How do I get out of FB, PH, Yahoo etc. when the x to get out disappears?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Granniluvsu, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

I know it is something stupid but we have to continuously reboot and turn off the stupid computer to get out of whatever program we are in except perhaps e-mail. We must have touched something in error and now can't get out of almost all we get into.

Off to another funeral. This has got to stop.

Love,
    Granni :(:confused:
  2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Hi Diane,

I am still fooling around with it but I have found that if I go to the upper right corner where the x usually is and rt. click on it the x comes up. Or it says scroll and you can click on it to scroll and the x comes up. It gives some other choices too but I forget what they say.

However, just trying to see if I can figure out how to keep the x there. It keeps disappearing after I click on it to get out of it but when I come back it is gone. Very strange. Will keep your notes also for any help I might be needing, now as in the future.

I use Yahoo as the browser but also have Firefox and Google Chrome. These computers can drive you crazy. Lucky that Kevin is a guru of some proportion :)! I at least have more patient than DH so he gives up and lets me try my hand at it - Our son the guru is not to close to us.:confused:

Have you had your dr. appt. yet? Hope you are starting to feel better.

Love ya,
    Granni :)
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Diane -

Although I have averted the crisis in at least getting out of the program I am trying to figure out why I have to keep repeating the same thing to get out of FB PH and Yahoo. If I get the x and then click on it it is gone again till I repeat the process.

When I first click to get into the program I see the tabs go down and then the swoop right back up again so I cannot see them. If I fix the situation it is not permanent it is only temporary. Very strange !

Hugz,
    Granni
  4. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

Granni, I NEVER had a desire for the FB world....do my best to keep MOST of my life very simple...and more computer stuff just complicates it more....checking in with email with friends, etc. is good ENOUGH....good luck there. jm

And yes Diane is fortunate to have the techie help in her house....I'm hanging out here alone and spent a frustrating 1 hr+ with Verizon out of India the other day as I was having an issue...and yes he fixed it but messed up another issue.....soooooooooooooo and the younger folks have a MUCH better handle on all this stuff....I was born way too early.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This happens to me from time to time and I can never figure out what key I've hit to make I happen. All my bars disappear, both top and bottom. What I've done is drastic but it works. I press the Microsoft Start key on the keyboard and go to the control panel. I click on restore and pick the last date at the top. I go through the steps and it restarts my computer, setting it back to before I did whatever I did to screw it up.

Don't we have a puter geek here to help us?

Love, Mikie
    paulac7 likes this.
  6. paulac7

paulac7 Member

I have had strange things happen to me on occasion, also....and the quickest fix, is like Mikie said.....just do a system restore...just be sure to pick a date before you noticed this issue.....it won't change anything, and should resolve the problem.....I've never used Chrome, so I'm not much help there, sorry.....but try what Mike said....and let us know if it helps....

ETA--doing a System Restore isn't really that drastic....lol.....It's saved me a LOT of grief over the years.....that's basically what it's there for....a safe way to fix a 'what the heck did I do, and now it won't work, syndrome'...but then, I create a 'Mirror Image' of my entire hard drive about every two weeks or so...and keep it on an external hard drive and a disc....just to be safe....but that's a bit extreme for the average user.....didn't mean to ramble on...but I know a decent amount about computers....in fact I built the gaming system I have....has pretty blue lights all over it.... ;-)
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Mikie - Where is the Microsoft key on the keyboard that you are talking about? I have gotten the issue resolved but I hadn't had time to try your suggestion. Thanks also to Diane, Paulac and Jam for your info..

Not exactly sure what I did but I also went to the right hand side where the x usually is and rt click there. An x will appear or a drop down to SCROLL. Click on that and it resolved the CRISIS , at least on my computer.:)!!

Have to looks some other stuff up on the computer so I need to run for now.

Love ya,
    Granni :)
  8. paulac7

paulac7 Member

Granni--the "Microsoft key" is on the last row 2 over from the space bar(next to the alt key)....I have 2...one on either side....but this is a gaming keyboard, so there are a LOT of buttons on it....anyhow the MS key is the one with the windows logo on it...looks kind of like a flag flying...hope this helps!!!
  9. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Thanks Paulac for confirming on the Microsoft key. If I would have really thought about it I think I could have guessed it :)!! I forgot about that little flag Microsoft symbol temporarily.

Hugz,
    Granni