a transcriptionist, but the pain in my back, neck and shoulders plus the migraines and fatigue just did me in. I cut back a day thinking that would help and it didn't.

Quitting was very hard, because it wasn't what I wanted. But I had turned into a robot, not a person, and my family knew I wouldn't be here a year from now if I didn't.

Soooo...I guess I really blew it, thinking when I quit and was at home that my "life" would return to normal. :( I was going to clean the entire house, sort through things and get our home in order again. Instead, I wandered around the house not knowing what to do first, ran out of energy, slept, then wandered some more.

Having a real problem getting into a routine of any sort. It's kinda like I'm in denial all over again, thinking I could take on the world and it's not going to happen. I know the "little steps" theory, but my heart doesn't want to hear it!!! Even though little steps is all I can take anyway lol.

I honestly only have a few good hours a day to do things in anyway, and that is in paced increments. So why did I think I could do it all in a week??

How did you all cope with the adjustment?

Friends-
    Jole
  2. janieb

janieb New Member

I wish I had an answer for you. I, too, took early retirement after 40 years of working. Loved my job, but simply could not keep going.

Now I'm home and feeling depressed because everything in my life should be in perfect condition. Perfect I can't do and can't maintain. I do hear people with FM are often depressed. Guess that's my question for the next time I go to the doctor.

Meanwhile, if you find a good answer, please remember me.

janieb
  3. jole

jole Member

Thanks for the replies. Guess the best teacher is time, huh? My son says I just need to relax and enjoy awhile instead of pushing soo hard, but I guess I just don't know how to do anything but push and crash for so long now.

So guess it's time to learn. Maybe I can calm down a bit and not be so jittery inside.

Thanks again!
    Jole
  4. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

Hi Jole, My story is a lot like yours. I to thought I would get everything in order when I had to retire. The reality is I have a few good hours a day just like you. I have had to learn to accept and priortize what I want to spend my precious energy on each day.

I knew I had to retire, did so, and then was angry when I didn't immediately feel better. With anger came depression and denial. I have now worked through to acceptance and am finding myself in a better space.

I hope you can find your way to acceptance. It takes longer than we want it to, but you will do better as time passes. Take care
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Wish I had an answer for you but I sure can relate to every word you said..Oh, how I can...

I can say that with time it gets better, maybe acceptance..I use to watch my neighbors go to work and cry because I was "stuck" in the house..Like you mentioned there were things I thought I would be able to do if not working, but to my big surprise it didn't work that way..

I haven't worked in four years and still miss my use to be life, seems I can't find me or what I should do or shouldn't any more...One reason is my family keeps going and doing as if nothing has changed..Well, for them maybe not but for me...I just get sick and tired of being sick and tired and not much understanding from family and use to be friends..

The depression / anxiety did find me big time but I am trying to count the positive things and the things I can do instead of what I can't..To be honest some times it helps some times it doesn't..

My prayers are with you.
    greatgran