How do I ask for Medication? PLEASE READ

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mnweb6, Feb 22, 2006.

1. mnweb6

mnweb6 New Member

Hi everyone...I am going to a pain clinic today, and I really need a change in pain medicine! Everytime I go to the dr, they ask me what is it I want? I feel so uncomfortable asking for any type of new meds, or an increase in pain medicine! They treat me as though I am a drug addict! I am new to this whole thing, and I could use some advice on what I need, and how to ask for it...I have no idea!

Please let me know what it is you have tried and how you did it.

Thank you!

Mindy
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I would tell them what is "not working" and see what they recommend. It is mostly "trial and error" to get pain meds right.

Just let them know you are still hurting and let the doctor decide. Hopefully, they will help you.

You are right, if you start specifically asking for certain meds, somehow it goes over wrong.

With my doctors, I always hate to take pain meds and they were always telling me to take them.

I don't know what doctors expect...

[This Message was Edited on 02/22/2006]
  3. voiceteacher

voiceteacher New Member

giving the REASON why you need the medication. I have been very successful getting the medications that I need by explaining the daily tasks that I NEED to accomplish and what days I cannot do them and why. The doctors are usually very good about finding a solution if you are honest about your reasoning rather than seeking a SPECIFIC drug.

Voice
  4. mnweb6

mnweb6 New Member

do you do when they specifically ask you what it is you want? They never recommend anything, they just ask me what it is I want. I tell them that the vicodin is not working, and their only response is I need to loose weight, and exercise! They don't recommend any other type of pain meds...I hope things go differently today.
  5. voiceteacher

voiceteacher New Member

I guess you go in with an idea of what might work for you based on the research that you have done...however when my doctor asked me what I wanted, I told him "I want something that will really work for pain so that I can get up the stairs and to work on my toughest days, but that I don't have to take if I can get through the day without it. I don't want to depend on a drug full time, and I don't want to tell you what to perscribe because I will bet that the ones that I hear of on-line are the heavier drugs and I would like to start with the lightest one possible for me."

He was very receptive to that and has been the in charge type since. I also told him that I would be willing to check in with him each month to tell him how many and when I had to take the meds, this way he would know when I needed to go up or down in number of pills.
  6. jake123

jake123 New Member

I told my doctor that I didn't care if he wanted to start me on a non opioid as long as it was something he thought would help me. He gave me a prescription of Skelaxin and it really has helped me.
    Also, he told me to take my migraine meds even if I didn't have a headache - just for body pain. And it worked. So be open to what they suggest, it just might help. I don't exercise because of my right leg, it is a proper mess right now from the hip down. The pills help it from throbbing but it doesn't help with the stiffness and inability to walk very far.