How do I decipher pain? Suggestions, please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RatsWife, Jul 23, 2008.

1. RatsWife

RatsWife New Member

I awoke during the night with an almost 9 level pain in my neck.

I've had spinal fusion (2000) and the pain was like what I had before the surgery. But now I have FM and all the signals, both pain and pleasure, are so exaggerated that I cannot tell if it's something serious.

Is this a "crick" in my neck or do I need to get into to see the neurosurgeon?

How do you guys know what to do? I need some pointers desperately.

2. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

It is hard to tell what is what. I have had mine checked but they have not offered that I need any help.
  3. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I have never had that type of surgery so my advice may not be for you.

Every day I wake up though whichever side I was laying on hurts. When I do have severe neck pain I use a heat pack.

So I guess it's just a way of saying if something easy helps, or it clears up in a couple of hours, then maybe it's not from what you had before.

Obviously if it continues you should see your doctor.

Take care
  4. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

to decipher pains and feelings when you have FM. My advice would be if it is something that clears up quickly or with a heating pad or something then it may not be too serious. If it persists then see a doc.

Just to be on the safe side I make sure I see my regular doc once a month and I make sure I get my physicals and GYN exams on time that way if something is there they are more likely to catch it.

I had a case where I didn't do that for the first few years I lived in the US and I had a ovarian cyst that went from small to 11 pounds. I will never make that mistake again...I make sure I have very regular doc visits.
  5. caffey

caffey New Member

If something doesn't feel right you should go and get it checked. Better to have a false alarm than miss something serious. Take care.
  6. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

I agree with the others. Listen to your body. If something is bothering you enough for you to post here...then I would make a call to your dr or his/her nurse. Better safe then sorry. I had a headache for over a week. Thought it was just the usual FM stuff - turned out I had a severe sinus infection. My dr scolded me for not coming in sooner, and she was absolutely right.

Call your dr. If nothing else, it will ease your stress.

feel better,
  7. ironspine

ironspine New Member

I too had spinal fusion in 1976. If I have any pain such as you described and it lasts more than 2 days, I get it checked out-I see a chiropractor and usually he justs lightly adjusts me to fix the area. I don't know where you were fused, but even then we still get out of place by laying on a pillow the wrong way, or strain on our muscles from some sort of overuse. But if you don't see a chiropractor, get it checked by your regular doctor. For me, searing, burning pain is a pulled muscle, not fibro. Fibro for me is over-all discomfort in my joints, exhaustion, and that chilled "flu" feeling. I hope this helps a little. Tell us how you do!
  8. RatsWife

RatsWife New Member

Thank you all so much! I knew I'd find some guidance in here. I've contacted the neurosurgeon's offices but I'm sure they'll call me back to say get a referral. If it's hurting this badly in the morning, I'll call my PCP and go from there.

You all are just the BEST! Thank you! Thank YOU all!

Peace and Gentle Hugs,