How do I find anything about the long term consequences of SSRI's

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by namow, Apr 13, 2003.

1. namow

namow New Member

Can anyone tell me more about it or where to find any info on the subject?
    And does this means that the people who has been taking AD for many years (about 18 for me) are in big trouble???
    By the way my depression is really bad right now and lexapro (30 mg) is not helping.
    I guess I am completely down and in a lot of pain.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Surely, there must be some studies done of this. Prozac has been around for a long time. I do think one of the problems is that there are probably all kinds of problems for long-term use of many drugs and what happens to one person may not happen to another.

I believe that antidepressants certainly have thier place in medicine as do stimulants, pain meds, benzos, etc. What has always bothered me is the ease with which some docs prescribe drugs, especially antidepressants.

I have heard that many of these drugs change the chemistry of the brain and that over time, the changes become permanent. I do not know whether this is true or not. Hopefully, someone with some knowledge of long-term use of these meds will be able to enlighten us. This is an important issue for us.

Love, Mikie
  3. namow

namow New Member

Thank you for your response, we really need to know what the medicines we are taking are doing to our bodies, we only have one!!!!!

[This Message was Edited on 04/13/2003]
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think this is a serious question and, hopefully, some one will know the answer.

Love, Mikie