How do I eat healthy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by katmolly, Dec 24, 2006.

1. katmolly

katmolly New Member

This may sound ridiculous. but I've noticed a lot of suggestions not to eat dairy or wheat. what do you eat then? Is whole wheat okay?

Can anyone suggest supplements? Thank you
  2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Keep a diary of symptoms and what you eat at each meal. Look for coorelations of feeling like crap and you ate eggs.

The most common food allergens are Corn, Wheat and dairy.

Most allergens are the protien part of the food, once food is digested into amino acids, there is no trace of the original protien left. What breaks down protiens are enzymes. Enzyme names end in -ase, so protease dissolves protein. Lipase dissolves lipids (fats). The digestion process begins with chewing food a lot. You'll get more nutrition out of the food and less allergic symptoms.

The other part of nutritional advice is to eat RAW foods as much as possible. Cook meats, but eating raw fruits and vegetables will provide enzymes for digestion and systemic benefits. Juicing does wonders for us CFS ppl, since it chews and makes lots of veggies available at one sitting. See the solid blue stickie where ppl have posted juicing recipies.

Melons are really high in enzymes. Honeydew is still readily available here in Texas.

Juicing fruits tends to make too much sugar available with out the fruit fiber to slow down the absorbtion. "Viruses breathe sugar" William Wong N.D.

Try other grains, oatmeal, buckwheat groats or Rice 'n Shine are great breakfast foods. Health food stores usually carry non-wheat breads...see if you feel better w/o wheat. Ezekiel 4:9 bread is a sprouted grain bread.

3. Catseye

Catseye Member

Those suggestions about dairy and wheat are because alot of us have developed food intolerances and these seem to be the most common. The problem is, wheat and dairy are in everything! The SAD (standard American diet) is full of baked goods (all full of wheat) and dairy (cheese, whey, milk, yogurt). This means no more: ice cream, sandwiches (unless you buy gluten-free bread), cookies (get gluten-free cookies), pizza, pasta (wheat again), cereal (no oats either, they have gluten), etc. See how complicated this can be?

Whole wheat is unacceptable, too, because it has gluten which just wreaks havoc on certain people. I think it's because it gums up your intestines and causes your immune system to get hypersensitive. The precise term is "celiac disease" which you can google.

Then we have dairy intolerance. It's one or more of the following: lactose intolerance, casein allergy and, again, interference with intestines and immune system activation. It's not wise to go to the doctor and have these things tested because the tests are not very reliable. Give them up for a few weeks and see if you improve. Maybe one day you can add them back. But you can't expect the symptoms to be obvious. When I eat wheat I feel crumby all over. And when I eat dairy, I feel like I'm dying. But this isn't right after I eat them, it's like much later or even the next day.

I only have cfs, though, no pain. So I can't help you with that, but prickles seems to have the pain thing cornered, look at her posts. And as for supplements, I take a bunch but they're all for specific symptoms.

Make sure you start with good, easily absorbable vitamin AND mineral formulas, but get them from a health food store; you don't want anything like Centrum, for example. And if your digestion is sluggish, like if you feel "too full" after eating, especially fat or protein, then consider taking digestive enzymes. Incidentally, that's one way to tell a dairy intolerance, if you feel really full after drinking milk or eating cheese but it's not a sure test.

Start loading up on vegetables. If you hate them, boil them in chicken broth (without msg) first. And cut them up small and mix a bunch of different ones together. The more varied you have, the better the taste. Use plenty of onion, garlic and all colors of peppers. Have them with every meal. They are loaded with what you need and if you're eating veggies, then you're not eating other junk.

This can be inconvenient and expensive, as fresh product is not as cheap as wheat containing baked goods like cookies and crackers. The gluten-free stuff you can get at any health food store. You can pretty much get anything you want, bread, cookies, crackers, pancake mix even. And don't eat alot of fat, especially animal fat (saturated). That's another thing about dairy, it's loaded with saturated fat.

Spend some time here and you'll figure out what to do.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

karen
  4. katmolly

katmolly New Member

I feel like I got more from you all than I've ever gotten from any doctor. Thank you a million times for that help. I really appreciate it.

Katmolly
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Another thing you can do when beginning to eat healthier is to begin to eliminate chemically processed foods.

That may mean grocery shopping from the outer isles instead of the rows and rows of boxed and canned products that aren't really food.

Even chicken soup tastes so much better when you cook it on the stove rather than opening a can which is filled with too much salt and preservatives.

Remember, there are many herbs and spices out there...salt and pepper aren't the only ones.

I highly recommend Rachel Ray's cookbooks to begin to learn how to cook with flavors that pop, fresh ingredients like veggies and you can cook so fast it's amazing.

Just remember, potatoes don't come from a box....cheese isn't in powdered form etc...and you'll learn to look at food in a new way.

Happy Holiday Hugs,

Nancy B
  6. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Hi Katmolly. :) What grade do you teach?

I've been through so much hassle over the food thing, believe me!

Here's what's been helpful for me.

1. Keep a food journal.
    2. Eat simple stuff.

For the food journal: each day, jot down whether your symptoms are the same as usual, or if they change in any way. (I put a black square next to unusual symptoms so I can spot them at a glance.) For what I eat, I write what time and what I wrote. I circle the name of the food so I can spot it. It's also helpful to use the journal to rate your pain with a number value, note the weather, write any unusual stresses. If food is affecting you, this will help you to notice it and work around it. I have some really weird sensitivities that there's no way I would have spotted otherwise. With the help of the food journal, now I know that regular chocolate gives me a headache the next day, but organic chocolate doesn't. Priceless! :D

2. Simpler food, simpler life. (Not more FUN, but more simple.) A meal can be something like:
    - a few handfuls of raw nuts
    - carob chips
    - a cucumber or other raw vegetable
    - an apple or other fruit
    - scrambled eggs
    - organic canned soup (I like Amy's lentil vegetable)
    - baked fish with lemon
    - baked vegetables

These are just a few ideas. Candida cookbooks are good for this sort of thing. It's a hurdle to get over the idea that a meal has to have lots of stuff going on in it, but once you get used to eating simple stuff, food is such a no-brainer. It's a big time-saver just scrambling eggs or eating some nuts instead of cooking a regular dinner.

Here's another thing about diet you might not hear enough. Being sick the way we are can make you crave things. Sometimes you crave what you need, even if it seems like a weird thing to want. (I crave olive oil, butter and salt. Prickles is into poppy seeds right now.)

The food journal and trying different things will help you notice what works well and what doesn't. The candida diet is pretty easy on the tummy. If you think someting's a problem, try cutting it out for a couple of weeks and see if you still want it and if you react okay. Some things are fine once in awhile but not every day.

(( ))
  7. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Kat,
    I don't eat diary because I'm intolerant of it. It creates a whole lot of mucous in my system, and lots of intestinal gas.

I don't eat wheat for the same reason. Some people aren't allergic or intolerant of wheat and gluten, I guess it is fine for them. I eat gluten free rice bread , plain corn tortillas and millet.

My symptoms of a wheat allergy are: that I got intstinal gas, I would gain weight very fast, my face would swell and I get a headache after eating it.

Good luck,
    Terry

8. evol_or_revert

evol_or_revert New Member

I've been working three years on it now ahh.

It all depends on you. Only you can know what you can and can't eat.

As suggested I found a food journal very helpful. as it pin pointed the food that where causing problems.

I've never been able to have dairy so that was easy.

For months I went without eating wheat but it really didn't help, till I found something on here about soy and yes everything had soy in it. With out the soy I am fine with wheat.

So now i've got it down to dairy, soy and limited sugar.

keep working on it you will get there

evol