How do I ask my Dr. for cont. lortab w/o sounding addictive?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by medievaldigger, Jan 19, 2007.

1. medievaldigger

medievaldigger New Member

I was daignosed with FM a while back, and my Dr. gave me Lortab with the instructions for 1 caplet every four hours for pain (That was Dec 8) and there was a refill. I am nearly out of the final refill, having taken about a half to a whole one every other day. I have tried to minimize what I take.
    My issue is this. I live in a small town with a grandmother who had undiagnosed FM (we all see that in hindsight now) and she became addicted to Valeum and struggled with alchoholism to self medicate.
    I don't drink, I have never until this diagnosis taken Lortab or anything like it at all, but I fear my Dr. will assume I am becoming my grandmother. (He was a young intern with my grandmother's doctor many years ago.)
    So to ask for a refill, I am torn between daring to ask, and fearing to not have it. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Stacy
  2. TinaJones

TinaJones New Member

I think it is completely reasonable - if the Lortab is working for your pain - to ask for a continued prescription. Talk to you doctor, tell him it helped with your pain, etc. It seems like you've been very cautious with your meds in terms of dosaging.

Even though your grandmother had issues, I don't think this is any reason for your doctor to think you will be the same. I would just talk to your doctor honestly and go from there. Good luck to you...take care. --Tina
  3. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

You need to continue to treat it! Tell him you need refills.
    Mini
  4. medievaldigger

medievaldigger New Member

I'm supposed to call this morning...scared though. I'll let you know the results!
    Thanks
    Stacy