How do I cook a chicken breast?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kathleen12, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I am not really looking for a recipe because I really don't have any ingredients. But I just wanted to bake a chicken breast for myself and add a little garlic, horsemint, and maybe some Tony Chatcherie's. But I am so stupid when it comes to cooking and have never baked a chicken breast. What temp do I cook it at? Do I cover the chicken? How long to bake it?

I have to boil chicken breasts for my husband's dog and I am getting tired of eating a boiled chicken sandwich....LOL. HELP!
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

You can bake it with your flavoring in a 350-375 oven for about 20-30 minutes. I would loosely wrap it in aluminim foil to retain the moisture. If your not sure if it is done just cut it in the thickest part and if there is ANY pink put it back in until the pink is gone.

I also just cook it in a skillet using a non-stick cooking spray, slow cook it with a lid on it. I like to cut it into strips and lightly flour them and fry them in a little oil and non stick cooking spray.

I am not a fan of boiled chicken either-I hope this helped Carla
  3. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I am cooking it now. Knowing me, though, I've probably already overseasoned it! AND I'll forget I even have soemthing in the oven and burn it beyond recognition...LOL!
  4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi Kathleen,

The timeing depends if s boneless or not. If it has the bone in it you will need to cook itlonger, aboaaut 1 hr. Twenty minutes is good for boneless.

Also I brown it after seasong it with garlic pepper . After that I remove it and add a little water (about 1/4 c or so) or wine to take the bits off the bottom and add 1 can of r of mushroom soup .

Depending on how much water or wine you added he first time adjust the amount you might want to add to the soup. You don;t want a runny sauce or relaly runny with no taste. Cook for about 1 hour with top on (simmer) and serve. If it is skinless and bonesless you can decrease the cooking time. If they are really skinny breast and have no bone 20 min or less might do it,

This sauce is also great on rice, potatoes or whatever.

I do that alot but baking is really easy to 20- 30 min without the bone. Just pierce to see when the juices run clear.

Baking you can just add seasonings and some chopped onion and mayabe a bit of water in the baking pan and baste it while it is cooking. So it does not dry out. The onilns help alot to the flavor I think. Oh you can also add some paprika to but not to much.

Hope that helps for another time.

5. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Your dish sounds really yummy. I'll try that next time I'm able to get to the store for soup. I'm getting some wine today, but I don't think there'll be any left before I cook again....LOL. I did add a bit of onion and paprika and Chatcherie's, but I was totally out of horsemint. Can't wait until autumn so I can gather some more. Horsemint is the "spice of life" for me.

any way, my chicken turned out well, though a bit saltier than should have been (I ALWAYS over salt) and it was quite juicy. Thanks
  6. budmickl

budmickl New Member

What is horsemint?

7. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Pycnanthemum Incanum....AKA Hoary Mountainmint and White Horsemint. This grows as a tall weed down here and the Native Americans used it medicinally in teas for constipation, headaches, stomach ulcers and beleive it or not as a poultice for inflamed penis! (I don't even want to know how their penises got inflamed...LOL). But I have not read where anyone uses it as an herb. My family and others have used it as a seasoning for generations. It is great cooked in tomato gravy, red beans, and seasoning wild game.

Each late summer, I gather it and tie it into small bundles to be hung and dried. Then I clean and process it by using an old flour sifter, bag it and put it in the freezer. At Christmas time, I send jars of it out to my Aunts and Uncles on the west coast where it doesn't grow. They always ask me for it and they in turn give little dabs of it away to their own children.
  8. LenoreR

LenoreR New Member

I'm glad your chicken turned out well for you!

I have a son who will only eat plain, boneless, skinless chicken breasts. So here's what I do: spray a pyrex rectangular dish; add the chicken breast; pit in about 1/4 inch high of water and cook at 350 degrees about 25 min for one, 30 for two (I do an hour for six breasts about one and a half inches thick). Viola! For the rest of my family, I can then baste with some sauce, or add spices and put back in oven for five minutes.

You mentioned having to prepare plain chicken for your husband's dog; this might be a way to cook for all of you! Cutting the cooked chicken into strips and tossing it with your favorite sauces, veggies and/or minute rice is another easy thing, like Granni's sounds (yum, granni!).

By the way, if you buy bone in, you can cut the bones off against the ribs or as said above, just cook a little longer.

Good luck and enjoy,
  9. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Yes, I was going to also ask you about that stuff that someone else just asked you about. Sorry, can't remember (-: Can you buy it anywhere. If not I guess I will do without it. Althought I could used it for my constipation. What does it tast like ???

BTW, you can also do almost the same thing with the soup with pork chops. If so do everything the same BUT you might want to also add little bit of soy sauce , a few shakes or so to the mushroom soup. You can also add a little bit of dried chives and or parsely if you have it to the soup before cooking. Of course, the pork chops have a bone, so cook them about 1 hr., check to see with the fork in case they ae very thick. I love the sause it makes. DH ends up licking the pan when we are done. Plus he is always stealing sauce while the meat or chicken is cooking.. You can of course double the soup if you like alot of people and are cooking for more people.

Persona;;y, I do not kow what I woud do without Cr. of Mushroom soup. I hae coked with it for years with my family of 5 kids, 1 DH and 1 FIL. Thank God it is only DH and myself now.

Just experiment. Then you can eliminate or add stuff to your liking after you have tried a dish once. You really can do alot with chicken.

Oh chicken and stuffing bake is an easy one to with 1 can of cr. of mushroom soup some sourcream ( like 1/3 cup) Mix them together and mix the stovetop stuffing in the pot as directed. Take a baking dish and put the season chicken in a baking dish, add the soup and sour cream mixture together , put on top of chicken. Then add the stuffing mixture on top of the chicken and soup mixture. Bake about 30- min- 1 hr depending on the size of the chicken breasts and if they have bones, at 350.. If they have bones they will need to cook about 1 hour. You can cover with foil lightly for awhile and then take it off if you want the top to crisp or dry out a bit.

Hope this helps to for another day.

More hugs,

10. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I make the same pork chop recipe but add a chopped onion after browining the pork chops. The onion turns translucent in just a minute or two. Then I add the cream of mushroom soup, soy sauce, etc.

Kathleen. I use boneless skinless chicken breasts. I tuck under the thin part of the meat to try to make the meat a uniform thickness.

I like to use crushed potato chips on my chicken breast. Usually the chips near the bottom of the bag are little pieces. I put them in a plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin. I put the chicken breasts in one at a time and coat them with the crushed potato(is there an "e" on the end of that word???) chips. I bake them in the oven on a teflon coated pan.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/24/2008]
  11. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I just wish I was able to use them. I am trying to reduce my size a bit and am going to stay with either boiled, plain baked, or nothing for a while. But I am writing all this down for future reference for when I want to reward myself for my efforts. And....I am the only one here to cook for (besides the sick dog who has to eat ONLY boiled chicken or pork chops) so I just take whatever I cook for her and feed me. In a way, I guess you could say I'm eating "dog" food...LOL.

Thank you all for these wonderful tips and ideas.
  12. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I don't think you can buy the horsemint anywhere unless it is sold at natural food stores somewhere. And I can't describe it's would be like trying to explain the flavor of cinnamon to someone who has never tasted it. But it is not at all like the mints we are familiar with in our cupboards. It does not taste like mint at all. I wish there was a way to send you a sample.
  13. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

For a quick MOIST yummy chicken breast-
    I season the heck out of it, add Italian dressing, cover with foil and bake for 45 min-1 hr. Always comes out moist and wonderfully seasoned. My kids actually think I 'made up' the seasoning -

Hint - hide the bottle of dressing.