How different is my beginning of FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suemorr, Mar 14, 2006.

1. suemorr

suemorr New Member

I know some of you can tell exactly when you got FM, but I'm not sure how typical my experience is. I'd swear my symptoms became progressive, yet I've read it's not a progressive thing.

I don't think that I could narrow down when it started. I went to the rheumy in 2001 simply because my back was getting worse. Sure, I was tired and slept rotten, but that got worse in 2004 when I was getting about 2 hours of sleep a night for a month. Now 2000 was not a good year either with a fall on my back, the worst outbreak of mouth sores I've ever had, and slicing up my leg while walking on rocks at the beach. Got a tetanus shot for that. :)

So could one of those events have set FM into motion? Has anyone else had a similar situation with FM?

2. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Many of us have expressed that our symptoms go back as far as childood to some degree. But then events happen to trigger a worsening.

I had a car accident in 1990 which preceded the first major symptoms of intense face pain and fatique.

My twin preg in 2000 brought on much more generalized pain.

In the past two years I have developed intense foot pain and dry eyes. Now also in my hands.

My doc says that though it doesn't appear to be DEGENERATIVE it does seem to be PROGRESSIVE. Does that make sense? The symptoms do seem to increase over time even though they may not be damaging the body in any obvious way.

Hope that helps a little.

Sofi
  3. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I can pin point when this started, but when I look back I can tell that it was long before the DX.

My doc said it is not progressive in that it isn't like cancer or MS. He said it isn't a fatal diagnoses and that is why it isn't considered progressive.

However, he also said that symptoms may get worse or better as time goes on. I've mostly noticed worse! Of course I am more aware of what these symptoms are than I was before I was diagnosed.

Each of us is different and the disease progresses or doesn't progress differently for each of us.

Don't you just hate that we get all these yes and no answers! Nothing is easy with this disease!

Hugzz,
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!

4. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I just love your sign off of stop and smell the puppies!

It always makes me smile. :)

Sofi
  5. suemorr

suemorr New Member

Thank you, Greenbean. That makes sense. I was thinking of the term "progressive" because I don't recall it's eased up that much. It just seems to keep getting worse.

I remember my rheumy thought in the beginning that it was RA because I started to also get the matching pain on both sides of my body, along with the back pain. But the meds always came back as normal. That used to drive me crazy.