how do i get better

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by sadpumpkin, Jun 24, 2009.

1. sadpumpkin

sadpumpkin New Member

Quick background. Got divorced, dealt with that, threw myself into my work. Got fired because I wouldn't agree to do something illegal. Could not find a job. Person I was dating slept with my best friend. Couldn't pay my rent. My parents told me to come home, we had never had a good relationship. I had left my hometown many years ago. Within a month, they made me leave after maxing out credit cards to move everything back. Survived on the charity of a few people.
    I did get a job which I am grateful for even though it isn't what I want to be doing. I was always physically and socially active. I got a place and I never leave it. I work from home and never go out. Every day I wake up and count the hours until I can sleep again. Tried medication, had no effect. Gone to therapy, no breakthrough. Have always been a positive person but have nothing left in my heart or in my soul.
    If anyone has a fresh perspective, I would love to hear it.
  2. stick2013

stick2013 Member

Sounds to me like you have been through a lot.......I'm sorry that you have had to endure all of this....

Being depressed is hard, but you are an intelligent person and you know the things that you should do, so I will give you a little shove towards doing them.....

Exercise......exercise......eating healthy, therapy, meds you may want to try a different one, get your vitamin D level checked, positive self talk helps, and venting here and on the depression board will help.... Also try the chit chat board for a few laughs.....

You seem like a very strong person, one that IS pulling out of this, slowly but getting there. You now have a job, and have a place to stay...That's progress......
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board. Sorry to hear things are not going well.

Too bad meds didn't work. I am so old that there were NO antidepressants when
    I was young. Did you try more than one? One of my drs told me it is just trial and
    error to get the med and the patient matched up.

Here are some things that have helped me. Vitamin D3. I take 5000 IUs a day.
    The Vitamin B12 patch.

The book Feeling Good by David Burns.

The 12 step group Emotions Anonymous. You can find it on the net.

None of these is expensive.

Good luck.

Rock
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I'm sorry to hear that you've been through so much!

How long ago did all of this happen - you moving back, the new job etc.? I ask because I've been through that and it definitely takes some time to get back into the swing of things. Especially when things haven't turned out how we thought they would, we're dealing with that disappointment, most like some depression, lack of motivation and possibly not even knowing what to do.

At some point, you're going to have to take that step and force yourself. Have you made any friends at your new job? Can you even go for a walk when you get home from work?

What is gone from your soul (you don't have to answer here, but just ask yourself) - is it loss? well, it's completely normal to feel sad, angry, depressed etc. Is it over your marriage, your parents? Have you identified what you're feeling?

I wouldn't suggest dwelling right now cause you really need to just move forward at this moment...to start making yourself feel better.
    It's going to start with your thoughts. Our thoughts control our feelings.

TRY to do one thing a day that you enjoy. Doesn't matter how big or small.
    Please keep us posted!

Janalynn
  5. lynncats

lynncats New Member

i'm reading a book, just started, and it talks about our "thoughts". I'll look up the nme of it tomorrow. I like your "thoughts", LOL, but your response was great.

HUGS

LYNN
  6. painjayne

painjayne New Member

Hello, your letter breaks my heart and I cry. I took care of my Mom with alzheimers for 13 years. Didn't want to live the last few years, so depressed. My daughter was abused and left pregnant by her husband, I found out later and moved her home. I had cancer at 12 and was left uncared for by alcoholic parents up until the age of two, (then adopted by loving parents). Music, singing, gardening, and my new grandchildren brought me back. My husband is unaffectionate and sleeps a lot with his own demons.
    Now, I wake up one morning and cannot move as if hit by a truck. This after 3 years of undiagnosed pain in my feet, three different doctors. I feel an antibiotic did this, as the last day of the last pill I felt a sinking horrible depression.
    I meditate, I pray, and steriods took the biggest part of the pain away. Now I am trying plaquenil and ALL OF THE NATURAL SUGGESTONS on this site and any others I may find. My diet will be fish mostly and veggies and rice and rice milk. I will post all I do if it helps. Buying the msm today.
    Stay strong in your heart, love and determination. There has to be a reason for this and there must be an answer.......................painjayne